1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

450 minutes of vcd video (ie 4 seperate, full length avi movies) to ONE DVDr ??

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by qjsbgn, Jan 16, 2011.

1. qjsbgn

qjsbgn Member

hello my name is Tom I'm new here and I've looked everywhere and can't find a guide for how to do this, basically I want to be able to put any 4 full length avi movies on one DVDr as VCD video format to save space, which I read you can fit almost 450 minutes on one DVDr (and still be played by most standard dvd players). but I can't find any guides that make this conversion, seems like I have to turn my AVIs into VCDs first, then re-convert them again to dvd-vcd (apparently the only difference being the bit rate of the audio) does anyone know of a program or a way which I can directly convert my AVIs to dvd-vcd format which I can keep adding multiple files to the burning software until I've reached the 450 minute cutoff????

I have the program Avi2dvd and I think its pretty impressive (although 2 of the 5 movies I converted with it so far turned out to be too big for the disc even though they're not THAT long and I selected the DVD-5 option for all of them...Imgburn still burned them and they still play but the movies cut off abruptly close to the end) <- that would be my second question, what the hell. if you check the "size = dvd 5" option in avi2dvd...shouldn't the resulting dvd fit on your 4.7g dvdr, why would it come out too big to burn?? like it was only designed for movies under a certain length like 90 minutes or something

but the point is avi2dvd apparently only converts the AVIs into ACTUAL dvd format, and ONLY ONE AVI CAN BE PUT ON ONE DISC, at a time, and thats not what I want I would prefer vcd-video so I can fit more of them on one disc. anyone have any easy ways to do this I don't want to convert to vcd, and then re-convert again to dvd-vcd even if only the audio has to be changed or whatever, that seems too long and tedious to be worth yet is it the only way?

and 2) how do you make sure the dvd you create in avi2dvd won't be too big to burn?

thank you in advance

2. attar

attar Senior member

There's little interest in VCD outside Asia and packing them onto a DVD (and I haven't seen a tutorial that does it) would be a time consuming task.

If you don't have a standalone that can play DivX files, then you might consider converting the AVI files into 'Half-D1' DVD titles (using a low bitrate to keep the size down).
    I have done this with DVD Flick and got 4 1/2 hours on a standard disk with acceptable quality on a small TV.

The Videohelp site might generate more response to this quest.

3. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

but 8 hours?.. nah.. even from vcd source those will look godawful

4. qjsbgn

qjsbgn Member

well I remember a standard cdr-vcd even filled to capacity at 80 minutes really didn't look or perform that bad. thats the only reason I assumed you could do the same with a dvd-r (fill it to capacity)

just for the record I have not personally gone without an standalone mpeg-4 player since 2005 for my own personal divx viewing. I was thinking about all the poor other people who don't know about internet downloading or mpeg4 and still have non-divx dvd players, ah well

thanks all

5. catfreak

catfreak Active member

I suppose that if you wanted to play a 450 minute DVD on a portable player that plays Divx and has a screen size of 5" or so, you may be satisfied with the result . . .

Personally with the price of DVDs being really reasonable, I wouldn't bother

Just my 2ยข worth

cf

6. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

max time for a single layer dvd at anything like watchable quality is 3 hours.. over that go for dual layer.. with all the associated problems with standalone players and burners..
    vcd's look horrid.. the running time is around 60 mins at 640x480 .. which is fine in India and places where they are still popular and people aren't as fussy when 20 people crowd round a 17" crt tv to watch the latest bollywood movie...

Different cultures expect different things from their entertainment.. vcd is fine on smaller screens where first and foremost it's the content at low price which is important rather than the output quality