1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lightscribe Drive

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Erzengel, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Erzengel

Erzengel Member

I am hoping this is in the right area, both the other areas under PC hardware were directed at DVD drives and such and one even said not about burning. Anyways.

On my computer specs it says my optical drive is

16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe SATA drive

Now I am new to the lightscribing thing. How does that work? Does it require a special cd, or ink or something? I have the lightscribe program and I do studio music and indie in my free time, so I would love to get a professional look and learn how to use this. Thank you.

Also while I am here, what does the 16x, 12x RAM R DL mean?

2. deadone36

deadone36 Member

hi buddy, im not the most teky savvy guy on the planet but i do have a litescribe drive so can help you there a little.

litescribe will work with litescribe blank media. cd or dvd formats
    here are some dvd- so you have an idea
    http://www.svp.co.uk/technology/con...-colours-v12-43674-5-slim-jc_blank-media.html

basically what you do is burn your cd or dvd the normal way using your burning program. nero etc etc.
    then after the burning is done flip the disc over and re-insert and litescribe the cover with whatever cover maker you are using.

all the info you will need can be found here along with some of the tools you will need for it to function correctly.
    http://www.lightscribe.com/

as for what does the 16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe SATA drive mean.

16x dvd is the speed your dvd can burn at its maximum. i myself never burn faster then 4x.
    note: the faster you burn the more likely you are to have burn errors.
    and it also depends on the mdia you purchase, cheap silver discs are not worth the hassle. i stick to Verbatim,sony,tdk,maxell which if you look around youll always find bargains.

You've got the "minus" ("-") formats (DVD-R, DVD-RW) and the "plus" ("+") formats (DVD+R, DVD+RW), then there's the older DVD-RAM format that's harder to find these days. all that means is your drive can support those formats.

DL stands for Dual Layer also called DVD-R9- its basically the same as your standard formats in looks etc but they hold twice as much data. if im not mistaken its around the 8.54 GB mark.

hope all my blabble helps you on you way buddy

Mick :)

3. Erzengel

Erzengel Member

Thanks a ton. My only confusion is, I put the CD back in UPSIDE DOWN to do the lightscribe?

4. deadone36

deadone36 Member

yes m8.
    you dont have to burn the label when you have burned your disc, you can add the label anytime, just remember to put it in the upside down.

5. Erzengel

Erzengel Member

kk thanks again man.