AfterDawn: Tech news

As expected, Windows 8.1 RTM leaks early online

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 30 Aug 2013 10:27 User comments (6)

As expected, Windows 8.1 RTM leaks early online The leaks started earlier this week but the floodgates have now been opened.
On the 26th, a Chinese-language version of Windows 8.1 Enterprise RTM leaked online, followed by Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64, in full English, on the 28th, as a .wim file.

As of this weekend, we now have x86 and x64, both as untouched ISO files, ready for download and install.

The official download goes out on October 18th, so these ISOs are likely the packages Microsoft's OEM partners received.

Both ISOs are for build 6.3.9600.16384.WINBLUE_RTM.130821-1623, made available by Microsoft on August 21st. The files range from 3GB to 4GB.

If you are a frustrated Windows 8 user, it may be time to preview the latest update to your OS.

Previous Next  

6 user comments

131.8.2013 14:35

Quote:
If you are a frustrated Windows 8 user, it may be time to preview the latest update to your OS.
Only problem is that the "updates" really don't bring much to the table as far as features that were causing such frustration. I'm not even the slightest bit inclined to upgrade.

231.8.2013 14:55

I found a MUCH SIMPLER way to avoid the headaches of Windows 8...don't be STUPID and install windows 8 on your computer!

Problem Solved.

For those that already have it installed, you may want to get a new hard drive and install windows 7!

331.8.2013 15:53

I continue to question the wisdom of M$ trying to push out Win8, when Win7 has hardly reached maturity itself. Who wants to "upgrade" their OS, if they don't need to (and no one does, quite frankly), especially when the "upgrade" is only dubiously better in any way than its predecessor.

I blame this on the continued obsession with "revenue streams" by M$. The current push to "cloud computing", point of fact, was boasted about by M$ as a way to keep users "on the teat", so to speak; Office 365 is another perfect example. Thing is, while some of the earlier stuff - cloud computing, say - has gained some traction in the market (it DOES have certain uses), they keep pushing themselves right off into the deep end lately.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 31 Aug 2013 @ 3:53

431.8.2013 18:03

I just want to say that I don't have any major problems with w8. I got a laptop last Christmas and it was pre-installed. I did not have any compatibility issues with any of my programs. My only issues were the useless metro ui (more suited to a touch screen that I didn't have), the charms bar (pops up whenever you approach the middle to right part of the screen), and no start button with all of the menus that I am use to and love (or hate but find useful). Installing classic shell alleviated most of the issues (and annoyances) that I had. I was able to eliminate the charms bar issue without doing registry hacks or anything like that (it was mainly a swipe gesture issue with the track pad and not use of a mouse).

If you have a newer system, I don't see a reason to not keep w8 if you have it (but classic shell is a MUST). I just don't see a reason to upgrade to w8 if you have w7 (or even vista really...). While w8.1 adds back the start button, to my knowledge clicking on it will only bring up the charms bar which sucks balls for doing anything. I would be hesitant to upgrade to 8.1 just on the chance that it may adversely impact how classic shell works.

53.9.2013 16:06

I upgraded to 8 because of the lower system requirements than 7. It's built from scratch and is much more efficient. Plus, Win8 has the Windows+X shortcut that I would kill to have when I'm working on Win7 machines :P

also @Bozobub, you shouldn't generalize by saying nobody needs to upgrade. They're not your computers

63.9.2013 17:04

False. Nobody currently running Win7 needs to upgrade. It's patently obvious someone already running Win7 can run Win7 - lol...

There is a difference between generalization and overgeneralization.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive