AfterDawn: Tech news

Sony unveils Xperia Z Ultra smartphone, with 6.4-inch 1080p display, 2.2GHz Snapdragon 800

Written by James Delahunty @ 25 Jun 2013 7:46 User comments (7)

Sony unveils Xperia Z Ultra smartphone, with 6.4-inch 1080p display, 2.2GHz Snapdragon 800 Sony has unveiled the new Xperia Z Ultra, touting a 6.4-inch 1080p display, Qualcomm's quad-core Snapdragon 800 (2.2GHz) and with LTE support.
The ultra-slim (6.5mm) and light (212 grams) device comes with 16GB of internal storage (up to 11GB available for general use) and a microSD slot for expanded storage (up to 64GB SDXC). It runs Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) and can record Full HD video with its 8MP camera, even underwater according to Sony.

It's giant 6.44-inch, 1920x1080 TFT display benefits from Sony's unique TRILUMINOS Display for mobile, creating a wider palette of rich natural colours thanks to Sony's BRAVIA TV expertise. A 3,000 mAh battery provides up to 550 hours standby time (GSM, 530 for UTMS, 510 for LTE) and Sony claims its 120 hours of music listening time is the world's longest on a charge for a smartphone.

"The Xperia Z Ultra is the most exciting revolution in large-screen smartphone entertainment devices with both the slimmest and largest Full HD smartphone display in the world that is second to none." said Calum MacDougall, Director of Xperia Marketing at Sony Mobile Communications.

"We're already bringing the best of Sony technology and design across a range of premium smartphones and tablets, and now we are bringing this same premium offering to the large-screen smartphone segment, setting a new standard for others to follow."

The Xperia Z Ultra will launch globally from Q3 2013 (exact timing of availability will vary by market).

Previous Next  

7 user comments

125.6.2013 11:56

I want a purple one.

225.6.2013 17:38

Freaking huge.

325.6.2013 23:16

How do you hold THAT monster to your ear?

426.6.2013 00:09

Originally posted by Jemborg:
will look crazy, i know, i know, but i would want it if it could be a capable reader including office files, which is not the case as of now. no good email client either. let me read office/email as if i were reading in a computer, and i am sold. after all, what is the point in owning a large smartphone if it cannot be used like your PC at least for reading?

526.6.2013 00:45

Originally posted by mukhis:
Originally posted by Jemborg:
will look crazy, i know, i know, but i would want it if it could be a capable reader including office files, which is not the case as of now. no good email client either. let me read office/email as if i were reading in a computer, and i am sold. after all, what is the point in owning a large smartphone if it cannot be used like your PC at least for reading?
I'm not knocking it Mukhis. I agree, it could be a very cool device.

Adding phone capacity to portable devices may become rather standard in the future regardless of it's size. You'll buy a video camera and it will have a phone chucked in.

626.6.2013 14:39

Jemborg,
look at the video above at :40 seconds in. You have a separate Bluetooth "handset". It's so big you have to have a "wireless phone" connect to if you look at it.

726.6.2013 22:01

Originally posted by rawlchris:
Jemborg,
look at the video above at :40 seconds in. You have a separate Bluetooth "handset". It's so big you have to have a "wireless phone" connect to if you look at it.
I see, you get the handset with it and, in theory, you can operate it single-handedly.

What with the waterproofing it's pretty nice.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive