1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adobe Encore and forced transcoding

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by juantohu, Dec 8, 2009.

1. juantohu

juantohu Member

Hello mates,

I'm encoding with AviSynth + CCE-SP2, using original fps (23.976 or 25) as output's frame rate, and then flagging up to 29.97 fps with DGPulldown, but then when importing to Adobe Encore CS4 a transcode is forced, there's no Don't Transcode option... is someone familiar with this problem?
    I'm pretty sure my files are 100% DVD compliant: I can author with DVD-lab and everything is fine, the DVD is playable and all.

Take into account this:

1. Frame rate IS the problem. I encoded again, this time using 29.97 as output (source was 23.976), and Encore finally accepted it as DVD compliant! (no forced transcoding) So, apparently Encore doesn't like pulldown flags...

2. I've encoded using original frame rate (23.976) and then applied pulldown flags with DGPulldown, pulldown.exe, CCE's pulldown, DVD-lab's pulldown... and Encore ALWAYS wants to transcode my video.

3. ONLY if I choose 29.97 as output's frame rate in CCE then Encore decides not to transcode. It's like Encore saying "that's right, pulldown flags aren't allowed, only true 29.97 fps".

4. When applying pulldown the output is reported as 29.97 fps (pulldown.exe) or 23.976 fps with 2:3 Pulldown (DGPulldown) and Encore STILL wants to transcode it!

5. I've even used DVDPatcher to change the MPEG's header (both first header only and entire file) and results are the same.

Seriously, what am I doing wrong? I think I'm going mad...
    Right now my only workaround would be to encode directly to 29.97, however, as input and output frame rates would differ, frame insertion or frame skip would occur.. and that's not what I want.

Thanks.

2. juantohu

juantohu Member

Just to let you all know, here's the solution:

GOP length... it was 15 frames, which with pulldown applied it would result in at least 19 frames (NTSC DVDs should be 18 frames max)
    So, frame rate was related to the problem, it just wasn't THE problem.

Anyway, in CCE-SP2's MPEG Video Settings (Advanced settings) I just changed the N/M value from 5 to 4. Now output's GOP length is 12 frames ;)

Honestly, if Adobe Encore is supposedly targeted at professional video producers it should at least throw a warning message saying "GOP length is too high" or similar instead of just removing the "Don't Transcode" option...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009