1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R question

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by BostonBrian, Jan 12, 2014.

1. BostonBrian

BostonBrian Member

I been burning to dvds for years and i have never came across this problem. I recently bought a new computer and it has a dvd drive and i also have an external hp lite on burner. The burning has been ridiculously slow! It has to be the discs because i tried a couple of my brothers Sony DVD+R blanks and they work perfect. I bought a 50 Pack of Verbatim 16x DVD-R and its been taking 2 hours for every burn. All the copying and converting goes extremely fast. Tried one of my brothers Sony 16x DVD+R and the burn was extremely fast (Maybe to fast) lol.. I also tried some Memorex 16x DVD-R same problem.. 2 hour burning :( Is it the DVD-R??? Brand?? any help would be great thanks.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Highly unlikely to be the dvd-r format,4gb isn't much data to burn,it's been a while since i burned movies to dvd-r it usually is the same amount of time for dvd+r say 30mins maybe 45 well under an hour anyway,when a burn goes slow it may have something to do with a setting that needs to be changed tho it doesn't explain the fast burn,however i've found the setting it's DMA ,the rest of the post mentions incd which is part of nero however i personally have never had an issue with it tho it's an unnecessary software,other option try imgburn,its in software section

http://www.eightforums.com/performa...ore-then-1-hour-super-slow-burning-dvd-r.html

edit:websearch brought up these posts below also in future use a topic heading that very briefly describes the issue,say as an example "dvd-r media takes 2hrs to burn" or "dvd-r very slow to burn" etc
    https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=d...hannel=fflb&gws_rd=cr&ei=ogfTUpH7FOapiAeRlYEo

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  3. BostonBrian

BostonBrian Member

Thanks for the help, i tried IMGBurn for a test and it burned a 4.3GB folder in 10 minutes. No idea why this program is running so smooth. Been using DVDFab & Convert X for years without a problem. Oh well guess i will be using IMGBurn its even FREE which blows my mind lol.. Thanks Alot!

4. BostonBrian

BostonBrian Member

wtf second burn i try its back to 2 hours... This is ridiculous

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

most software that is paid usually has a free equivalent,filehippo,sourceforge,portableapps.com etc

I'm at a loss to suggest whats next other than a system roll back or driver updates,needless to say i suspect it's not a software issue

6. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

Memorex has a reputation on afterdawn as the worse blanks you can possibly buy.
    Verbatim are know to be excellent.
    normally takes mine about 10- 15mins for a fullsize dvd.

I'm guessing its an issue with software and the external burner.

7. 7thguitarist

7thguitarist Newbie

If you can post a burn log that may show us what's going on with it.

8. Mez

Mez Active member

I will second the Verbatim. I don't buy anything else. I buy them on sale and don't pay much more than the garbage blanks. All brands including Sony don't last more than 5 years except for Verbatim. It could ruin your day if you store all your photos to a DVD for safekeeping than can't read it when you want to look at your old photos.

You can try ripping a music CD with EAC, dbPowerAmp or Mediamonkey. These all use Accurrip. It will do a diagnostic on your drive tune it and grade its ability to read properly. I bet if the drive is poorly alined it will neither read or write well.

9. attar

attar Senior member

If T.O.P is still around (since January) Ditto on the ImgBurn logs.
    If using DVD-R, set 'Test Mode' (no actual burning takes place), uncheck 'Verify' and post logs to compare.