AfterDawn: Tech news

Call of Duty dev explains lower resolution for 'Ghosts' on Xbox One

Written by James Delahunty @ 04 Nov 2013 10:05 User comments (10)

Call of Duty dev explains lower resolution for 'Ghosts' on Xbox One

Infinity Ward Executive Producer Mark Rubin has explained why Call of Duty: Ghosts renders at 720p on Xbox One.
It emerged last week that Call of Duty: Ghosts would render at 720p on the Xbox One console, which had some gamers scratching their heads since it will render at 1080p on the PS4.

According to Rubin, the problem was in the framerate. Infinity Ward wanted 60fps, but couldn't get it while rendering in 1080p.

"It's very possible we can get it to native 1080p [resolution]. I mean I've seen it working at 1080p native," Rubin told Eurogamer.

"It's just we couldn't get the frame rate in the neighborhood we wanted it to be. And it wasn't a lack of effort. It wasn't that it was like last minute. We had the theoretical hardware for a long time. That's the thing you get pretty quickly and that doesn't change dramatically."

He told GameSpot that the game renders at 720p on the Xbox One, and then upscales to 1080p for TV output.

"They both look great. The Xbox One is 720p, but it upscales to 1080p. So it is a 1080p output on your TV. The differences are probably more subtle than some people would notice, but some people will notice. It's such a hard thing to talk about," he said.

Previous Next  

10 user comments

15.11.2013 00:45

Let's be clear: The XBone is pretty much crap for gaming. M$ has lost their focus on a product (again), and now it's going to circle the drain (again).

I love how they try to gloss over the upscaling. There's a reason that always looks like crap, you know.

Might as well call it the XZune.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 05 Nov 2013 @ 12:46

25.11.2013 02:07

My DVD player upscales to 1080p....

35.11.2013 02:35

Originally posted by themind:
My DVD player upscales to 1080p....

Many do. And it always looks like crap.

45.11.2013 06:34

Upscaling is garbage. I would rather use the 720p.

55.11.2013 08:19

Honestly sounds to me they were too lazy to code it for 1080p on XBox. I mean the architecture is pretty damn close to the same, there is no reason they couldn't have just worked on it longer, delay the launch, or patch it later. (Other than they wanted to just accept the cash cow $ they know they will get to work on next year's release).

Side note: (X-Zune... hahahaha, very nice).

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 05 Nov 2013 @ 8:20

65.11.2013 10:06

Mysttic, are you surprised the there is limitations on the Xbox?

75.11.2013 16:25

<---- is lmfao

86.11.2013 04:02

Reviewers Are Reporting Frame Rate Problems With 'Call Of Duty: Ghosts' On PS4 as well.

On a side note, this game is basically a rip off of the worst COD to date Modern warfare 3!!!!

96.11.2013 08:34

Originally posted by Oner:
<---- is lmfao
I've changed from xbox, just way behind imo

purchased ps3 and never looked back

1010.11.2013 18:47

Quote:
Mysttic, are you surprised the there is limitations on the Xbox?
No not surprised, if the limitations from hardware caused this lag, it's from the RAM itself not the video processing. I'd have to attempt running COD Ghost on a PC to have #s to compare properly, but I just feel with a little more effort in the coding, they could have done 1080p on Xbox. It's not fanboyish talk, I could care less in the end and I don't even like CoD as a series. Just seems like they ran out of time and choose the lazy way to meet their deadline. It's only opinion though, nothing more.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
2 user comments
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive