AfterDawn: Tech news

Support for Windows 7 without service pack ends tomorrow

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 08 Apr 2013 7:58 User comments (19)

Support for Windows 7 without service pack ends tomorrow Support for Microsoft Windows 7 RTM (without Service Pack 1) will end tomorrow, so it is certainly time to upgrade if you have not yet.
End of support means no more updates or security fixes for your operating system, leaving it more vulnerable to attack.

Says Microsoft: "Every Windows product has a lifecycle. The lifecycle begins when a product is released and ends when it's no longer supported or sold. Knowing key dates in this lifecycle helps you make informed decisions about when to upgrade or make other changes to your software."

Windows 7 with SP1 loses support in February 2015, but you can pay for extended support (including security fixes) until 2020.

Get Windows 7 SP1 here: Microsoft

Previous Next  

19 user comments

18.4.2013 23:04

Quote:
Windows 7 with SP1 loses support in February 2015, but you can pay for extended support (including security fixes) until 2020.
I wouldn't be surprised if you could find them somewhere without paying.

28.4.2013 23:18

Of course we'll be able to Jem, but I think with the soft acceptance of W8 from consumers and the absolute ZERO acceptance of it from any enterprise customers, MS will be forced to either design a new OS or release a W8 with a standard UI package for the PC work world, or extend support for W7 SP(X) until they figure out which one.
Of course by 2020 I think they'll have figured it out ;)

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Apr 2013 @ 11:20

38.4.2013 23:19

When I first saw this months ago I thought it was no big deal...but with sp1, the minimum internet explorer is ie9..and ie9 doesn't work with a whole slew of jm sites that were designed for ie6-8...this is actually a big deal for the corporate world, where the web applications that replaced computers with reels of tape are not going anywhere any time soon.

48.4.2013 23:39

Originally posted by ChappyTTV:
Of course we'll be able to Jem, but I think with the soft acceptance of W8 from consumers and the absolute ZERO acceptance of it from any enterprise customers, MS will be forced to either design a new OS or release a W8 with a standard UI package for the PC work world, or extend support for W7 SP(X) until they figure out which one.
I think you may be right Chappy.

I've considered giving Win8 a go on a new pooter with one of those free apps that replaces the Start button.

58.4.2013 23:57

Originally posted by Jemborg:
I think you may be right Chappy.

I've considered giving Win8 a go on a new pooter with one of those free apps that replaces the Start button.
So have I Jem. I ran the pre-release of W8 on a separate HDD for about a week and went straight back to W7. While 8 was snappy quick on my 1 y/o home build, I had no use for Metro what-so-ever!

69.4.2013 00:12

While 8 was snappy quick on my 1 y/o home build, I had no use for Metro what-so-ever!
Couldn't you just ignore that bit, just stick to the desktop part?

("Metro" makes me think of guys with pastel sweaters tied around their necks heh.)

79.4.2013 01:46

Quote:
The basic security fixes are free throughout the extended support phase. That's why XP still commands over 1/3 of the market share.

89.4.2013 10:22

While 8 was snappy quick on my 1 y/o home build, I had no use for Metro what-so-ever!
Couldn't you just ignore that bit, just stick to the desktop part?

("Metro" makes me think of guys with pastel sweaters tied around their necks heh.)

You have to use 3rd party apps to "just stick to the desktop part". Really rather pathetic that Microsoft; the giant corporation that has lead the way in operating system sales since before the GUI; can't do as good of a job making an interface as small 3rd party companies that (often) are just copying the old interfaces from Microsoft. Billy needs to spend less time worrying about designing the next-gen condom, and more time worrying about how Balmer is running off their core customers in a hopeless attempt to get customer segments that won't come over anyway. If Windows 8 isn't enough proof of this, IE9-10 cinches it. Here is a browser that can't do anything nearly as well as Chrome, a browser that has terrible security that blocks what you want and ignores malware...while having a poor interface and displaying many websites wrong. So, fail on the front of beating Chrome...and what did they have to sacrifice to get this failure? They sacrificed the business user who used IE6-8 because it was the only thing that worked with their corporate intranet apps, and IE6-8 are still the only browsers that work, IE9-10 can't even do that. If Microsoft continues down this path, we are going to see these IT departments switching off of Microsoft all together.

99.4.2013 12:00

Nothing like ending support for a WIDELY USED (and much loved) operating system and forcing people to either pay for F'ing security updates OR illicitly jack 'em and then THEY might have a virus/malware/etc. in it and then one needs a REAL security update to unfu*k what was just fuc*ed.

Microsoft's way of getting people onto an OS WITHOUT a "desktop"....

Partially lame but partially smart since they don't want people hanging on to OS's for as long as many schmucks did/do with XP.

109.4.2013 12:19

At least those 3rd party apps are free KB.

1110.4.2013 19:28

The good ones are not.

1211.4.2013 01:17

Originally posted by KillerBug:
The good ones are not.
I'll bear it in mind but honestly KB Classic Shell (donerware) has a great reputation as far as I can tell and just keeps improving.

I'll stick to Win7 for now anyway but for other reasons ;-) Although I was keen to see if it played games better as many say.

1311.4.2013 01:26

Big Deal

Did anyone think this.

Firefox

Safari

chrome

all do not require service pack 1 so you dont have to download it if you dont want to and i wouldn't because it's laced with windows kb971033 update which sends your personal information to microsoft no thank you

1411.4.2013 02:30

Originally posted by megadunderhead:

service pack 1 ... it's laced with windows kb971033 update which sends your personal information to microsoft no thank you
@ MDH... KB971033 is a validity verification update that does not even load nowadays unless you actively select it. It's easy to "hide" it so it never gets loaded too.

How do I know this? I install legitimate Win7 OSs with SP1 already streamlined into it all the time.

If you really care about your personal info don't use Chrome browser as it installs DoubleClick spyware onto your pooter. Even if you excoriate it it still reloads each time you run Chrome. Guess who bought DoubleClick for 3.1 billion?

There may be a way to prevent it, DoubleClick, from installing... I haven't looked into it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Apr 2013 @ 2:31

1511.4.2013 20:24

if you like a chromium based browser without big brother watching try comodo dragon.

1611.4.2013 23:06

Originally posted by megadunderhead:
because it's laced with windows kb971033 update which sends your personal information to microsoft
Funnily enough I can remember people making similar comments about XP, what with its capability for scanning your PC etc.
The US DoD was involved in its writing & creation.

What I do find amusing is the rather silly idea that only Microsoft are doing this stuff.

As Jemborg rightly says the others are at it too, whether it's for general snooping purposes or commercial gain I don't really see much difference.
My privacy is continually eroded.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Apr 2013 @ 11:08

1712.4.2013 09:17

The good ones are not.
I'll bear it in mind but honestly KB Classic Shell (donerware) has a great reputation as far as I can tell and just keeps improving.

I'll stick to Win7 for now anyway but for other reasons ;-) Although I was keen to see if it played games better as many say.

I apologize for butting in but wanted to add that I have been using Classic Shell for some time now and have been quite happy with it and Windows 8. Following your threads, I think that it will do what you want.

1812.4.2013 11:15

Originally posted by Interestx:
My privacy is continually eroded.
Indeed, they are getting VERY scarily sophisticated now... I just watched a program on it. Than Zeus for Adblock Plus (or Adblock Edge)

Check these out too...
http://www.squirrelconspiracy.net/abp/facebook-privacy-list.html
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/fbdc/
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta...giibghpglaidiec
and this beauty DoNotTrackMe: www.abine.com/dntdetail.php

The Facebook ones are just if you visit a page with a Facebook button on it... that right, you don't even have to be a member of Faceache they will get you even through your real life friends! WTF!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Apr 2013 @ 11:27

1912.4.2013 11:22

Originally posted by Virgil_B:
The good ones are not.

I apologize for butting in but wanted to add that I have been using Classic Shell for some time now and have been quite happy with it and Windows 8. Following your threads, I think that it will do what you want.
By all means, butt in. I've been wanting to hear about it. All I hear is whinging. The latest version of Classic Shell looks even better.

There will be a service pack update for Win8 at some time it should be interesting to see if they do anything radical like with XP SP2.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive