1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Netbook running Word and Excel

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ARGUS_328, Jun 9, 2009.

1. ARGUS_328

ARGUS_328 Regular member

Hey Guys, I dont know if this is the right forum to be asking this, but I'm looking to buy a Dell Mini 9 with 16GB SSD and an extra 16GB SD card, but I'm wanting to run just MS Word, MS Excel and Streets and Trips on this machine, I will get an extra get an extra 1GB for the RAM boosting it to 2GB's. I know this is an ATOM Processor, but can it handle these apps? Thanks for any info!

2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Those aren't very demanding programs. I'm not sure how fast it will be but I'm sure it will run those apps just fine. One of my friends already got Google Earth working on an Atom netbook.

3. ARGUS_328

ARGUS_328 Regular member

Awesome! Thanks man! I just ordered it this morning! I picked up the "Dell Mini 10v", as the "Dell Mini 9" is no longer avalible! but no worries, I was wanting the 16GB SSD hard drive with it, and at the time it was only avalible with the Mini 9 not the Mini 10, so I got a little bigger Netbook! so still I'm happy! once I get it I'll post on its performance. Thanks again!

**UPDATE**
    I just got to thinking though, How am I gonna install the programs without a CD/DVD drive? I remember someone telling me you can do it if you have another PC....hmmmm perhaps I'll reseach that while Dell builds my netbook.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  4. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

You can try using something like a USB flash drive. You can get a good 4GB one for like $15 or something. Really cheap. As far as I'm aware that's the commonly accepted method of outfitting a netbook with software.

5. ARGUS_328

ARGUS_328 Regular member

You mean copy all of the CD contents onto the USB drive then install from the USB drive?

6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Possibly you could. I'm not sure if it's as simple as ripping the disk to a folder on the flash drive or what. I think the easiest way would be to "acquire" a downloaded copy through bittorrent as it will already be flash drive friendly.

7. ARGUS_328

ARGUS_328 Regular member

Cool, thanks for the tips....I'll research!

8. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yeah no problem :)

Be sure to let me know how it works out. I'm considering buying something soon and a netbook might be an option :)

9. EnigmaCM

EnigmaCM Member

You can either go the USB route as most peope have. I actually did that and also have an external portable dvd burner that I use from Pioneer. Going with the burner or even cd/dvd reader is more expensive obviously. Another thing you might be interested in is using Portable Apps from portableapps.com. Just download there suite, you will need at least 1 gig USB and you can use OpenOffice software which is an alternative to Microsoft Office and just as good. Give that a shot and see if you like it as well