1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't download SWF- Flash Video Files. Help please

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by lieutenantfrost, Sep 12, 2012.

1. lieutenantfrost

lieutenantfrost Member

I was trying to download some flash video from vice.com, they do a lot of documentaries. Usually I have no problem using youtube downloader or real player to grab various flash videos.

However I've had no success getting the videos from this site.

I did some searching and the only solution I could find was this

On the "page info" popup, choose the "Media" tab. This tab shows the locations and information on any media on the page -- images, music, and video files. There should be a list of items; each of these represents one media file used on the page. You know what you're looking for-- a .swf file. Looking at the second column "Type", you can rule out any files of type "image", "background", or "audio". Look for files with the "embed" type. Flash .swf files are tagged as "embed" by your browser because they are "embed" objects in the source code of the page. Once you rule out all objects that are not tagged "embed", you can look specifically for your file by looking at the file types. You are looking for objects that are labeled "application/x-shockwave-flash". There should be only a few on these on the list.

This didn't work, and only allowed me to download a file but that file won't play.

At this point I don't really care about the video, I just want to know how to get around this.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    thanks

2. mrspatz

mrspatz Member

looks like youtube have blocked downloading on all there videos now (did wonder why you couldnt download stuff on 4od &5demand which youtube host but could other stuff) i have tried with various downloaders which work fine on non youtube videos but none of them now download of youtube which sucks, hopefully some smart person will have a work around very soon, they usally do