1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will a new widescreen HDTV TV have a good picture on standard digital cable without a cable box?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jayhawk1042, Sep 10, 2010.

1. jayhawk1042

jayhawk1042 Member

I am using a standard cable ready TV right now, with the cable TV companies coax cable connected straight to the back of it.
    I would like to get a new widescreen. Will the picture on a new widescreen look as good as my current setup? Keep in mind I am not using a cable companies cable box. I only have basic cable with the coax connected straight to the back of my TV.
    I know what needs to be done to view HDTV. But for now I’m concerned about what all the basic channels will look like and whether or not I’m better to just stick with the old TV until I am ready to upgrade my cable TV package.

2. flashcom

flashcom Member

Hi There,
    I've had my Plasma HDTV hooked up straight to the cable before (no cable box) and the picture was fine. No difference than the old TV really, maybe a bit better if anything.
    There are a lot of good deals on HDTV service right now where I live. AT&T has a great triple play deal for $89 bucks for HDTV, Phone, and Internet. Comcast is a bit more but not much. You might want to check around. Good Luck