AfterDawn: Tech news

LimeWire is officially dead and buried

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 27 Oct 2010 3:45 User comments (41)

LimeWire is officially dead and buried

LimeWire, once the world's most popular P2P client, is now officially shut down, following a four-year legal battle against the record industry.
A New York federal court has issued a permanent injunction against the site this week, ruling that LimeWire caused a "massive scale of infringement" by intentionally giving users a platform to share millions of unauthorized music tracks.

At its peak, LimeWire was seeing 50 million monthly users.

Visitors to the site are greeted by the pictured "legal notice."

While the company can no longer make unauthorized music readily available, the site says it is now "working with the music industry to move forward."

The court also added that LimeWire should use all available resources to remove all copyrighted materials currently available to downloaders of the client.

Previous Next  

41 user comments

127.10.2010 16:13

Damn...The end of an era...I remember back in high school I used to download tons of songs daily using LimeWire, and now it's gone...*sobs*

EDIT: Forgot to add that I moved to torrents 4 years ago and I never ever used P2P software (limewire, frostwire, etcetcetc) agai. But I kinda miss the good ol' days of downloading music in Limewire.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 27 Oct 2010 @ 6:55

227.10.2010 16:13

The record companies are DOOMED!!! Face it, we will never again pay for music. Each year since 1999 the number of P2P apps for sharing music has grown exponientially. RECORD COMPANIES!!! WE ARE DANCING ON YOUR GRAVES!!! Mark Montgomery edited by ddp

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 27 Oct 2010 @ 6:11

327.10.2010 16:24

And nothing of value was lost.

427.10.2010 16:25

And nothing of value was lost.

527.10.2010 16:31

And yet nothing of value was gained from the service.

627.10.2010 16:43

Rest in peace Viruswire

727.10.2010 17:46

Don't care, I upgraded to torrents two years ago and never looked back.

827.10.2010 17:49

It was inevitable...

927.10.2010 17:50

Die and burn in hell you shitty piece of software.

1027.10.2010 18:20

millions of idiots around the world are crying because they can't get the newest top 40 song off lime wire for free anymore! They won't move to torrents they will move to itunes because torrents are too complicated for a lot of computer illiterate people

1127.10.2010 20:21

LOL torrents. sigh. now an upgrade would have been RS/MU/FS, but a real upgrade would have been newsgroups, and even better, actually buying stuff, but god damn us if we do that(!)

1227.10.2010 20:30

lol Ill admit I am a noob at newsgroups, I have followed so many tutorials and still can not figure it out

1327.10.2010 20:31

No big deal. Haven't used it for years anyway. It was just a virus/trojan p2p site anyway. There's always utorrent, TPB, Frostwire, and if you understand Chinese check out Baidu, plus a plethora of others.

1427.10.2010 20:32

I'm in the same boat as stuntman, oh well. Thank god for torrents.

1527.10.2010 20:36

Originally posted by stuntman_:
lol Ill admit I am a noob at newsgroups, I have followed so many tutorials and still can not figure it out
oh i agree its a b!tch setting up, but once is actually, a very much better experience.

1627.10.2010 22:30

Quote:
oh i agree its a b!tch setting up, but once is actually, a very much better experience.
If you know how to use torrents then you know how to use newsgroups. I use to use limewire for hard to find songs but that was on rare cases.

As you all know, when on falls another service rises.

1727.10.2010 22:57

Where is the grave? I feel like dancing!

1827.10.2010 23:22

Originally posted by KillerBug:
Where is the grave? I feel like dancing!
HAHAHAHA I shall follow!!!

1928.10.2010 04:03

Some unwritten rules are being broken here... be QUIET!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Oct 2010 @ 4:03

2028.10.2010 04:23

Rest in peace Limewire.

I will remember you with fond memories. Viruses, 5kbps download speeds, constantly downloading that one damn clip "I did not have sexual relations with that woman, but i did go to mp3.com blah blah blah" lol. You guys know what I'm talking about.

I fear now that even more attention will befall our beloved torrents. :(

2128.10.2010 08:50

err yeah I don't know what these "newsgroups" are and haven't known since 1991 but I sure wouldn't want the unwashed masses to draw more attention and heat to them...Yeah newsgroups....nothing to see here move along...

2228.10.2010 09:37

It's about time. That's all I have to say.

2328.10.2010 10:03

Limewire actually made the news? Guess DVDback didn't have that much to do..... Oh well for those that used that buggy piece of crap; trust me you are better off with it gone... Good riddance to bad rubbish.

2428.10.2010 10:21

Whar's amusing is that, in fact, the program itself still works just fine; pirated copies of Limewire Pro are easy to come by, and many order programs (e.g. Shareaza, Frostwire, et al.) use one or more of the same networks. Too bad Gnutella is such a lousy network...

