AfterDawn: Tech news

WWDC: The new MacBook Pros are really expensive, include Retina Display

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 11 Jun 2012 2:15 User comments (26)

WWDC: The new MacBook Pros are really expensive, include Retina Display

Today at their annual WWDC event, Apple has unveiled their new line of MacBook Pros.
The new computer will be just 0.71-inches thick, the thinnest Pro model yet, says the company.

Most importantly, the 15.4-inch device will have Retina Display, by far the "the highest resolution" of any notebook on the market, at a hefty 220 pixels per inch. The resolution is 2,880 x 1,800.

Apple has updated each of the native apps like Mail, Safari, and iPhoto to take advantage of the new resolution. Third-party devs are doing the same.

The specs are pretty decent, with i7 quad-core processors up to 2.7GHz, up to 16GB of 1,600MHz RAM, 768GB of Flash storage, a GT650M, USB 3/USB 2 ports, an SD card slot, HDMI, a backlit keyboard, multitouch trackpad, 802.11n Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth 4.0.

Battery life is stated at 7 hours.

For the base model, which comes with Retina, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD, the price is $2199. The high-end model will likely top out around $3800.

Previous Next  

26 user comments

111.6.2012 14:34

No optical drive. No hardwired faster internet connection. Apple calls them legacy devices. A vast majority of people still use so-called legacy devices.

$3800.00 for a soon to be obsolete toy?

No thanks

I'm sure Apple Sheeple people will just love it.

Sit on it and spin Apple!

Jeff

211.6.2012 15:11

I have a Macbook. There's no way I would spend that much on a computer in this day and age. No effing way. I'd much rather maintain my old mac or just bite the bullet and move over to Linux.

311.6.2012 15:38

Originally posted by Michael__s:
I have a Macbook. There's no way I would spend that much on a computer in this day and age. No effing way. I'd much rather maintain my old mac or just bite the bullet and move over to Linux.
I dual boot Win7 and Puppy Linux. Linux is a great OS but after years of Unix, DOS and Amiga-DOS I like the simplicity of Windows.

Apple wants to dictate what users need. The sad part is most Mac users are computer illiterate and depend on Apple to decide what's best for their minions.

Jeff

411.6.2012 17:07

Just so there's no confusion, these are NEW models called "MacBook Pro with Retina Display"...it's not replacing the standard "MacBook Pro" models.

511.6.2012 17:21

No 13" with a Retina display? Come on Apple, you know it's possible.

Where'd the 17" go? I don't think that many people had it but I'm sure the multimedia enthusiasts will truly miss it.

No iMac change?

611.6.2012 20:51

Originally posted by mynamehere:
I for one am going to run out to my local apple boutique and buy the most expensive one they have. Maybe while I'm out I'll buy a diamond studded case for it as well. I want to be the first one at the upcoming rich b*tch convention to have one :)
I'd rather get the Nissan GT-R, just sayin ;)

711.6.2012 20:51

Seeing as the Standard MacBook Pro 15" is $1800 and the one with the Retna display is $2200 they want $400 just for the display upgrade? I am sure it is nice and all but not worth $400 in my opinion on top of the premium you pay just for the Apple Logo.

811.6.2012 22:03

Originally posted by core2kid:
Originally posted by mynamehere:
I for one am going to run out to my local apple boutique and buy the most expensive one they have. Maybe while I'm out I'll buy a diamond studded case for it as well. I want to be the first one at the upcoming rich b*tch convention to have one :)
I'd rather get the Nissan GT-R, just sayin ;)
At least the gt-r works with normal roads.

To be fair to Apple, these are pretty sweet...the displays are tiny and the price is insane, and the lack of a gigabit port is very sad...but still, very nice. Now, if they just installed Windows 7 and cut the price significantly, I might want one. Oh, and offer a 19" model; if I want a small display I'll buy a kindle.

911.6.2012 22:27

Windows 7 is going to look ridiculous on this. It looks so small on my 1080p 15.6", imagine this.

1011.6.2012 22:32

Windows 7 is going to look ridiculous on this. It looks so small on my 1080p 15.6", imagine this.
I thought I read somewhere that Apple will have drivers or something to auto scale if Windows is installed using BootCamp. Windows 8 will have native support for high resolution displays such as this so that the scaling does not get out of hand I know.

1111.6.2012 22:36

Originally posted by bobiroc:
I thought I read somewhere that Apple will have drivers or something to auto scale if Windows is installed using BootCamp. Windows 8 will have native support for high resolution displays such as this so that the scaling does not get out of hand I know.
They probably would but a part of me does want to see Windows 7 scaled on that.

1211.6.2012 22:43

They probably would but a part of me does want to see Windows 7 scaled on that.
Me either. MacBookPros are quality computers but not worth the price tag. Retina display is also nice but for most it is not a necessity. I have a nice quad-core/8GB ram 15.6" Laptop with a 1920x1080 resolution screen that looks fanstastic. It was comparable to the specs of the MacBookPros at the time and cost half as much. But hey I know some people will rush out and buy one just so they can play their Facebook Games in Retina resolution.

1311.6.2012 22:48

Biggest problem with these is that NONE of these are upgradable. If you look at the pictures on their site, you'll see that the SSD and RAM are a part of the motherboard now.

1411.6.2012 22:54

Biggest problem with these is that NONE of these are upgradable. If you look at the pictures on their site, you'll see that the SSD and RAM are a part of the motherboard now.
Oh I know.. I have serviced a few Apples in my day. This has been Apple's way for a while now. They do not want you to upgrade or expand. You want more storage? Buy a new one. It's the Apple way. I mean one of the first things I did to the laptop I bought was replace the Hard Drive with an SSD since the OEM wanted way too much for that upgrade direct from them. If you buy a MBP with the 64GB SSD and want more down the road you are stuck with that 64GB and you will have to add an external drive. No WiFi nearby... Oh well you get no internet today despite having ports nearby.

Apple has always been about asthetics and catering to the hipsters over functionality.

1512.6.2012 05:59

Wow, thats ridiculous. I think even the biggest Apple lovers would have trouble defending this.

1612.6.2012 07:01

$3800?!
I could supply each of the twelve kids in my daughter's Latin class a laptop for that much money.

1712.6.2012 07:15

Originally posted by pensfan12:
Wow, thats ridiculous. I think even the biggest Apple lovers would have trouble defending this.

They say most people never upgrade, and this way they can make the device more compact and the Crapple logo looks even cooler. That was the excuse for developing a smaller SIM for the iPhone. And it "just works", until one sunny day you find your device is actually not working anymore, so it needs to be serviced, but you have nor backup nor means to save your data, so you'd better say goodbye to the contents of your hard-wired storage. :P

Just thinking, Crapple fanboys' heads, however, don't look more compact despite having smaller brains installed.

1812.6.2012 11:54

Can't say that I can add anymore to the already rising watermark of tried & true, time tested, know reasons for probably NOT purchasing a CrApple money pit.

So I suppose I will leave you all with this poignant pictorial that might some up part of the situations we all feel is going on in the Apple upper echelon.

1914.6.2012 04:41

Seeing as the Standard MacBook Pro 15" is $1800 and the one with the Retna display is $2200 they want $400 just for the display upgrade? I am sure it is nice and all but not worth $400 in my opinion on top of the premium you pay just for the Apple Logo.
If you're comparing it like that, for that $400.. you're getting the retina display, 8GB RAM (instead of 4GB), solid-state drive and Nvidia GT 650M with 1GB (instead of 512MB)

2014.6.2012 11:31

Originally posted by abdel_m:
If you're comparing it like that, for that $400.. you're getting the retina display, 8GB RAM (instead of 4GB), solid-state drive and Nvidia GT 650M with 1GB (instead of 512MB)
You're also getting sand in the vaseline.

2114.6.2012 11:39

People must love having the Eiffel Tower shoved up their rectum.

Jeff

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 Jun 2012 @ 11:47

2214.6.2012 11:56

Just for those who don't know:

MacBook Pros are made for professionals in the film, advertising and design industry.

This is not meant for the casual user, like most of you.

2314.6.2012 12:08

"Just for those who don't know:

MacBook Pros are made for professionals in the film, advertising and design industry.

This is not meant for the casual user, like most of you."

I don't think so. The new "Pro" commercials address Joe Chardonnay not pro's.

Another Apple fanboy...

Jegg

2414.6.2012 12:16

Jeffrey_P has a point.

However I think that the retina display should be optional. What if I want a regular Mac for regular people?

2514.6.2012 12:26

The new "Pro" commercials address Joe Chardonnay not pro's.
I think I understand what you're trying to say.

2614.6.2012 12:32

"However I think that the retina display should be optional. What if I want a regular Mac for regular people?"

Producing such an expensive piece that basically cannot be repaired nor upgraded making it a throw-away item is unexcetable. That's a lot of cash only to be thrown in a dumpster at the end of it's life.
Jeff

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive