1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Repair old vhs tapes

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by disne, Oct 26, 2012.

1. disne

disne Member

Is there a way to restore old vhs tapes?
    Is there a way to repair my vhs tapes?
    I have plenty of vhs tapes that have been there for around 12 years they are a rare collection of original disney movies(they are dubbed in arabic and i don't think i can easily find the whole collection on dvd),the thing is that some movies started to hv sort of distorted or un clear frames especially when the movie is about to end i know this doesn't seem technical but around the end of some movies the image is damaged and it blurrs with these black and white lines that i could hardly see the picture i hv tried rewinding it a couple of times(and when it's rewinding the frames look fine) but it won't go and and i tried other tapes but they were ok
    Can i do something about it? Could it possibaly by the vcr?and not the tapes
    P.S:my vcr is old
    ThX in advance

2. attar

attar Senior member

3. plaplasticman

plaplasticman Member

hi

2 things for you to think about :

vhs tapes really only had a shelf life of about 6 years , longer if they were kept away from direct sunlight and stored properly. If you have 12 years and they still run you really are fortunate(thats not to say ,i have translated 20 year old tapes to dvd)

how often do you clean your vhs player? dirty heads are a common cause of tapes getting corroded and wearing.

4. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

I just donated all of mine to someone else that can use them and bought the DVD's or made a back up of them.They take up to much space in the house.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012