1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lets talk macrovision.

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by mhow, Jun 27, 2010.

1. mhow

mhow Member

As a preamble, I'll just say that I bought a video capture unit off Ebay to convert my video cassettes to dvd's which turned out to be a real pain ( coasters galore ). I then went the route mentioned by 'Attar' whereby I go "scart from vhs and straight into stand alone recorder" and to hell with the editing!! Very nice results. O.k. so my gripe is Macrovision. No problems with my own recorded material but I have paid out good money for my cassettes and the idea of throwing them out and buying yet again the same in dvd format, does not sit well at all. A 'copy once'would have been much more customer friendly and that is all I really want. I want to replace my vhs with dvd's so I can sling out the cassettes to make more room. I imagine that this is what the majority of peeps want. I have no interest in copying my dvd's. I look after them well but if by some misfortune one should get damaged (and it's one I really want to keep) then I will buy another.

If it's a video stabliser I need, then after I'd finished with it, I'd have no further need for it. I'd probably want to sell it on at a friendly price.;-)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  2. davexnet

davexnet Active member

3. mhow

mhow Member

Thank you Davexnet for your response

"A couple of hours use"? Did it do everything you wanted like colour correction etc, etc and were you happy with the results? I need to look for something in the UK preferably.

4. davexnet

davexnet Active member

There's is one thing it didn't do and I even emailed the company about it.
    I noticed the issue when trying to copy/restore a black and white show.
    It didn't offer a way to turn off the color burst signal which meant I couldn't properly
    remove the randon chroma noise evident in the B&W picture.

The guy at Sima even pointed me to one of their similar products that did the job.
    That was the only concern I had, otherwise it worked as advertised.

5. mhow

mhow Member

I had a look at your link. It's an interesting piece of kit although it was unavailable and on the pricey side. What I need to do does'nt warrent that sort of money. I have seen other stuff at moderate prices but then you have to go by the manufacturer's claims and thats never as good as someone who has tried and tested it out.

Never mind, 'Nil Desperandum' as they say.

Thanks for your help.