AfterDawn: Tech news

Popcorn Time: Windows and Mac versions get minor updates as iOS gets a major promise

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 23 Dec 2014 12:32 User comments (3)

Popcorn Time: Windows and Mac versions get minor updates as iOS gets a major promise

The team behind Popcorn Time has made a few changes to their Mac and Windows versions of the software and made a strong promise for the upcoming iOS update.
First, the Windows version has been updated to beta 5.1:

After learning about how awesome beta 5.0 is, but also what's not working so well in it, we worked hard on solving the issues and we believe we managed to fix many bugs that were bugging you guys!! First of all, Chromecast should work well again for those who experienced issues with it recently... So go a head and enjoy a good movie on your TV screen again, no problemo!

Other than that we fixed many player issues, the cache folder bug and we increased download speed, enabled support of a bigger variety of torrents and in general we improved the watching experience, so go and watch something and tell us how it feels!!

The Mac beta has been updated to version 4.9.1:

First of all to the burning question you all are probably asking: Why isn't Mac on beta 5.X yet?
Well, with all that's been going on recently, we had to invest a lot of time making sure that Popcorn Time will not be shut down, and that time took a bite from the time we had for development.

Also we had some hard time getting Chromium to work with QT (our webUI engine) on Mac – but QT 5.4 was just released 10 days ago with a Chromium-Based Browser Engine, so if everything goes smoothly and we won't have to invest all our time in keeping Popcorn Time alive, we are expecting to release Popcorn Time 5.1 for Mac in less then 2 weeks.

Most notably from the releases was the promise that iOS beta 1.2 will be made available within 3 weeks with free built-in VPN, Chromecast and Airplay support and a plethora of bug fixes.

Check the changelogs here.

Previous Next  

3 user comments

125.12.2014 13:33

DEATH to this program. Free movies my ass. Any kind of free flow of illicit content to this degree is ALWAYS too good to be true........as is the case here.

Network engineer here, been there and done this program several times since inception.

Two (2) deal killers here and reasons why anyone keeping this program on their computer and/or using it is an absolute GOOF with no regard for your own privacy or safety surfing the web.

This program works using the K-lite codec pack which it installs w/o notice. There are two (2) viruses in this. Trojans.

This program is a constant stream from/to the torrents and is being watched. Received DMCA notice from ATT Uverse in Chicagoland for watching the crappy "Selfie" show which was cancelled anyway. Who woulda thunk?

Peerblock has been a life saver to me for torrenting and unfortunately it cripples this program's ability to effectively upload/download.

And "VPNing" your internet connection is not only ridiculous, but it's a pain in the ass, unnecessary, costly, neurotic and foolish to engage for one program.

Popcorn Time is dead!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Dec 2014 @ 1:34

227.12.2014 23:18

Originally posted by hearme0:
"DEATH to this program"....

"Popcorn Time is dead!"

REPLY: Someone got a lump of coal in his Christmas stocking!

330.12.2014 21:34

Don't hold back hearme0 my friend...tell us how you REALLY feel about this garbage....errr program.
hahaha

I was actually thinking of testing it out, but after that interesting tirade I think I'll let it slide, thanx bud!
Also, I do not like K-Lite, I have Shark007's pack. He's a good friend and I've never had an issue with anything in the 7+ years of using his pack, although there was an issue with his advert guys slapping unwanted shite into his pack without his knowledge, but he fixed that as soon as he heard about it.
Gotta get paid for his work somehow but he also clearly states how to install without any of the extra stuff so he does care about his users.

BTW, Happy New Year my friend and this also goes out to all here at AD!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Dec 2014 @ 9:35

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive