1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having many problems converting and authoring DVD

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Gibush, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Gibush

Gibush Member

Hi.
    Basically, I've been trying to download videos from YouTube and such sites and burn them to a DVD.

So far I've been using DVDFlick - pop in the videos and then click Create DVD.

But there are problems - the encoding takes hours and the audio is not synced.
    The videos that I'm currently trying to author or convert to DVD are .m4v's.
    I found a thread here with a similar complaint and one of the users said that "encoding with DVDFlick is a nono" and that you shouldn't have to encode it, just "author" it. I don't know how to just use DVDFlick to author rather than encode. The person on the forum (actually I think it was a different forum on which this was recommended) said to use the program "GUI for dvdauthor". It seems to have a good interface and all, but when I try to use it, the videos didn't show up. Well, the forum person said to try renaming them to .mpg. (Like I said, they were .m4v). This worked, as I could now play it in Windows Media rather than Quicktime.

Anyway, I tried putting the .mpg into the program and it seemed to work except when I clicked (whatever button, Create DVD or whatever) it said there was a 99% chance that it wouldn't work because Mux=No.

So I found out I should "run" the files through MPEGsomething or other (can't remember the program name). For some reason the "convert to..." options were grayed out on the "File" screen. I tried just 'saving' the files AS an .mpg but got an error.

Then someone said to use "TMPGEnc". You go to file, MPEG options, then 'simple demultiplex', to make it have both an audio and a video track. I put in the audio and video output directories and put in the .mpg file. I get the error "Illegal Mpeg Stream".

I'm insanely frustrated right now.

Could anyone give me some (hopefully) short, concise instructions, making sure you talk as if I'm a child, on how to successfully convert/author a .m4v file and make it into one of those "VIDEO_TS" folders. Thanks, if so.

PS:
    Some more info
    Windows XP Pro
    1 gig ram
    P4 w/HT 3.0ghz
    512 Radeon HD 4650

Files I'm trying to convert and burn: 3 hours of embedded videos I'm downloading that make up a web-series

EDIT: I managed to encode the files to MPEG-2 finally with TMPGEnc, but when I open the videos, they seem to jump forward every few seconds! It screwed up again!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  2. attar

attar Senior member

'Authoring' a DVD infers that the source files are DVD compliant (E.G 720x480 resolution MPEG2 file with AC3 audio).
    If the files are compliant then the authoring is quite fast.
    If the source files are not compliant, they have to be run through an encoder, which in your case, if you have a single core PC, will take time.

I am not current with .m4v files, but in DVD Flick you can try this:
    Load the source file.
    'Edit Title'
    'Audio Tracks'
    'Edit'
    'Ignore Audio Delay for this Track'.

Alternatively.
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Any_Video_Converter_Free_Version

Run Any Video Converter'
    Load the source file.
    On the top right, set 'DVD Video NTSC Movie' (or PAL if that's the case).

Play the output file to verify that is synced.
    Load this DVD compliant output file into DVD Flick.

Under 'Project Settings' 'Video' 'Advanced', ensure that 'Copympeg2 files' is checked.
    (because it's a DVD compliant file and you don't want to re-encode it -and you can probably uncheck 'Ignore audio delay...).
    Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011