1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Authoring Virtually

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by gopostal13, Oct 21, 2010.

1. gopostal13

gopostal13 Member

Is there any program that can take a DVD and convert it to a computer file so it looks and plays like a dvd without actually having the hard disc. I mean still has the menus and special features like a normal DVD, but is now able to be kept on a hard drive as a DVD would be kept in a disc case? I am currently using AnyDVD and CloneDVD mobile to rip and then do a VOB passthrough, but I lose subtitles when needed and all the special features I sometimes want. Thanks.

2. attar

attar Senior member

If the DVD has been ripped properly to the HDD, all the files present on the disk, the menus, trailers, language and subtitle selections should be present in the VIDEO_TS folder and they should all be selectable using a media player like VLC.

Your ripping program (DVDFab HD Decrypter is one choice) should offer to rip the entire disk.
    Ripped files should be run through FixVTS for cleanup.
    DVD Shrink can be used to either make the files smaller or select subtitles and audio streams.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVDFab_Decrypter

3. gopostal13

gopostal13 Member

My program for ripping does rip the entire disc. However, my problem is that I watch my movies via a media player with my hard drive plugged in. All this is plugged into my TV and works quite well. But I would like to have the same experience as I would with a DVD.

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Once movie is ripped & if you choose to compress all that's needed then is to place it in a container like an ISO or MKV both of which keep menu's etc,i spose imgburn could place the files in an ISO while MKVtoolnix to place in mkv container,that's pretty much it,ISO would most probably be the best option as there are plenty of programs to burn an iso to dvd if need be,once files have been compressed with say dvdfab or no compression it doesn't take long to convert them to iso or mkv

EDIT:Check clonedvd at the end where you choose resulting output file there is an option for ISO

eDIT 2: mm ok perhaps clone mobile might not clonedvd does if you have it

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  5. gopostal13

gopostal13 Member

I have all the Slysoft programs and the ISO option, but when I bring it up to play in VLC or on my TV it goes directly to the Merged full movie. I just did this with one of my movies and it just plays as if there is nothing with it. I am hoping to get a DVD experience without the DVD if I am relaying this correctly. I am currently trying a .mkv format to see, so I will keep this updated.