1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to play TV through surround sound HELP Please!!!

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by hochschildjp, Sep 11, 2010.

1. hochschildjp

hochschildjp Member

Hi I currently have DirectTV SAT with HD DVR, JVC HD-61FN97 HDTV and a JVC THD50 home theatre system.
    I am running the SAT HDMI from box to TV. I have the HT system connected from receiver to TV using HDMI cable as well. How do I set this up so that I can play TV through the HT receiver?
    Thank you in advance for any assistance with this.

-James

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum as not a usenet newsgroups issue.

3. JVC

JVC Active member

According to the JVC site, there is no HDMI input, but there is an optical audio input.
    If your SAT box has an optical output, you'll need to run an optical cable from the SAT box to the JVC receiver for the audio. The HDMI from SAT to TV is ok, for the video, unless you start to have problems. Then I'd change to component cables (color coded red, blue, & green) for the video. Since the SAT doesn't broadcast in 1080p, it's no big deal if you don't use HDMI. In the SAT box's setup menus, set the audio output to "Dolby Digital" or "Digital", depending on their wording. You may or may not have to let it know to use HDMI just for the video. With the JVC's only digital input being optical, you shouldn't need to assign the input.

If the SAT box doesn't have an optical output, you'll just have to use the red & white analog audio cables for the audio. Run them from SAT box to JVC receiver. You'll only be able to get Dolby Pro Logic II at best (simulated surround), but you won't have a choice, since the JVC doesn't have a digital coax input either.

You're finding out why I hate most HTIBs (home theater in a box). They don't have the inputs that most people need. Especially ones with a built-in dvd player. This is also why they are cheap. There are some very good HTIBs out there though. Onkyo has some of the best. Reason being, they have real receivers with plenty of digital inputs included with theirs. They decode the HD audio formats from blu ray movies, and have Audyssey auto calibration and room correction, for the speakers. This is the minimum system I'd get, since it includes a powered subwoofer, which is easy to upgrade as funds allow: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S530..._1_cc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1284339929&sr=1-1-catcorr (it doesn't include dvd player). It also doesn't use the proprietary speaker connectors that a lot of HTIBs use. The systems that use those, can't be upgraded. You just have to buy a whole new system, instead of just upgrading the speakers and sub.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  4. hochschildjp

hochschildjp Member

Thank you so much...It worked with the audio/red, white cables instantly. Connecting from the SAT to receiver was the only combination that I seem to have overlooked. Thank you again for your assistance.

5. JVC

JVC Active member

Glad we got it figured out.............