1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MP3 Settings for Converting RealAudio

Discussion in 'Audio' started by demid, Jun 20, 2004.

1. demid

demid Member

I've been enjoying my Streambox VCR for some time now, but I have no idea what settings to use when converting the captured stream into MP3 using Streambox Ripper. The best I can hope to know about my .ra or .rm files is the bit rate and mono/stereo info. What setting do I use to convert my stream into MP3 without losing the audio quality but without squandering space either? Thanks.

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

transcoding will never be lossless, at least use the same bitrate or one level higher.

3. demid

demid Member

Thanks for the pointer. Still, I am unsure about the mono/stereo aspect. RealAudio seems to double the file size with the same bitrate in case of stereo signal as opposed to mono. Yet the MP3 encoder seems to produce a file of the same size regardless of whether I set the encoding output setting to mono or stereo. Does this mean that I have to at least double the MP3 bitrate to account for a RealAudio stereo signal to get appr. the same audio quality?