1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capture video from overlay buffer.

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Lardzor, May 2, 2004.

1. Lardzor

Lardzor Member

I hope this is in the right forum, and not answered elsewhere, I tried to use the search forum for overlay capture messages, but didn't find what I was looking for.

I was hopeing to capture video from my video card overlay buffer. (play a game in windowed mode and record a movie from it)

Is this possible ??
    Will I have to buy a Video out card, then record to VHS, then get a video input card to do this ?

2. gotisos

gotisos Guest

I think this is what you want: http://www.deskshare.com/msr.aspx If that does not work, then you will probably need to get a video card that has Video-in and Video-out. Good luck, feel free to post your progress!!!

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

There are Screen Capture Programs that will record a Part of your Screen to an AVI file but you had better have a very fast PC with a Couple Very fast Hard drives because Captureing By it"s self Takes up a Lot of System Resources so trying to Play a Game and Capture it useing this software will need a Lot Of PC Power...
    If your Video card has a S-Video or RCA Output you can record to a VCR....

Do a search on Google for "Screen capture software" and see what you can find...
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]It"s better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On!!![/small]

Last edited: May 2, 2004
  4. Lardzor

Lardzor Member

gotisos and Minion,
    Thank you for your replies.
    Unfortunately, I can only find software that records a section of the screen from the Windows video buffer, not the video card overlay buffer. To record a game, I would have to disable hardware acceleration for video.
    As minion mentioned, I just don't have a fast enouph computer with my AMD 2500+ and 333 FSB to do the job for anything but games like NetHack. Mabey some genius will realize the value of an overlay buffer capture program or device, or mabey it's just not technically feasible. Thank you again for your responses.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Old wizards never die....
    (but young ones do)[/small]

Last edited: May 2, 2004