AfterDawn: Tech news

RIAA targets label sanctioned downloads in DMCA takedowns

Written by Rich Fiscus @ 12 Sep 2011 4:09 User comments (4)

RIAA targets label sanctioned downloads in DMCA takedowns If you want to know why so many people think the PROTECT IP censorship bill is so dangerous, you don't have to look any further than how the RIAA misuses current laws to attack non-infringing content.
DMCA takedowns submitted to Chilling Effects show the RIAA claiming links posted to Twitter pointed to infringing content when in reality they were direct links to a label owned website.

Chilling Effects is a clearinghouse of DMCA takedown requests, many of which are submitted by companies like Google and Twitter. It is run by the Electronic Frontier Foundation in cooperation with several prestigious law schools from across the US.

PROTECT IP's proposed blacklist starts with the assumption complaints from organizations like the RIAA are honest and fully informed when they claim a given piece of content is infringing. The reality is very different.

Music industry organizations have a history of problems distinguishing official content from unauthorized. They've even been known to make DMCA claims over content not owned by their members.

In recent months they have even convinced the federal government to take legal action against blogs who offered downloads provided by labels for promotional purposes.

Even the labels themselves have been known to claim their own artists are pirates.

Yet these are exactly the people Congress is listening to in putting together PROTECT IP, making the Internet less secure for everyone in the process.

Previous Next  

4 user comments

112.9.2011 18:08

Listening to Ric Ocasek who is a member of the late '70s early '80's hit makers, "The Cars" stated the is no longer a music industry. The powers at be are lawyers, Guns and Money.

I've said this before... Look for more independent labels, artists selling their music on line or out of the back of their vehicles.

Now that I'm 56 and rarely play the amount of music I did on the guitar when I was younger, I would distance myself far away as possible from the RIAA. Maybe the Moon or Mars....
Jeff

212.9.2011 23:05

There was a time when the internet was just IP addresses...piracy was everywhere and half the websites were dedicated to stealing credit card numbers or making IEDs. There was no facebook, no myspace, no twitter, no DRM, and almost no users. This is what will be created if the RIAA gets their way. They think this will drive normal users to stores to buy music at insane prices, just like in the 1980's...and they don't care if they destroy the economy of the entire country in the process.

317.9.2011 20:21
Zoo_Look
Inactive

Even without the internet, DRM and Piracy existed.

I remember on my brother's old Amstrad-CPC (cassette based), some of his software had a security feature called Lenslok... each time you ran the program (taking half an hour to get there), you were required to hold a distorting plastic lens in front of you to un-mangle a word shown on screen. Each lens was unique and apparently paired specifically to that cassette, thus rendering copies useless.

The problem was... it was crap! Several times a session he had to re-load from scratch (another half hour), as a wrong code would reset the computer.

So even then, we also had DRM causing users with paid for, legit software problems just to use it!

Strange how little DRM has actually changed really!

edit:
I can't believe I actually looked on Wikipedia for it, and I REALLY can't believe there's an article on it!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 17 Sep 2011 @ 8:26

417.9.2011 21:35

"Even without the internet, DRM and Piracy existed."

Maybe copy protection but not DRM.
In my Amiga days piracy was a bigger problem then it is today.

At one point point most games were not written in Amiga DOS. You had to boot them from floppy disk(s) which were copy protected. The manufacturer like Electronic Arts did the dirty work.

It still didn't curb piracy with programs like Alcohol 120. Yep, A120 has been around for ages.

Games like F-18 that were written with Amiga DOS which was not completed because the developer jumped ship to the PC platform... Man it had a weird ending EA finished it with....
All you had to do is open a hex editor, change all the references from the floppy drive to the hard drive allowing you to install the game on the hard drive.
Jeff

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 17 Sep 2011 @ 11:43

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive