AfterDawn: Tech news

Popcorn Time 2.4 beta for Android takes experience to new level with offline playback

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 18 Nov 2014 10:30 User comments (8)

Popcorn Time 2.4 beta for Android takes experience to new level with offline playback

The Popcorn Time team has announced a new killer feature for the software: Offline viewing.
With the new 2.4 beta for Android, smartphone and tablet users can watch TV and movies even when they are not connected to the Internet.

In addition, the new update comes with some major upgrades for other recently announced features. The full change log here:

What else does this version have in store for you?

- You can watch stuff offline.
- We fixed bugs from crash reports you sent us (thanks!)
- We added support for physical keyboard
- We made some major improvements (torrents, vlc, Chromecast, updater and other)
- We added subtitle font color chooser in settings
- We added dimensions for normal, large and x-large screen sizes.

You can get the update here directly from Popcorn Time, as the app is not available through the Google Play Store.

Previous Next  

8 user comments

119.11.2014 17:43

STAY AWAY FROM THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

As a network engineer, my sh*t is locked down and I'm vigilant about staying under the scope.

I had Popcorn Time for the PC and my wife just streamed 1 single crappy episode of "Selfie" which was cancelled recently that she fell asleep through, only to receive an email from ATT indicating my IP was used to grab that particular show not even 2 days later.

PopcornTime accesses the torrents BUT using Peerblock seriously debilitates the program....unlike a simple downloading of the Torrents via a client like Utorrent. I guarantee that Verizon, ATT, Sprint, Tmobile will hound your ass for using this program.

Don't get me wrong.....BEST PROGRAM OF THE YEAR. Except you'll get busted.

I removed PT and deleted and NEVER looking back. It's a torrent that runs outta control and unchecked.

219.11.2014 20:15

I've been keeping a close eye on this program and I've not heard such reports. Yours is the first. As a matter of fact I'm a bit surprised it seems to be so "under the radar".

I'd be interested in anyone else's experience.

320.11.2014 07:57

Use a VPN

420.11.2014 15:35

Originally posted by sikosrus:
Use a VPN
Really????

A "newbie" telling me to use a VPN.

First off 'newb', VPN is a charge. Maintaining a secure and speedy while unfettered VPN is a price. Second, Why would ANYONE (other than nefarious and brutal leeching infringers and rampant pirates) want to VPN every time they use a program? However, assuming you are suggesting to VPN all the time.....I would ask you WHY? It's totally unnecessary!

There is NO PRACTICAL means to employ safety measures to avoid detection.

Mind you......I was busted for PT'ing a CANCELLED CRAPPY TELEVISION SHOW!!!

I suggest couchtuner or classic torrenting with a client and using Peerblock.

The email:

Copyright Infringement Alert
For Account Ending: XXXX
Primary Account Holder: Valued Customer
Dear Valued Customer (Primary Account Holder),

We are sending you this alert as part of our participation in the Copyright Alert Program — an industry-wide initiative intended to help users understand their rights and responsibilities in the distribution of copyrighted content online.

Digital content owners routinely monitor file-sharing networks to determine if copyrighted movies and music are being distributed illegally over the Internet. Through the Copyright Alert System, we've recently received a notice from a movie studio, record company, television studio or other company that owns copyrighted material that your AT&T Internet account was used in connection with possible infringement of their copyright protected materials.

Your account was identified by its IP address. However, in keeping with the AT&T Privacy Policy, we have not released your name or personal information, and we will not do so except as required by a lawful request for records. But at the request of the content owner, we are sending this alert — which applies to all users of your account — so that the issue may be resolved without further action.

A copy of the original notice can be found at att.com/copyright-infringement, but summary information is available at the end of this email.

What is Copyright Infringement?

Copyright protection gives creators of original intellectual property (such as music, movies, videos, books, artwork, and images) the exclusive right to that work — including control over reproduction, distribution, adaptation, performance, or financial benefit. If you or any other user(s) of your account copy, reproduce, adapt, or distribute copyrighted material without authorization, you are infringing those rights.

Using your Internet service to infringe copyrights is illegal and a violation of the AT&T Internet Terms of Service (TOS) and Acceptable Use Policy (AUP), which apply to all users of your account, and could result in mitigation measures including limitation of Internet access or even suspension or termination.*

How Does this Affect Me?

Through the Copyright Alert Program, users are given an opportunity to understand and change behavior that may be resulting in Copyright Alerts. However, if they receive multiple Copyright Alerts, they may encounter corrective action — or mitigation measures — which may limit or inhibit Internet access.

No action will be taken at this point and we'll let you know when mitigation measures are pending, should any be necessary. At that point, if you wish, you may request an Independent Review which provides an opportunity to challenge this or any other Copyright Alert before any mitigation measure is implemented. (Be sure to preserve any records or information that could be used to show that the activity was non-infringing.)

Other Helpful Information

It is possible that the infringement notice is the result of activity through a peer-to-peer (P2P) program that may be on your computer. These programs can pose issues, so it is important for you to understand what they are and the risks of using them.

You can find information on P2P programs and how to remove them, through the Center for Copyright Information at www.copyrightinformation.org

There are many ways to legally enjoy protected television programs, movies, and music. You can find information on these methods at www.copyrightinformation.org/a-better-way-to-find-movies-tv-music/

What Do I Need to Do?
• Please visit att.com/copyright-infringement to learn more about copyrights, our policies, and the Copyright Alert System.
• Visit the Center for Copyright Information website at copyrightinformation.org for additional information on the industry-wide Copyright Alert Program, as well as information on Peer-to-Peer programs, and more.
• Check to make sure that the activity of all users of your account is in compliance with copyright laws, the AT&T Internet Terms of Service, and Acceptable Use Policy.

Taking the above action should help you to resolve the issue.

Sincerely,
Your AT&T Internet Service Customer Care Team
*Pursuant to Section 512 of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, AT&T's policy is to terminate services to repeat infringers under appropriate circumstances.

Important Note: This email contains links to various websites. You may copy and paste the URL(s) into your browser rather than clicking directly on the link.

Notice ID: 22297947032
Content Owner: MPAA Search and Notify
NA
(+1) 818-935-5860
ATT_Notices@mpaa.org

Content Title: SELFIE (2014)
File Name: Selfie.S01E01.HDTV.x264-KILLERS.mp4
IP Address: 99.x.x.x
Port: 54321
File Type: P2P
Timestamp: 2014-11-09T01:16:46Z

Update your email address
Protect yourself from fraudulent emails Contact Us

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE
All replies are automatically deleted. For questions regarding this message, refer to the contact information listed above.
©2014 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. AT&T, the AT&T logo and all other AT&T marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies. All other marks contained herein are the property of their respective owners.
Privacy Policy

CPRA_X023EH
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 20 Nov 2014 @ 3:39

520.11.2014 17:09

Hearme, quit being such a dickhead to everyone. Talking down to new members isn't exactly conducive to the growing of this website.
Sikorus, I apologize for the hostility of this member. Not every member here is like this.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 20 Nov 2014 @ 5:10

620.11.2014 18:39

Actually, it is my understanding that Popcorn Time employs a VPN, built into the program. Or has that been removed?

721.11.2014 13:01

Why not VPN ? I use VPN quite frequently especially to visit sites censored / blocked by my government or listen to some free streaming music not available in my country or watch some BBC news video clips by choosing UK server. At $ 20/- pre year for unlimited full speed service I have no problems.

821.11.2014 15:17

Hehehe...I had popcorn time on without VPN for one day and got that letter too. I have a VPN just as fast as my connection without it and think I paid $35'ish for a year. So yeah I put all my traffic through it without issue. I actually see no reason not to use it 24/7. Oh and I wouldn't rely on peerguardian for anything. Oh and the built in VPN in popcorntime? Well, It's pretty important that the VPN actually works and kepps the beast off my back. Also no more of those targeted ads for the hot housewife living just down the road wanting to meet me either.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive