AfterDawn: Tech news

GHSA endorses total cell phone ban during driving

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 26 Sep 2010 10:37 User comments (38)

GHSA endorses total cell phone ban during driving The Goverrnors Highway Safety Association has endorsed a total ban on mobile phone usage while driving, making their decision after carefully analyzing the results of a study by the American Journal of Public Health.
AJPH's findings saw a 28 percent rise in "distracted driving fatalities" from 2005 to 2008.

Furthermore, the report showed 16,000 vehicle-related fatalities from 2001 until 2007 were caused by drivers texting at the wheel.

"It doesn't take a Ph.D. to know that cell phone use and driving is dangerous and that lives have been lost due to this practice," says Jonathan Adkins, a spokesman for the Association.

A few states, such as California, have already banned cell phone use whilst driving, voice and texting.

The Association is a group of state highway safety officials from across the US. The group has helped shape many past transportation safety policies in the past.

Previous Next  

38 user comments

126.9.2010 23:34

Most of these people would have managed to kill themselves and others in some alternate way had the not been texting. Why should the rest of us suffer because of those who clearly can't multitask and still try anyway? Sorry but fsck you, if I wanted to live in a police-state I've move to China or Australia.

227.9.2010 00:04

Originally posted by hikaricor:
Most of these people would have managed to kill themselves and others in some alternate way had the not been texting. Why should the rest of us suffer because of those who clearly can't multitask and still try anyway? Sorry but fsck you, if I wanted to live in a police-state I've move to China or Australia.
I can understand the texting and like you said some people really can't multitask, but removing the use of the phone entirely while driving?

327.9.2010 00:06

The problem is not the texting idiots, but those they run into.

427.9.2010 00:43

Good ban em all, nothing i hate worse than driving behind a moron that's texting.

besides its not called a cell text, its called a cell PHONE as in ring ring, hi howya doin. its a lot easier to you should try it.

527.9.2010 01:02

I think as long as I drive responsibly and don't get myself and other people killed, it's no one's business what I do while I'm driving. It's not just texting they want to ban cell phone usage in cars completely which is god damn ridiculous.

627.9.2010 02:00

I think as long as I drive responsibly and don't get myself and other people killed, it's no one's business what I do while I'm driving.

So a person should only be banned from using a cellphone while driving after he demonstrates irresponsibility in doing so? Sometimes it's a little too late to react at that point...

727.9.2010 04:39

This is not a ban on texting, it is a ban on phones, and it does not even seem to have an exception for hands-free use.

Mythbusters had an episode where they compared talking on the phone (without a hands-free device) with drunk driving...the drunk drivers did better...and that was without texting.

"I am careful when driving and talking into the handset or texting"..."I am careful when driving drunk"...is there any real difference between those two statements? Yes...driving while talking on the handset is more dangerous than driving drunk, and texting is even more dangerous than that.

Personally, I have taken several advanced driving courses, I drive a mid-engine car with racing suspension and breaks, and it is actually safer for me to drive at 90MPH than it is for a large van to drive at 60MPH...but that does not mean that I get an exception, and I still have to drive slow to avoid tickets. This is how driving works...everything is set to the worst driver in the worst vehicle under the worst conditions.

827.9.2010 07:12

I think as long as I drive responsibly and don't get myself and other people killed, it's no one's business what I do while I'm driving.
That's why the decision is not left to you. You're not the best judge of whether you driving responsibly or not, after all something like 85% of people think there an above average driver.

I have the same argument with people in the UK about speeding when they say "I'm perfectly safe driving at 90 mph instead of 70mph". I assume that if they make that statement that they have done research on accident rates at the different speeds to show there is no difference or perhaps they have tested their response times to ensure they are better than average. Unsurprisingly I am usually disappointed.

927.9.2010 09:25

Basically for all those still wanting to text/phone and drive; suck it up. People's arrogance has made this a reality whether you are good at it or not, it's now irrelevant and you can claim police state, but then someone hits you before these laws put into place, then you raid on police when there's no charge. Now they can charge people and you whine, well suck it up. No one is saying you can't use the phone to text/talk while driving, they just stating if you get caught, then you pay with time or a fine. If you are so good as you claim, then don't get caught, but don't disrespect others either for those that take the time to drive as safe as possible, without influences.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 27 Sep 2010 @ 9:26

1027.9.2010 12:29

Naturally everyone likes to imagine that it's just 'the others' and that 'they' are perfectly capable of multi-tasking safely.

Well b.s.

You have no 'right' or 'freedom' to kill and maim people because you refuse to pull over & take or make a call or text.

All of one's concentration should be given to driving.
It's far too potentially dangerous an activity to not do so -
and many of our road problems originate from idiots who refuse to accept that fact.....especially idiot young men

(if you really must be a moron on the road go ride a motorbike, at least that way you're most likely to only kill or maim yourself)

The sad truth in this is all those sneering at these kind of rules and at those famous 'others' who have caused a bad crash doing this sort of thing would rapidly change their minds the instant it happened to them or one of their family or friends.

The biggest joke of all is that pretending this law is some sort of totalitarian measure (communist China, ffs).
That's just ludicrous.

Here in the UK, since Dec 2003, we have managed perfectly well since using a mobile phone (Americans say cell phone) was banned, accidents have fallen and there are people walking around today who are alive & healthy who otherwise probably would not have been.

There is an identifiable additional serious risk and if you cause a serious accident you can lose your licence to drive and be jailed.

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/info/mobile_phone_report.pdf

When (heaven forbid) it happens to one of your kids be sure to let us know how that silly reflex anti-authority feeling is running, eh?

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 27 Sep 2010 @ 12:33

1127.9.2010 13:26

Oh to never be stuck behind some moron yacking on their cell phone again...Dare to dream!

And yeah I think the comparison to drunk driving is spot on! Also hands free still allows them to drift off in conversation so should not be allowed either. Maybe some can handle it but the vast majority can't (no matter what they think!).

Drive or don't...

1227.9.2010 13:55

This law won't stop anyone. We have a law in NJ banning cell phones to the ear (they allow headsets), but i still see many drivers still talking on their cell phones.

Unless they make real stiff fines, no one is going to listen anyway and we will still have many fatalities.

1327.9.2010 15:45

Cell phone use while driving in California must be hands-free, not banned totally. ---Chikn

1427.9.2010 16:47

Quote:
Drive or don't...
could be the ad campaign slogan for this :D

1527.9.2010 18:46

Originally posted by dEwMe:
Also hands free still allows them to drift off in conversation so should not be allowed either. Maybe some can handle it but the vast majority can't (no matter what they think!).

Drive or don't...

Based on your opinion, people driving cars shouldn't be able to talk to passengers in their vehicles either. The could drift off in conversation and suddenly cause random things to explode! We need to move to ban speaking of any sort while in a motor vehicle.

*eye roll*

1627.9.2010 19:34

I understand why people are pissed off at this(so am I sense I have a cell then again who doesn't) this said they endorse this and not exactly into Law yet. But if This IS accepted into law these aholes will endanger lives even farther. People who are in accidents wouldn't be allowed to call 911 when in an accident, they themselves can't call their bosses if they are late to work and the list goes on.

If this is put into law for the whole US I doubt it will pass I doubt not even Obama or G.W. Bush would allow this law especially if their would be exceptions people would be upset and would prob go insane.

1727.9.2010 20:24

here in ontario, canada, we have that ban on using cell phone while driving but is perfectly legal to use that cell phone in the car when you have pulled off to the side of the road. the enforcement of that ban started this past february.

Tristan, i don't have a cell phone nor do i want 1.

1827.9.2010 20:28

We need to move to ban speaking of any sort while in a motor vehicle.

*eye roll* Originally posted by hikaricor

Lord, I wish!!!

God knows how many times I've told my wife to shut her trap, I'm drivin'! Never works. :(

1927.9.2010 22:59

Australia already does it, why is it so hard to pull over to ring/text somone? I think that you should be able to use a hands free device while driving, but texting is mostly a bad idea. the other day i saw a lady smoking and texting while driving with her kids in the back of her manual car, she would reshufle everything to change gear. i can understand how some people can do it, and this isnt targeted at you. id be more woried about the idiots who cant talk and drive and crash into you.

2028.9.2010 11:31

Originally posted by Run4two:
God knows how many times I've told my wife to shut her trap, I'm drivin'! Never works. :(
Bahaha! You and me both, sir, you and me both.

2128.9.2010 12:26

Based on your opinion, people driving cars shouldn't be able to talk to passengers in their vehicles either. The could drift off in conversation and suddenly cause random things to explode! We need to move to ban speaking of any sort while in a motor vehicle.

*eye roll*
K maybe the hands free ban would be a bit extreme but I have seen a few morons over the years so in depth in conversation with passengers they were all over the road. So lol...

Anyway the morons in a trance talking on their cells cause me way more grief than someone not wearing their seatbelt, yet by law I am forced to wear mine or get a ticket. I think banning non-hands free cell phone use while operating any motor vehicle would be a great idea.

2228.9.2010 17:51

Quote:
if This IS accepted into law these aholes will endanger lives even farther. People who are in accidents wouldn't be allowed to call 911 when in an accident, they themselves can't call their bosses if they are late to work and the list goes on.

Where did you get that nonsense from?

Being in an accident is not 'driving'.
Obviously the purpose of this is to make driving safer and to get people to stop routinely using their phones whilst driving.

It has nothing to do with stopping people reporting an emergency (that accident you mentioned) or letting their boss know they've been in one and so will be late.

The point in the UK is that if you have to make a call or take a call, pull over & stop driving.

Don't be so silly.

2329.9.2010 02:17

I see idiots on the road everytime i drive.some of them are using a mobile phone,some look trashed and some look young and inexperienced,some just arn't paying attention.personally dont care if someones using a cellphone and driving aslong as they are paying attention to the road and not doing stupid things.

@scarface43 i thought it was illegal to smoke in a car with children under 16 in it???I'm in australia and i thought they changed the laws regarding that a few years ago.

2429.9.2010 12:58

xboxdvl2, we have that smoking ban here in ontario for the past year or so.

2529.9.2010 17:08

edited by ddp, like hell anyone is ever going to tell me I can't smoke in my car.
I don't care who's riding along, they can just deal with it. :p

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 Sep 2010 @ 5:12

2629.9.2010 17:12

don't come to ontario, canada with kids as you will be fined.

2730.9.2010 00:47

No chance of that happening anyway, my mdma contacts in canada dried up years ago.
What other reason is there to goto canada if not for the drugs? ^_^

2830.9.2010 00:59
OhRly
Unverified new user

Originally posted by KillerBug:

Personally, I have taken several advanced driving courses, I drive a mid-engine car with racing suspension and breaks, and it is actually safer for me to drive at 90MPH than it is for a large van to drive at 60MPH..
You had me in awe of what an impressive driver you are, with your mid-engine car, racing suspension and ... umm.... err... breaks??? Less bragging/ego stroking/bullsh!tting and more proofing, please.

Now, if you would kindly bring your rusty, wheelie-bar sporting, sh*tbox Corvair down below the legal limit ...

2930.9.2010 09:52

was watching tv earlier and apparently its a $218 fine and loss of 3 demerits points for talking or texting on a cell phone in australia while driving.personally i think sitting 30kmph over the speed limit & risking losing 2 demerit points and getting the same fine would be more effective than texting your boss while driving to let him know you are gonna be late at least you'd have more of a chance to get their on time.

301.10.2010 06:08

Originally posted by OhRly:
Originally posted by KillerBug:

Personally, I have taken several advanced driving courses, I drive a mid-engine car with racing suspension and breaks, and it is actually safer for me to drive at 90MPH than it is for a large van to drive at 60MPH..
You had me in awe of what an impressive driver you are, with your mid-engine car, racing suspension and ... umm.... err... breaks??? Less bragging/ego stroking/bullsh!tting and more proofing, please.

Now, if you would kindly bring your rusty, wheelie-bar sporting, sh*tbox Corvair down below the legal limit ...
It is not a fast car; but it has great breaks and great handling...the two things you need to avoid an accident. I love my car, but it is no supercar...it is however, a very safe car. And as you may or may not have read, I don't speed (much). I was just making a point that the rules are not written on a per-person basis; otherwise a large van with old breaks and worn out suspension wouldn't even be allowed on the same roads as me.

311.10.2010 20:09

We don't need another friggen law!
It is ALREADY illegal to drive negligently. If I kill someone and it was because I was being negligent (as in, texting or talking or eating or getting a BJ) then I'm guilty of manslaughter!
It's already against the law. Why do we need another law?

If you think this law is good then hell, why don't we ban eating or drinking or smoking? All of which will contribute to many accidents every year.
Why don't we require 5 point seatbelts and helmets for all passengers in cars? Can you argue that that wouldn't save lives?

Look, there's always something else that will make it safer. It will NEVER be completely safe.
I just wish they'd get out of my life and let me decide for myself what I am and am not capable of.
Amazingly, I've been driving for a long time and I've made many phone calls, texted many people, eaten many hamburgers/tacos/burritos and for some reason I've never ran off the road or nailed the guy who stopped short in front of me.

It's called being responsible. I don't need the government to "make me" responsible.

322.10.2010 07:58

actually a while ago they were thinking of making a law that your not allowed to smoke in cars.I dont smoke it my car and i dont let others smoke in my car.im a smoker but i just dont want the inside of my car to smell like cigarette smoke.Dont mind if people eat or drink in my car but if they make a mess they can clean it up or pay someone to clean it up.

@killerbug if someone does something stupid in front of you or next to you theres still a chance of crashing no matter how good your driving or your car.

As for old vans/dodgy cars in england they have a road safety inspection for car once every year i think.In australia if your car is obviously not road worthy the police can pull you over and issue you with a defect.Major or minor depending on the extent of your car and how roadworthy it is.

332.10.2010 08:41

fine.. splendid.. we have that law here already.. it's one thing to endorse it.. quite another to have a law and not enforce it.. I can stand at the crossing in town and count cars.. every other one has no seat belt on.. and every 4th will have no belt and be holding a phone..

honestly what's the point?

342.10.2010 09:01

Originally posted by ps355528:
fine.. splendid.. we have that law here already.. it's one thing to endorse it.. quite another to have a law and not enforce it.. I can stand at the crossing in town and count cars.. every other one has no seat belt on.. and every 4th will have no belt and be holding a phone..

honestly what's the point?
not enough officers cant afford them, that's why we have cameras everywhere except up are arse, and im sure thats next. at least till they get there new batch of chinese made robocop's

352.10.2010 09:06

ahhh.. you assume much about cameras Padawan

they aren't there to catch people doing illegal things.. they are to monitor the general population who might be joining unions or earning a couple of quid on the side.. they have nothing to do with security or law enforcement.

364.10.2010 12:37

Originally posted by gnovak1:
This law won't stop anyone. We have a law in NJ banning cell phones to the ear (they allow headsets), but i still see many drivers still talking on their cell phones.

Unless they make real stiff fines, no one is going to listen anyway and we will still have many fatalities.

I found it funny that my friend got a ticket for "talking on a cell phone" when he was sitting in traffic resting his head on his hand. He didn't find that expensive ticket so funny when his cell phone was in his pocket the whole time.

375.10.2010 00:21

Originally posted by ee2skater:

I found it funny that my friend got a ticket for "talking on a cell phone" when he was sitting in traffic resting his head on his hand. He didn't find that expensive ticket so funny when his cell phone was in his pocket the whole time.
one of the stupidest things i saw was a cop pulled someone over and fined them for talking on a mobile when they were eating a snickers bar.they weren't even on the phone.

385.10.2010 13:21

Originally posted by xboxdvl2:
Originally posted by ee2skater:

one of the stupidest things i saw was a cop pulled someone over and fined them for talking on a mobile when they were eating a snickers bar.they weren't even on the phone.
That's ridiculous. I guess cops like giving out that fine cause it's a lot of money for them. The irony from my story was we were driving to get our windows tinted so if his windows were tinted beforehand the cop wouldn't be able to see inside clear enough, and it's only a $40 ticket for having your front windows tinted in NJ.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
2 user comments
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive