1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some AVI files play, others wont.

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by OralB, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OralB

OralB Member

Hey everyone! So, I burned a movie that I downloaded (It was a free legal download, not pirated) to some a DVD, and it played fine on my Xbox 360. The file was .avi. I downloaded another movie, .avi as well, but this time it will not burn or play on the Xbox. It plays just fine on the computer, no issues at all, but when I try to burn it I get the error "0x80020063" during the verification process, and the DVD will not burn. I put in another blank DVD and burned the previous movie, it burned and played fine. So, I tried again with series 2, and the same error occurred. So judging off of that, it looks like it's not an error with the DVD or my drive.

The movie is in the same .avi format as the previous, and it plays just fine on the computer. But for some reason it just won't burn. That is what is really throwing me off. So, I figured it's an issue with the container or whatever it's called. Maybe it's just some funky container that is not supported for burning or playing on the Xbox. Does anyone know how I can get around this? I've tried converting to .mov with smart converter, still didn't burn or play. I also tried using ExpressBurn to burn it, didn't work either.
    Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  2. houndz17

houndz17 Member

AVI video often wraped with codec XVID, H.264, MPEG-4, MJPEG, MS MPEG4 V3, MS MPEG4 V2.

You can try to convert the avi files to a more standard format like mp4 then burn to dvd.

I have used AppGeeker DVD Creator and been reasonably satisfied with the result.

Try it.

3. megadunderhead

megadunderhead Regular member

i have one better for mac users use evom from the little app factory its free and converts all video into avi mpeg mpeg 4 then it can be transfered from mpeg 4 into idvd and burned that way

4. ballunknot

ballunknot Member

i am trying to play .avi movies from my pc on my new iMac using divx and or quicktime neither will allow me to because they do not accept ac3. how do i go about playing my pc movies on my mac or converting the files? thanks in advance. Lyle

5. megadunderhead

megadunderhead Regular member

easy actually use VLC media player

6. Nepheler

Nepheler Member

I'd prefer to transcode my AVI and MKV files to H.264 codec, it works great with most devices :p

7. attar

attar Senior member

The thread that won't die.

burke and hare.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

it is now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.