1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matroska audio problem

Discussion in 'Audio' started by frisbee26, Mar 6, 2010.

1. frisbee26

frisbee26 Member

Hi, I'm hoping someone may be able to help me.

I'm having trouble playing HD (720p and 1080p) matroska files. The video playbock is perfectly fine whichever program I use, VLC, windows media player or my preferred program, media player classic.

However, the problem is the audio, it is very muddy and muffled and very quiet. the background sound, objects, gunshots etc are audible, however the dialogue simply isn't. I know the audio track is there as, if I put the volume on full I can hear the dialogue extremely quitely, but everything sounds awful and I can't make anything out.

I've looked through the guide on this site, and others and in various forums and can't find any other instances of this. I also don't know how to work out what audio format is being used in the file, I'm a bit over my head currently which may be obvious.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on and what I can do to try and fix this.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

2. davexnet

davexnet Active member

The way to find out the audio and video details is
    to open the file with Mediainfo - it will tell you everything.
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_software/mp3_tools/mediainfo.cfm

The problem you describe often happens with AC-3 (Dolby digital) files
    because they have such a big dynamic range.

In MPC, you can try view/options
    internal filters (left) transform filters (right)
    Double click the setting corresponding to the type of audio you have
    and enable "dynamic range". Close and re-open the program for it to take effect.

3. frisbee26

frisbee26 Member

Thank you for your help, the problem has now been solved. It was AC-3 files that were causing the problem, I've installed the right filter now and everything works great.

I can't thank you enough, that was driving me crazy.

Thanks again.