1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Application Error .exe won't start. (Newly Built Computer)

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Kamui2007, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Kamui2007

Kamui2007 Member

Hi there. I'm posting this message on my laptop right now because I'm unable to do much of anything on my PC . I purchased a whole layout of parts through Newegg this past month. Basically I had to rebuild my computer from scratch though. So my friend installed his copy of Windows 7 onto my HD and has my data on it now too from my backups. He made me have to do all the labor in putting the computer together though. I have never built one because it took me 4+ hours of looking up information and putting things in place before I got things figured out properly. Now I'm all happy and giddy that my computer is working. I actually am able to boot up to Windows and everything. So I try to plug in my ethernet cable and go online only to find an error waiting for me when I try to open Firefox OR Internet Explorer.

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142) Click OK to close the application.

I read around online some that it sounded like a registry error. There is a program called CCleaner on my desktop that has an option to clean the registry, and I tried that. It corrected 11 different things saying that they all needed to be deleted .

Is there any reason as to why I am unable to launch this files? And is there any fix? Also tried running as administrator and that didn't work either.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

is his copy of win7 oem(dell\hp) or retail(store bought)?

3. Kamui2007

Kamui2007 Member

To be honest, I do not know. It more then likely, the non-retail one though.