AfterDawn: Tech news

Studio's 'Ultraviolet' getting a bad rap

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 21 Oct 2011 3:16 User comments (6)

Studio's 'Ultraviolet' getting a bad rap Ultraviolet appears to be a fail, for now.
The service, which comes included with physical movie discs and allows users to have a digital copy remain in a "digital locker" for viewing has been hit with terrible reviews on Amazon and elsewhere.

"Green Lantern," by Warner Bros., is the first film to come including the service.

Here are two examples of reviews the service is getting:

This review does not relate to the movie, but it is focused on the ridiculous process to download the digital copy. After creating accounts for both Flixster and Ultraviolet, linking the accounts, enabling WB to view my personal information, the system hangs and doesn't download the movie. I contacted Ultraviolet first with the issues and error messages. After a day, I was told this is not an Ultraviolet issue, but a Flixster problem. I then contacted Flixster. They responded by sending me to the FAQ. To date, I have not gotten a proper response from Flixster on the error messages. I plan on canceling both accounts and will NEVER buy another DVD tied to Ultraviolet. This is a complete rip off and WB should be ashamed of this dreadful service. Please do yourself a favor and don't buy the movie with the digital copy. If you want a digital version, just got to iTunes.

First off I really liked the movie, if I was just rating the movie, it would probably be 3 1/2 stars, however, I have spent 4 days now trying to get this so called "digital copy". I knew what Ultraviolet was, and I thought it had promise to be used to stream to any device not locked to just one service (itunes), but it doesn't work. First off you have to sign into 4 different services to even get this stuff to maybe work, [...] some ultraviolet site and to "manage" your collection flixster collections...when in trying to link all of these useless accounts I can no longer access the movie to stream. So I am left with a product that does not work and customer service is a joke. I have been bounced around from site to site and from rep to rep who keep telling me to do the same thing over and over again, no matter how many times I tell them what has happened and what the issue is.

This flixster ultraviolet "suckloution" is the worst ever, you are better off ripping the DVD...

You can read more here.

Tags: Ultraviolet
Previous Next  

6 user comments

121.10.2011 16:09

Ultraviolet copy...? Seems to me it's turning into an ultra-violent copy.

Far be it from me to say "I told you so" with this 'cloud' caca de toro, but I see the complications surmounting much higher than this. A song is one thing, something the size of a movie is quite another. Not to mention the fist fights probably going on amongst the 'behind the scenes' companies, governing who controls the flow of information for these movies.

It's just another fecal storm waiting to happen...

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 21 Oct 2011 @ 4:13

221.10.2011 23:12

this is the worst I am canceling my account now! To bad I gave them my personal information to send me a bunch of garbage I won't be able to access anyway

321.10.2011 23:27

If this system had worked perfectly, it would still be terrible; as bad as iTunes...as it is it does not work at all. Considering this is because of layer upon layer of useless DRM, just pirate it...that way you won't waste your money on some terrible flic that isn't worth watching for free.

422.10.2011 11:35

Yeah I paid $0 downloading a HD digital copy in the first place and it sounds as though I saved myself a lot of frustration in the process...

522.10.2011 13:47

Originally posted by dEwMe:
Yeah I paid $0 downloading a HD digital copy in the first place and it sounds as though I saved myself a lot of frustration in the process...

this is what they want, "your honor we offered a legal means of obtaining the movies and they still pirate" judge: your right those little rascals *gavel*

622.10.2011 14:34

Originally posted by Hopium:
this is what they want,
"your honor we offered a legal means of obtaining the movies and they still pirate"
judge: your right those little rascals *gavel*
"I hereby order each defendant render $14 million for each movie downloaded. No appeals. Next rapei... I mean next case!"

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive