AfterDawn: Tech news

You can continue to get Windows XP updates (kinda) if you are willing hack your registry

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 31 May 2014 1:39 User comments (24)

You can continue to get Windows XP updates (kinda) if you are willing hack your registry

If you are one of millions who really, really, really do not want to upgrade from the ancient Windows XP operating system, a simple registry hack will give you the ability to continue getting updates, although with significant risks.
With a quick addition to the registry, your XP system will look like it is Windows Embedded POSReady 2009, which allows for five more years of updates.

Microsoft was quick to respond, stating: "We recently became aware of a hack that purportedly aims to provide security updates to Windows XP customers. The security updates that could be installed are intended for Windows Embedded and Windows Server 2003 customers and do not fully protect Windows XP customers. Windows XP customers also run a significant risk of functionality issues with their machines if they install these updates, as they are not tested against Windows XP. The best way for Windows XP customers to protect their systems is to upgrade to a more modern operating system, like Windows 7 or Windows 8.1."

If you are still interested, create a text file and give it a .reg extension. Add the following to the document (this has not been tested by Afterdawn and is also 32-bit only):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMWPAPosReady]
"Installed"=dword:00000001

Double click the file in Windows Explorer to run it. You should then be able to run Windows Update manually to see any available updates.

Source:
ZD

Previous Next  

24 user comments

131.5.2014 20:56

"The best way for Windows XP customers to protect their systems is to upgrade to a more modern operating system, like Windows 7 or Windows 8.1."

I like how they put windows 7 in there.are they still selling it on their website??

21.6.2014 23:13

Originally posted by mightyzog:
I like how they put windows 7 in there.are they still selling it on their website??

Probably not but it's copyrighted and M$ still gets their share no matter where you buy it. ebay, newegg, pcworld etc. etc.

If you are inclined to use this Hack, just remember, that is what it is; a 'Hack' Not a 'Fix'! Cover yo ass with a backup... just saying.. lol :)

31.6.2014 23:18

No.... I have been on windows 7 for a few years now.... Just thought it was funny that they mentioned windows 7 instead of just trying to strong arm people into using windows 8.1, like they normally do.

It's as if they are taunting people to go ahead and use windows 7... If you can find it.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Jun 2014 @ 11:20

41.6.2014 23:40

They are not taunting me, I will probably hang on to Win 7 until Win 9 or 10 comes out.

But I have given up on XP. LOL

56.6.2014 08:59

I will hang onto XP till it dies, I have used later OS and it takes me hours to do what takes minutes on XP can't find anything it alls eems to be stored differently why not just stick to what works M$??? Oh no money in that when you can force/blackmail the naive sheeple into buying a newer version ...well we all can afford to do that and some of us still don't want your rubbish 7, vista or 8!

67.6.2014 02:06

Originally posted by townliar:
I will hang onto XP till it dies
It did

Quote:
I have used later OS and it takes me hours to do what takes minutes on XP
BullShit, the only reason it takes longer is that you haven't taken the little amount of time required to understand the few changes you need to learn the new system. It's not THAT different if you try.

Quote:
can't find anything it alls eems to be stored differently why not just stick to what works M$???
Would you say the same thing about a rear mounted car engine or would you take the time needed to learn how to drive a Ferrari?
Things advance with technological changes and OS's are no different. 10's of millions of people, including myself, went from XP to either Vista or W7 so we've been exactly where you are now. Only difference is that we didn't go into W7 with an attitude that we're not going to like it right away so of course you didn't like it.
The one thing that's true with all of the people that say this...you didn't really try all that hard did you and we know because we've been there.

Quote:
Oh no money in that when you can force/blackmail the naive sheeple into buying a newer version ...well we all can afford to do that and some of us still don't want your rubbish 7, vista or 8!
Of course, it's the $$$$ issue, MS just wants to steal from the sheeple.
Rubbish, MS is a business and if you've ever considered for one second what that means then you'd know why that's rubbish. Ever bought a new vehicle? Did the auto-maker give you a lifetime warranty - free fixes for life? Did you expect them too, like you're expecting MS too right now? Do you expect a company to develop something and then stick with that product forever without trying to improve or advance it? Wouldn't be in business very long would they...

So stop the crying, the evil conglomerate MS bashing (surprised you didn't say it's all Bill Gates fault) and the over-used "sheeple" bullshit, grow a pair and get learning.
You learned XP eventually right? Same diff here

BTW, W7 blows XP out of the park

77.6.2014 17:43

ill second that.

87.6.2014 18:05

Originally posted by aldan:
ill second that.
Yeah, and I'll third it.

By using Win7 I really don't consider myself a sheeple even if others do. Even so, I can't justify living under a rock and hanging on to an outdated XP to keep from being called one. LOL

@aldan, where you been? Haven't heard from you in a while...

97.6.2014 20:13

Hey guys

Thanks for chipping in!
I'm just so tired of the same lame excuses from the same MS bashers and the sheeple bit really bugs me now.
We're not the sheeple IMHO, THEY are! They've jumped fully onto the bandwagon of bashers spouting the very tired party line.

I won't go to W8 simply because it was designed with Social Media as the main focus and I have zero interest in that crap. 8.1 was an attempt to fix the poor design choices made but I'll wait for W9 to upgrade as well 2oldGeek. I love W7 (just as I did with XP) but I'm not going to hang onto it until it's been dead & buried for years either.

108.6.2014 01:53

hey 2old,still here,just working more at my new profession.im now a cook 3 days a week and bartender for 2.its something different after pulling wrenches for almost 35 years,but i really like it.you wont get rid of me that easily.lol.

118.6.2014 02:03

Have one for me...

128.6.2014 02:29

hell man ill have two.see,up here in canada our pints are 20oz.LOL

138.6.2014 03:11

hell man ill have two.see,up here in canada our pints are 20oz.LOL
Bigger and stronger too!
Wherabouts? I'm almost right in the middle

148.6.2014 04:10

im in the sunny okanagan valley b.c.middle?manitoba?

158.6.2014 04:36

im in the sunny okanagan valley b.c.middle?manitoba?
A little more west in sunny (snowy) Saskatchewan ;)
Love the Okanagan area, many friends out that way. I may retire in Kelowna if I can find the right place but it's getting pretty pricey out there.
Had an accident on Lake Okanagan way back in 74 that damn near put me in the grave @18, and I mean VERY near. Twas pure luck that saved me that day.
Memories...even the truly scary ones count.

168.6.2014 04:50

lived in saskatoon for a year in 1979.loved it out there.if you ever make it back here be sure to let me know.i live in enderby.

178.6.2014 17:10

Will do, I'll make a note to PM you. Haven't been out that way for over 15 years whereas I used to go almost every year, guess I'm past due for a visit. Maybe we can go trout fishing and have a beer or 2 ;). How's the fishing on the Shuswap River these days?
In Regina BTW (aka - Riderville)

Take care aldan

188.6.2014 23:29

Originally posted by ChappyTTV:
Will do, I'll make a note to PM you. Haven't been out that way for over 15 years whereas I used to go almost every year, guess I'm past due for a visit. Maybe we can go trout fishing and have a beer or 2 ;). How's the fishing on the Shuswap River these days?
In Regina BTW (aka - Riderville)

Take care aldan
not bad during salmon season.have a friend that knows some pretty good lakes tho.

199.6.2014 02:13

Get a room!

...And yeah, without being as strident, move over to Win7 Townliar. It's good, you won't regret it. Promise.

209.6.2014 21:52

Originally posted by Jemborg:
Get a room!
/me Shocked indignation...
Well I WAS going to invite you to come fishing with us, but now....harrumphh!
;)

Quote:
...And yeah, without being as strident, move over to Win7 Townliar. It's good, you won't regret it. Promise.
"Strident" wasn't what I was aiming for there, I was going more for the "exasperated demagogue"

219.6.2014 21:59

not bad during salmon season.have a friend that knows some pretty good lakes tho.
Cool...Jemborg can't come tho, ok?

229.6.2014 23:14

Originally posted by ChappyTTV:
Cool...Jemborg can't come tho, ok?
Awww.... I'll pay for the room. :)

239.6.2014 23:53

fight children as i hate peace & love a good rumble. went salmon fishing with my father about 38yrs ago in southampton, ontario. i didn't catch anything but my father got his rod back using my fishing rod after his got pulled into the river by the current.

2410.6.2014 01:37

then its about time you got out of ontario for a while eh?

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive