AfterDawn: Tech news

No exemption for DVD ripping, jailbreaking consoles

Written by James Delahunty @ 26 Oct 2012 11:22 User comments (13)

No exemption for DVD ripping, jailbreaking consoles No exemptions for ripping, modding.
The U.S. Copyright Office periodically consults the public for possible exemptions to copyright laws in the country. For example, jailbreaking smartphones is exempt from the DMCA due to a previous review on how the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) affects consumers' legal use of electronics and content.

A frequent request is for an exemption for circumventing copy protection mechanisms in place on DVDs (CSS, for example) in order to make backup copies legally, and to allow the modifying (or jailbreaking if you prefer the term) of games consoles.

Sadly, the U.S. Copyright Office has rejected both requests this time around, and predictably, piracy is the root of its objections.

"[T]he record demonstrated that access controls on gaming consoles protect not only the console firmware, but the video games and applications that run on the console as well. The evidence showed that video games are far more difficult and complex to produce than smartphone applications, requiring teams of developers and potential investments in the millions of dollars. While the access controls at issue might serve to further manufacturers' business interests, they also protect highly valuable expressive works – many of which are created and owned by the manufacturers – in addition to console firmware itself."

While the exemption for jailbreaking smartphones has been upheld in this review, the Copyright Office failed to extend it to tablet PCs, arguing that an ebook reading device might be considered a tablet, as might a handheld video games device.

Public Knowledge was very displeased that no exemption has been provided for consumers to copy content from encrypted DVDs. In order to, for example, copy content from a Hollywood DVD to a format for an iPad or similar device, a consumer can use any of a number of ripping utilities to get the raw DVD-Video content - but must break the law to do so.

"Today's decision flies in the face of reality. The register and the librarian were unable to recognize that personal space shifting is protected by fair use. This has implications beyond making personal copies of motion pictures on DVD," said Michael Weinberg, a Public Knowledge vice president.

Previous Next  

13 user comments

126.10.2012 12:44

Big shock....

226.10.2012 21:34

Quote:
Sadly, the U.S. Copyright Office has rejected both requests this time around, and predictably, piracy is the root of its objections.
This is incorrect. Greed is the root of its objections. There is no reason to ban people from using readily available tools to transfer their legally purchased material from one device to another... unless you want them to pay for a new copy of that material for every device they want to play it on.

It would be pretty silly if they actually believed that this will stop a single real pirate from making copies.

327.10.2012 02:02

as far as im concerned if i own a dvd or tablet that is my property to do what i want with unless i have signed an agreement which states otherwise.

427.10.2012 06:43

if u look at the copy write notice at the beginning of a dvd u r breaking the law by letting anyone but the person who bought it watch it.

527.10.2012 10:30

If I buy a DVD, I always make a backup copy. To bad if they don't like it. They can lock me up and give me free room and board, three squares a day and healthcare. There's not enough room in our jails to do this, let alone pay for it. Also, how many citizens break laws every day? Millions if you consider those who pay no attention to highway/road speed limits, no parking signs, and whole plethora of unenforceable laws on the books.

627.10.2012 14:05

More idiotic & unworkable 'law'.

There are more of us than them, f*** em.

727.10.2012 17:57

Originally posted by Semperfipal:
.... how many citizens break laws every day? Millions if you consider those who pay no attention to highway/road speed limits, no parking signs, and whole plethora of unenforceable laws on the books.

Nothing is illegal until you get cough and the people with no money are the only ones that go to prison; including many no guilty.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 27 Oct 2012 @ 5:59

828.10.2012 03:30

Originally posted by Mrguss:
.... how many citizens break laws every day? Millions if you consider those who pay no attention to highway/road speed limits, no parking signs, and whole plethora of unenforceable laws on the books.

Nothing is illegal until you get cough and the people with no money are the only ones that go to prison; including many no guilty.
we have legal aid here for poor people you pay a small fee up to $30 i think and have a lawyer represent you up to the sum of $10000

928.10.2012 13:53

Originally posted by xboxdvl2:
Originally posted by Mrguss:

we have legal aid here for poor people you pay a small fee up to $30 i think and have a lawyer represent you up to the sum of $10000
Legal aid for lazy people you mean. I'm in Australia and because of the generous welfare, you get many people who don't work and they just bludge off the system.

102.11.2012 00:31

It's very true, not all are plain lazy... But many are. We know this, unfortunately lazy bastards working the system can still vote and it would be political suicide to mention it

112.11.2012 07:21

Originally posted by plush:
It's very true, not all are plain lazy... But many are. We know this, unfortunately lazy bastards working the system can still vote and it would be political suicide to mention it
if we just had the rich wealthy people voting we would have the rich in power regardless of whats best for the country or its people.the rich would get richer the government would do whats in the interest of rich people and only that.I dont vote.

122.11.2012 12:21

Agreed... I'll just keep doing the best I can, and keep fighting... As for the article, it won't stop many just make it harder to distribute the software for it. ( or is the software legal to have, just not use?).

132.11.2012 15:02

Anyone who makes a backup copy of a DVD should demand to be locked up with health care, food and a extra blanket.Instant over the top extreme over crowding. Then watch the high muckity mucks squirm.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive