1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help in deinterlacing an old VHS converted video (Sample included) ..

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by ahmadka, Jun 27, 2010.

1. ahmadka

ahmadka Regular member

Hey guys .. Well I had these very old VHS videos which I thought I should convert into digital form ...

The problem is that all the videos I converted have interlacing in them, which becomes noticeable even when there are slight movements only ..

I have tried the built-in deinterlace filter in Virtualdub but it did not remove even a tiny bit of the interlacing ..

One solution I found was the reduce the resolution of the video by half, and although it did remove the interlacing, it also blurs the video when I switch to fullscreen ...

Is there any better deinterlacing method available .. ?

I have uploaded a small 1 minute clip of one of my videos which shows some of the interlacing (only noticeable the some object moves or the camera zooms in or something .. )

The video can be downloaded from here: http://www.mediafire.com/?ylmm51xdn1n

Please note that I did do a search on Deinterlacing and did come across from 3rd party virtualdub filters for deinterlacing, but since I'm not very current with video editing jargon, and because the guides/forums posts I found were pretty old (because maybe right now there's some better method maybe), I needed to really search on my own, which is why I created this thread .. Please bear in mind that I'm not exactly well covered in video editing jargon, so please do elaborate a little bit on whatever you suggest .. Thanks! :)

2. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Are you capturing directly to xvid? It's not a good choice.
    The bitrate you're using is far too low as evidenced by all the blocks
    that can be seen. You should never resize an interlaced file.

Try installing HuffyUV and capture with that. The Virtualdub default deinterlace
    Yadif works very well, but your source is too poor to really see the difference.

Make sure you're using a recent release of Virtualdub (v.1.99)