1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.dat file converting, a way that works?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by systemcat, Aug 4, 2010.

1. systemcat

systemcat Member

Found a couple .dat video files on the computer while cleaning it to free up space. They were recorded on to my hard drive without my knowledge, but hey now that I know they're there, it would be nice to keep them yuh know? These came from Veoh if that helps the discussion.

Any way Any Video Converter will except them when the program has been told to take any file, not just media ones. And they will convert, yes, but the sound and video don't sync afterwards. They would be synced before however in .dat form.

So my question here is as freeware, what will convert these .dat files successfully in keeping the sound and video in sync after being turned into some thing like an .mpeg or .avi?

And please no one snap at me and say Google.

2. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Have you tried just renaming the file to *.mpg ?
    This used to work - otherwise you can remux it with the free version of Tmpgenc 2.5

It doesn't need to be re-encoded.

3. systemcat

systemcat Member

.mpg in any of it's forms through Any Video Converter makes for a jumpy picture. I once also tried turning the file into an .mp4 and that only made the difference between the sound & video worse.

Tmpgenc 2.5 doesn't recognize the format even when forced to see it through browsing. It just states an error message like most know editors like say Virtual Dub which has also been tried.

Windows Media sees it when forced, but I went through a whole event last week for just trying to get another program to record sound that program was producing. Nothing was freeware that I found for the task.

4. davexnet

davexnet Active member

did you try renaming the file to *.mpg?
    Did you use Tmpgenc 2.5 file/tools/ demux (to create the separate audio and video)
    and them mux to create a new mpg from them?

5. systemcat

systemcat Member

Renaming the file doesn't do any thing but change it from looking like an unknown file type, to showing it's show of being a media file.

I've tried separating audio and video before to then recombine them. When taken into a program like Corel Video Studio to fix them back together into a single file. It shows on the media's video and sound time lines they don't match up. One is always longer than the other. That's why I'm sure common programs whine at it although it is strange that the file when unaltered, plays both in sync.

6. davehx

davehx Member

I always find TMPGEnc works better when you use separate files for the audio and video.

Try using GoldWave to rip the audio from the file as a .wav file.
    For the video use your converted file that had the sound out of sync.

When they are combined using TMPGEnc, you may get what you are elooking for

7. systemcat

systemcat Member

I can't find the program I used before to separate the file into it's audio and video files. But I did get Avidemux2 ...It looks promising since it will take .dat files but saving is the issue with this program. You can set how you want the video re-encoded and how you want the audio re-encoded, but it will save it in the same format you gave it (.dat). Which doesn't make sense?! There should be a help file explaining how to truly save the files as .avi files which is the said default. And no, naming upon saving, meaning noting the extension as being .avi by typing won't work.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010