If you are trying to find rarities or single songs/books, eMule is the way to go. For large and/or very recent content, use Bittorrent and/or Usenet.

Oh, and Bittorrent IS a o2p program.

2528.10.2010 11:01

Originally posted by Bozobub:
If you are trying to find rarities or single songs/books, eMule is the way to go. For large and/or very recent content, use Bittorrent and/or Usenet.
Yes, I use it for exactly this. When you want a single track, limewire was the way forward.

RIP Limewire, you will always be in my heart!

2628.10.2010 11:03

Torrents is the answer.

2728.10.2010 11:57
ps3lvanub
Inactive

Originally posted by kikzm33z:
Torrents is the answer.
You are wrong. Pie is the answer. It is also the answer to everything in the universe.

2828.10.2010 13:53

Originally posted by dEwMe:
err yeah I don't know what these "newsgroups" are and haven't known since 1991 but I sure wouldn't want the unwashed masses to draw more attention and heat to them...Yeah newsgroups....nothing to see here move along...

To late. Some Newsgroups providers are already under fire.

Torrents were always a pain in the ass and slow. For a leacher like me Usenet was always the way to go.

2928.10.2010 18:54

Quote:
To late. Some Newsgroups providers are already under fire.

Any articles? I've not heard of USENET being critised at all. Will search. I'm not sure how you would go about dealing with the USENET issue. One provider is just a mirror of the next...

3028.10.2010 20:14

At least Metallica´s happy.

3128.10.2010 21:25

Pastor,

Usenet.com loses case to RIAA

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Oct 2010 @ 9:25

3229.10.2010 06:57

Originally posted by ps3lvanub:
Originally posted by kikzm33z:
Torrents is the answer.
You are wrong. Pie is the answer. It is also the answer to everything in the universe.
You are both wrong...42 is the answer. The hard part is figuring out the question.

3330.10.2010 01:29

Am I old if I remember when limewire was small-time? How about if I used Napster when it was free and revolutionizing the Net. Scour Exchange (one of the first p2p to offer more than music)? MIRC? How about the fact that I remember downloading MP3's from links on websites. No program needed. Just search a website and click a link. Free music. I must be old cos I paid $300 for a 2x2x6 CD-RW Drive.

3430.10.2010 11:12

klassic, I remember the same things and I'm not 'old'. It's funny you used to be able to download mp3s directly from sites. I've never much liked the "home rips" though. You never know what kind of a setup they are using and quality settings they are choosing. You get strange meta-tag information thrown in a lot of times too. I prefer to either rip the songs myself or download quality stuff from pay sites, but that's just me.

351.11.2010 01:08

it shouldnt matter where the stuff is coming what matters is the quality.Been through napster,kazaa,bear share,mirc,limewire and probably a few others.what we need is a P2P network that is 100% virus/spyware/malware free.As for limewire was good years ago but got ruined.R.I.P limewire

361.11.2010 02:11

Originally posted by cart0181:
klassic, I remember the same things and I'm not 'old'. It's funny you used to be able to download mp3s directly from sites. I've never much liked the "home rips" though. You never know what kind of a setup they are using and quality settings they are choosing. You get strange meta-tag information thrown in a lot of times too. I prefer to either rip the songs myself or download quality stuff from pay sites, but that's just me.
Back in the day you could store too many 320kbps mp3 files. My computer at the time came with a 4GB hard drive, and I added a second 13.6GB hard drive. Back then I tried to get 192 as much as possible but would settle for the 128's.

371.11.2010 20:55

Originally posted by klassic:
Originally posted by cart0181:
Back in the day you could store too many 320kbps mp3 files. My computer at the time came with a 4GB hard drive, and I added a second 13.6GB hard drive. Back then I tried to get 192 as much as possible but would settle for the 128's.
I bet that 13.6GB HDD cost as much as a 1TB does now...lol

384.11.2010 18:17

Only one program I use for music... I've heavily into obscure European/Norwegian styled black metal and doom metal... That program, I'll give a hint... "Within your SOUL you should SEEK..."

THIS place even has a lot of rare and out of print 80's metal... ANYTHING music related I want I can find it... Not a problem...

395.11.2010 01:04

Originally posted by DVDBack23:

I bet that 13.6GB HDD cost as much as a 1TB does now...lol
I am pretty sure it did. And when I bought that hard drive the sales person said I would never fill that 13.6GB hard drive.

406.11.2010 00:55

I remember getting music off of lime wire and sometimes it was a bad rip and sometimes it was quality.

I haven't used it since year 2 that it was out...long while back. Bearshare was the thing then it died, kazaa was always trash to me...many others were garbage as well. I mean, they were all good like the first 18 months that they were introduced then died off quickly because of virus, spam, mislabeled content.

415.5.2012 21:16

If I want any songs I just get them from youtube or if I need a whole album I get them from WinMX.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive