AfterDawn: Tech news

Apple iOS 8.1 will block emulator apps and vaunted 'date trick'

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 09 Oct 2014 10:27 User comments (10)

Apple iOS 8.1 will block emulator apps and vaunted 'date trick' It seems that if you are a current iOS user who likes to play classic games via game emulators, your time with those games is running short.
The new update will kill the "date trick" loophole that allowed anyone to install third-party emulators and unapproved apps by rolling back the date on the iPad or iPhone.

Reads the post from GBA4iOS, a popular Game Boy emulator app that required the date trick to operate because Apple does not allow it in the App Store:

Apple, it appears, is setting their eyes on the emulators community, starting by making the now-famous 'Date Trick' completely obsolete in an upcoming update. iOS 8.1 beta was seeded to developers yesterday and it's already causing panic among some iOS emulator aficionados. It was reported to me almost immediately by a source that the date trick wasn't helping at all in installing GBA4iOS 2.0 - that's when worry started to set in and I decided to investigate.

The 'Date Trick' fuels the emulator communities nowadays. Our website, iEmulators.com, relies on this to continue distribution and updates. Without it, everything looks bleak. Without GBA4iOS 2.0, everything seems... well, not-fun. Will iOS 8.0.2 become our perpetual purgatory so that we can continue to enjoy these things?

Unsurprisingly so, this was a long-time coming; we knew this would one day arrive. After the 'Date Trick' became famous earlier last year, our panic subsided and we learned to live a period of peace knowing that even though some of our favorite emulators' certificates were revoked by Apple, we could still install these emulators by rolling our date back - many came to believe it was something that would last. Developers like Riley Testut didn't lose any motivation knowing that their updates and hard work could still be acknowledged. Apple, it seems, had other plans.

If you are willing to jailbreak you can continue to play your classic games, but you also lose official support from Apple and timely patches, a handy thing to have when operating systems brick your entire phone (here's looking at you, iOS 8).

Source:
GBA4IOS

Previous Next  

10 user comments

19.10.2014 13:32

The evil empire strikes again...

29.10.2014 15:14

Why is it that every new "feature" by Apple is some kind of restriction?

39.10.2014 23:34

This is EXACTLY what iOS adopters were warned about, re: "walled gardens". Enjoy!

410.10.2014 19:29

Big deal!!! So we are supposed to cry crocodile tears for the 0.001 % of all iPhone users who can't circumvent Apples "walled garden". Why is this such a big deal since you guys seem to hate apple hardware and software. If android is soo much better then this shouldn't be an issue at all. If you wanna use an emulator on an idevice, don't update(stay at iOS 7) or get an old iPhone 4 which can't get the iOS 8 update, problem solved!!!

It's kinda funny how many iPhone users there are(that this is a problem at all).....Since there are so many negatives to owning an iPhone, right hearme0 and Bozobub.

510.10.2014 20:13

You shouldn't HAVE to bypass a walled garden; it simply should not exist in the 1st place. Nor do the majority of iOS users jailbreak their devices (.001% unjailbroken, my tukhus), and for that matter, jailbreaking your iDevice will not allow these emulators to run, as the article notes (you still had to use the "date trick" to do so, and that is now ineffective). You can install them, but they still will not work, period. Real cute, that. And are you suggesting a "solution" of never updating your OS - a serious security risk, for one - or using outdated hardware and wanting to be taken seriously..?! Wow. Problem NOT solved, homes. Not in the slightest.

Your response is quite telling, in that you apparently interpret any criticism of Apple hardware/software as "hate"; this is pretty much the defining trait of a "fanboi"/"fangrrl". I'll reiterate, I do not hate either and yes, there are some nice things about Apple hardware and software. But paying more for the privilege of artificial limits and draconian crap like we see here isn't an advantage, no matter how you try to spin it as such.

Oh, a hint: It's not Android users that are complaining about this change to to iOS - lol.

610.10.2014 21:03

The .001% I was referring to was the people using emulators not unjailbroken idevice users.... You misread it. I'm not about to feel sorry for people who find a need to circumvent software to run programs that are not intended to run on this hardware(yes the change date trick is a circumvention)

It's hard not to believe the criticism of Apple is "hate".... When every other comment in these forums is"I hate apple" or "crapple" or "isheep". These are not people who like anything apple( I have been reading comments from these forums for a lot longer than I have actually posted and you seem to be very level headed and very well informed. I respect most of your comments and opinions... Even if I disagree with some of them.)

712.10.2014 00:07

do you notice most people that love emulators use android no jailbreaking required and they run really smooth

812.10.2014 11:34

Mightyzog, the software IS intended to run on iOS; it's just that Apple doesn't want it to; let's be perfectly clear on that. And just because YOU don't see a need to run any given program, simply has no bearing on the large number of people who do.

I put it to you: Why is it OK for Apple to do this? It's not as if they've restricted only emulators, after all. And their attack on free software is also hard to ignore.

912.10.2014 14:58

Originally posted by megadunderhead:
do you notice most people that love emulators use android no jailbreaking required and they run really smooth
SOON TO COME: "All people who want to still play games they played years ago will use Android devices"

a point made earlier needs to be reiterated
IT AINT ANDROID USERS THAT ARE COMPLAINING

also note: Apple sales are down 9% from last year... Just saying....

also it is rumored that if you don't like the color of your brick that there are five new colors for you to choose if you need to buy another $600 brick

1012.10.2014 16:49

Originally posted by qazwiz:
Originally posted by megadunderhead:
SOON TO COME: "All people who want to still play games they played years ago will use Android devices"

a point made earlier needs to be reiterated
IT AINT ANDROID USERS THAT ARE COMPLAINING

also note: Apple sales are down 9% from last year... Just saying....

also it is rumored that if you don't like the color of your brick that there are five new colors for you to choose if you need to buy another $600 brick
low quality gold brick incrusted with blood diamonds, coming soon at a low low price of $10,000

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive