AfterDawn: Tech news

Shocker: The RIAA wants the DMCA re-made

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 06 Nov 2011 4:41 User comments (12)

Shocker: The RIAA wants the DMCA re-made After numerous high-profile losses in court, the RIAA's senior vice president of litigation Jennifer Pariser says the labels may soon ask Congress to make changes to the DMCA.
Pariser claims that the DMCA does not protect against online piracy like it is supposed to.

The attorney, speaking during a recent panel discussion said (via Greg Sandoval of Cnet):

I think Congress got it right, but I think the courts are getting it wrong. I think the courts are interpreting Congress' statute in a manner that is entirely too restrictive of content owners' rights and too open to [Internet] service providers.

We might need to go to Congress at some point for a fix. Not because the statute was badly drafted but because the interpretation has been so hamstrung by court decisions.

Pariser says the RIAA has not asked anyone in Congress for any action, yet, and they do not plan to do so in the near future.

Previous Next  

12 user comments

16.11.2011 17:26

I guess if you don't feel you're winning enough it's time to get the rules changed??? These people are whiney little bitches and need to be taken out of the picture as they are just becoming more and more obsolete every day!

27.11.2011 02:40

LoL...the RIAA wrote the DMCA and congress didn't even read it before signing. It was even written in a way that made it unconstitutional, with the condition that when a huge corporation needed the constitutional protections that it stomps on, they could have a judge make an extremely specific exception for their one product.

On top of that, they just got the ACTA implemented without congress even approving it, by getting Osama bin Obama to issue an executive order.

...And, they recently admitted that they are doing great right now, with strong growth while the rest of the economy is going into the toilet.

So, the logical thing is to keep pushing I guess...it is never enough until a huge mob of armed citizens kills the lot of them...and even then, their only regret would be not getting enough security.

37.11.2011 04:21

Continue voting for RIAA bandits with your billfolds, especially with the best blank media and a lot of HDD space.

47.11.2011 06:15

The courts are getting it wrong?

All I've seen is the RIAA getting multi millions of dollars in courts cost given to them, maybe they aren't happy with financly wiping out people who simply can't pay a 10,000 fine let alone pay a multi million payout.

I don't know how you could fix all these court mistakes when they have all ended up in the favour of RIAA.

57.11.2011 07:11
Stopcensorshipyoucnt
Unverified new user

Fuck RIAA MPA

67.11.2011 08:25

Originally posted by KillerBug:
LoL...the RIAA wrote the DMCA and congress didn't even read it before signing. It was even written in a way that made it unconstitutional, with the condition that when a huge corporation needed the constitutional protections that it stomps on, they could have a judge make an extremely specific exception for their one product.

On top of that, they just got the ACTA implemented without congress even approving it, by getting Osama bin Obama to issue an executive order.

...And, they recently admitted that they are doing great right now, with strong growth while the rest of the economy is going into the toilet.

So, the logical thing is to keep pushing I guess...it is never enough until a huge mob of armed citizens kills the lot of them...and even then, their only regret would be not getting enough security.
I think you've said it perfectly right here and to something I've been saying lately more times then I can count. These people want more,even if they get what they want they will go for more.

But not only that it really feels like were in either the Twilight Zone or we were all placed in an alternate dimension or something,things are escalating to the point nothing can stop these people except Bankruptcy..but that'll never happen depending who is President.

77.11.2011 10:13

Originally posted by Tristan_2:
Originally posted by KillerBug:

I think you've said it perfectly right here and to something I've been saying lately more times then I can count. These people want more,even if they get what they want they will go for more.

But not only that it really feels like were in either the Twilight Zone or we were all placed in an alternate dimension or something,things are escalating to the point nothing can stop these people except Bankruptcy..but that'll never happen depending who is President.
Nah, it is more like an alien invasion story where the evil aliens suck the lifeforce from humanity in order to make toothpick polish.

87.11.2011 10:51

It's beginning to remind me of that bad vampire movie where all the the vampires start to turn "Soilent Green" on one another. Where humanity has literally become cattle & the food supply has hit complete bottom...

Seems to me the RIAA has hit it's legal skids & can't get anyone to listen to them anymore. The BS to money load has become so disproportionate to outcry no one is willing to get any of the stink on them anymore. So now they have this issue to deal with. And like the rest of the folks are saying here, the fat kid in a game of tag (that can't run for shit) hovering around base while all the kids are snicking at him decides to change the rules of the game to give himself all the Cartman unfair advantages.

I'd just be ready to put all your extra spending cash into canned food & shotguns before long folks.

97.11.2011 11:59

Originally posted by LordRuss:

I'd just be ready to put all your extra spending cash into canned food & shotguns before long folks.
Bingo...
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Nov 2011 @ 11:59

107.11.2011 16:48

lol the law protects the user as well as the big corps . the good with the bad to have the law re done to be 100% in your favor is wrong

117.11.2011 17:03

Originally posted by deak91:
lol the law protects the user as well as the big corps . the good with the bad to have the law re done to be 100% in your favor is wrong
Nothing like having at one Mobius Strip for those Nazis to play with.

122.3.2012 03:59

Originally posted by dp70:
Continue voting for RIAA bandits with your billfolds, especially with the best blank media and a lot of HDD space.

The odd thing here is that the RIAA gets a piece of the pie every time you *buy* that blank media. Go figure...

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
2 user comments
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive