1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to burn avi with nero,

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Lostspace, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Lostspace

Lostspace Member

From time to time, when trying to burn avi files with nero, the program after a very short encoding period ( i dont think it encode at all in fact) stops and said finished without having burnt anything. Anybody knows why this is ?

2. chriso123

chriso123 Regular member

3. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

1. are you actually trying to get a VCD or SVCD, or just burning the AVI straight to CD?

2. if you are trying to make a VCD, then you will need to re-encode the video to MPEG format first, in which case you will need to use software such as TMPGenc to do so.

The articles on this site are very handy when it comes to reference http://www.afterdawn.com/articles

There are other sites as well that have excellent guides, and if you really want to learn more about this, you should check all of them out: http://www.doom9.org and http://www.vcdhelp.com

Good Luck!

4. Lostspace

Lostspace Member

I am trying to create a VCD (i already did that before without problem, it s only the second time i do have this problem).

I m trying now the solution of chriso and hope it will work out. I ll let you know how it goes. But thank you for your answer.

5. chriso123

chriso123 Regular member

In the guide I posted above skip straight to the TMPGEnc part.

6. Lostspace

Lostspace Member

Chris, i did. Thank you, but now, i do have an mpeg file which is 4 times the size of the avi and do not have any audio. Having followed the steps for TMPGenc, what can have gone wrong ?

7. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

VCD always takes 10MB per 1min, this can't be changed and therefor virtually all movies will take two CDs (74min CD takes 740min of VCD -- it's not like data).

The audio problem is most likely to happen if you have AC3 audio in your AVI. If so, you better grab GraphEdit from the Net, learn how to use it and convert the AC3 audio back to 2 channel WAV and then use that new WAV as your audio source for TMPGEnc.

8. Lostspace

Lostspace Member

ok dRD, on my way to try that. Just for info, in that case, i would have need 4 CD to turn the mpeg (new way to create SitCom perhaps).
    Thanks you all for your help, i hope i ll manage this time

9. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

You've got five hour movie/capture?! Titanic takes 3 CDs, so I assume your clip is kinda whopping :)

10. Lostspace

Lostspace Member

No, in fact, the movie is about 90 minutes long, the avi would have take 2 CD. Something must have gone wrong ... somewhere