1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much compression can I apply to a DVD .iso before quality loss becomes noticable?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Fenric, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Fenric

Fenric Member

Hi all,
    I am a relative n00b when it comes to backing up DVDs, but I have a huge Doctor Who collection which I need to put away to save space. So I bought a 2TB HDD, and I have been backing them up using the readom command in Linux, i.e. straight DVD9 to DVD9 .iso copies. However, with nearly 60 disks to go, I am rapidly running out of space on the HDD, so I figured it might be an idea to compress the .isos.
    I'm not going to burn them to disk, so it's not an issue, I just need access to the .isos.

So, my question is this: How much compression can I apply to a DVD .iso before quality loss becomes noticeable? I am using a 1080p HD TV as a monitor, if that matters.

Even if I can shave a few hundred MB off the .isos, that would help some, but I want to preserve as much of the quality as possible.

Also, what would be the best software for the job? As I said, I have so far been using Linux's readom command, and I have Handbrake and DVD95 installed. I also have access to a Windows PC, so if there are better options for Windows, I am open to them.

Sorry for the long winded post, but any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

2. aldan

aldan Active member

you have a 2tb hard drive.60 dvds are not going to make a dent in it.

3. Fenric

Fenric Member

Sorry, 60 DVDs are what I have left to do. :) I have already copied over about 140 - 150.

4. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

why save them as iso's?.. thats a stupid waste of space.. convert them using acidrip

5. Fenric

Fenric Member

I wanted to keep the disk, extras and easter eggs intact. Plus it makes it easier than wading through over 1500 files, which is what I tried previously :)

6. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

then you will need to buy another drive ..
    you make things smaller by changing the video format (codec) or by dropping extras..
    the most obvious way to get them smaller would be to alter the actual video to "half D1" .. but I'm guessing that may look awful on your monitor.. probably doesn't look too hot to start with at 720x576.. give xdvdshrink a shot with one disk and see how awful the output comes out. I'm guessing these disks have a lot more runtime than 3 hours each?

7. Fenric

Fenric Member

Correct. 3 - 4 hours including extras. I tried DVD Shrink, Nero Recode and DVD Rebuilder with HC encoder, at around 80% quality, and they were terrible with the exception of DVD Rebuilder, which was only slightly off, but better than I have seen with anything else, so I am going to play around with that for a bit, and experiment. Short of that, I think you are right. I may have to invest in another drive. But hell, it saves space, and saves wear on my disks, and allows me to enjoy them in full, so I consider it a worthwhile investment. :)

Thank you all for your input. :)