AfterDawn: Tech news

PayPal joins IFPI in effort to shut down illegal music sites

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 24 Jul 2011 3:05 User comments (13)

PayPal joins IFPI in effort to shut down illegal music sites PayPal UK has announced today they have joined with the IFPI and the City Of London Police in an effort to "starve" websites which make money off the sharing of unauthorized music.
Says the press release:

When presented with sufficient evidence of unlicensed downloading from a site, the United Kingdom's PayPal branch will require the retailer to submit proof of licensing for the music offered by the retailer.

One official added:

We've always banned PayPal's use for the sale of content that infringes copyright, and the new system will make life even harder for illegal operators. Our partnership with the music industry helps rights holders make money from their own content while stopping the pirates in their tracks.

Additionally, the anti-piracy groups have created a set of "best practice procedures" for credit card companies "to distribute both internally and to banks that use their services, which help identify infringing websites and prevent them from being granted card payment facilities."

The IFPI says credit card payment services have already been withdrawn from 24 unauthorized music stores.

Previous Next  

13 user comments

124.7.2011 04:01

I fail to see how this will affect sites piracy sites; they don't sell anything using paypal and they can just use bitcoin for donations and ad revenue.

224.7.2011 06:29

It is funny how the music business gets so many worlwide entities to do work for the. FREE!

324.7.2011 07:51

Who in their right mind would use Paypal for purchasing pirated music in the first place?

Well developed websites like for instance in Russia have their own payment methods. If the payment did come indirectly from Paypal no one would ever know.

Stupidity abounds.

Jeff

424.7.2011 10:27

i think bitcoins are the wave of the future. pretty soon everyone will start using it for security's sake. your bitcoins cannot be seized like your bank account can.

524.7.2011 13:09
surrealzz
Unverified new user

Ummmm..... Thanks Paypal for getting into matters that don't actually concern you at all. Ya bunch of WANKSTAZZ!!!

624.7.2011 13:26

The press release wasn't all that clear, but maybe in the future this could be extended to sites like FileSonic..which does accept PayPal? They don't sell music persay, but they pay uploaders. Not sure...

724.7.2011 14:57

They have been emailing me to update my credit card details but I think I will let them lapse.
I never liked them anyway.

824.7.2011 15:42

And the people who like getting everything for nothing whine their tiny-brained heads!

924.7.2011 16:01

Not at all.
A well established music website charges money.
The difference being they do not charge $0.99 per song like iPrunes.
Pennies on the dollar which is the way it should be. the top 100 costs a little more while obscure and old school music that is rarely downloaded is a lot cheaper.

Do you also have a problem with that?

Jeff

1024.7.2011 17:10

Originally posted by Frogfart:
They have been emailing me to update my credit card details but I think I will let them lapse.
I never liked them anyway.
K maybe I missed the /sarcasm or something but I am pretty sure that is a textbook fishing scheme you're referring to there. Don't fall for that one or it will ruin your day for sure!

1124.7.2011 17:34

Best start with ebay then paypal well over half of the mp3 players on there are sold with 1000's of tunes loaded by naughty sellers to make there device more appealing...

1225.7.2011 10:16

Originally posted by surrealzz:
Ummmm..... Thanks Paypal for getting into matters that don't actually concern you at all. Ya bunch of WANKSTAZZ!!!
They don't care unless their brand is on the site or paypal is being used to facilitate the money. Otherwise they do not care.

1325.7.2011 16:38

I think they may use this to seize funds from torrent sites where some people choose to donate to the site to help with server/seedbox costs, but I know quite a few of them have alternative methods of donating

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive