AfterDawn: Tech news

Second-gen models of PS4, Xbox One will support 4K resolution, says Netflix

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 09 Feb 2015 1:57 User comments (21)

Second-gen models of PS4, Xbox One will support 4K resolution, says Netflix

As they have done in previous generations, Microsoft and Sony are very likely to be designing second-generation models of their Xbox One and PS4 consoles, ones that will be likely slimmer and potentially cheaper.
One feature that we can definitely expect, at least according to Netflix, is 4K resolution support.

Netflix CPO Neil Hunt says that Sony has "promised" 4K support for the upcoming hardware revision and Forbes independently confirmed the Xbox One.

Says Forbes' John Archer, speaking of an elaboration on Hunt's blurb: "Namely that he believes that when both the PS4 and Xbox One consoles do their traditional two-year hardware refresh (which would be due around October or November) they will add the necessary components to deliver 4K video playback."

If accurate, the consoles would most likely have to see some particular hardware and software revisions. HDMI 1.4 ports would likely have to be upgraded to 2.0 (which allows for 4K at 60fps) and HDCP 2.2 protection would have to be included as well.

Previous Next  

21 user comments

19.2.2015 18:03

Weren't these consoles supposed to support that in the first gen? I mean they brag about how many processor cores it has and how many gigabytes of ram it has and they do not deliver on the promises that they made before they were launched. They cannot do 4K video streaming, they can barely get any games to run 1080p/60fps like they said games would run and now barely a year into the life of these consoles they are already talking second gen with more power and features as a possibility.

Glad I skipped these alleged NextGen consoles from Microsoft as it just makes my PC/Wii U gaming set up that more appealing when I hear stuff like this. My modest gaming PC may have cost me $700 but it is well worth it for the features and flexibility it has. I can play a library of games past, present, and future without worrying about performance or compatibility. Not to mention the games are often cheaper or get reduced in price much quicker so that makes up for the price difference and the fact in a couple years I may want to upgrade the Video card or the whole system which I can do without worrying too much if my games will still work.

29.2.2015 19:13

I am in the same boat (Wii U and PC; and 360 and PS2). I would be so mad if I bought a first generation console of one of these. While none of my monitors support HDMI 2.0 yet, I would be planning to get one eventually for this feature.

Everyone who bought a first generation should be demanding a refund.

39.2.2015 19:19

Originally posted by audvare:
I am in the same boat (Wii U and PC; and 360 and PS2). I would be so mad if I bought a first generation console of one of these. While none of my monitors support HDMI 2.0 yet, I would be planning to get one eventually for this feature.

Everyone who bought a first generation should be demanding a refund.
I still have my 360 but rarely play it as no new games are really coming out that I want that I cannot just get on PC anyway. If I do use the console it is mainly to stream the WWE App which I could do on my gaming PC too but the XBOX is easier.

Maybe if the XBOX Two and PS5 still use x86 and are backwards compatible I will consider one of those because as of right now I see no killer exclusive that makes me want to buy one of those consoles.

49.2.2015 19:32

Correct me if I'm wrong, but current XB-1 can barely run games at 1080P...I assume a graphics upgrade is in the cards?

510.2.2015 08:20

Actually 4k is possible down hdmi 1.4, all be it at 8 and not 10 bits, and any TV with a built in decoder can take the signal directly. All sony need to do is spend some time actually letting the console do what it is capable of.

Netflix dont actually need Sony to do anything other than tweak outputs through said ports (some manufacturers of projectors are already doing this), plus anyone with a decent 4ktv has access to free netflix at 4k via the apps on the TV - all be it slower than the PS4 for access and not as user freindly.

Both XB1 and PS4 are more than able to transmit and process at 60fps in full 1080p, the issue is with the porting by developers from the PC versions (I am generalising), but now that the architectures of the three (PC, XBONE and PS4) are similar if not identical, this is much easier than it used to be.

XBONE has slightly different issues to though, given the choice of slower graphics card and older memory, though it is still more than capable of producing current gen games at 1080p if they let it.

I understand the moaning about 30fps v 60fps, but I challenge anyone with a decent tv to play a regular game side by side (one set at 60fps and the other at 30-45fps) and challenge them to tell the difference - I am not challenging the PC fan boys here, just illustrating that the vast majority would not know or care. I care by the way, I am just trying to explain lol.

In any event, the claim that Sony would need new hardware is a phallacy, all they really need to do is start allowing the machine to transmit at 4k - admittedly gaming at 4k is an entirely different kettle of fish and something (apparently) neighter console would be capable of at 30fps, never mind 60 ;-)

610.2.2015 08:34

So..... 4X at what 10FPS?

711.2.2015 00:43

Originally posted by DarthMopar:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but current XB-1 can barely run games at 1080P...I assume a graphics upgrade is in the cards?
I doubt it. We're talking about movies here, not games.

811.2.2015 08:56

So this is going to appeal to about the 1% of people who a) didn't buy the 1st gen PS4 or Xbox One and b)already have a 4K capable tv. Maybe I will care about this in 5 years.

911.2.2015 09:04

Quote:
Says Forbes' John Archer, speaking of an elaboration on Hunt's blurb: "Namely that he believes that when both the PS4 and Xbox One consoles do their traditional two-year hardware refresh (which would be due around October or November) they will add the necessary components to deliver 4K video playback."

"... to deliver 4k video playback."

Sounds more like he's referring to 4k passthrough and not referring to the consoles actually being able to game at 4k resolutions.

1012.2.2015 03:40

Except for one issue in all of this.

1. The xbox one will no way in heck be able to keep running at 4k without turning off more features

2. The ps4 all ready does 4k Do you wonder why your 4k display says DVI when you turn on the console it's because it's not displaying in HDMI Standard But HDMI with 4k support.

But honesty is the best policy and forcing customers into a redesigned model in less then a year would be bad business.

And i would love to see nintendo give them all the finger and release a redesigned wii u with a built in hard drive bay for a full sized hard drive giving microsoft and sony a black eye because there console is limited on hard drive size and compatibility.

1112.2.2015 14:32

Originally posted by megadunderhead:
i would love to see nintendo give them all the finger and release a redesigned wii u with a built in hard drive bay for a full sized hard drive giving microsoft and sony a black eye because there console is limited on hard drive size and compatibility.
Why? only Microshaft is affected by the non upgradable HDD because $$$, and PS4 can go all the way to 2TB if your using more than that you have severe case of wontbuydiscentitis and relying overmuch on a digital goods service is a terrible idea.

1213.2.2015 08:16

Originally posted by DXR88:
only Microshaft is affected by the non upgradable HDD because $$$, and PS4 can go all the way to 2TB if your using more than that you have severe case of wontbuydiscentitis and relying overmuch on a digital goods service is a terrible idea.
...but you're not giving the whole story.

XB1 allows the use of any (no 2tb limit) external HDD and allows this unlike the PS4 (or the earlier XB360 with it's 32gb limit on up to 2 external storage devices) for backing up games & game data.

Correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand it PS4 does not allow complete & playable game storage in the same way.

With this the 500gb internal storage limit (or the increased 1tb on selected models - which is likely, just as happened on the 360, to come for all XB1's) is hardly relevant and for many a better facility than just being able to increase the internal storage to 2tb.

If 4k takes off widely enough during this gen of consoles then that 2tb limit is quickly going to become a real PITA, what with good quality 4k files sizes being what they are etc.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 Feb 2015 @ 3:54

1313.2.2015 11:29

the ps4 needs a 4 tb hard drive or better grand theft auto is 60 gigs alone

1413.2.2015 23:16

Originally posted by megadunderhead:
the ps4 needs a 4 tb hard drive or better grand theft auto is 60 gigs alone
Give it a year or two and you'll see 4TB 2.5 drives. Until then, use PSN conservatively.

1513.2.2015 23:22

Originally posted by Interestx:
only Microshaft is affected by the non upgradable HDD because $$$, and PS4 can go all the way to 2TB if your using more than that you have severe case of wontbuydiscentitis and relying overmuch on a digital goods service is a terrible idea.
...but you're not giving the whole story.

XB1 allows the use of any (no 2tb limit) external HDD and allows this unlike the PS4 (or the earlier XB360 with it's 32gb limit on up to 2 external storage devices) for backing up games & game data.

Correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand it PS4 does not allow complete & playable game storage in the same way.

With this the 500gb internal storage limit (or the increased 1tb on selected models - which is likely, just as happened on the 360, to come for all XB1's) is hardly relevant and for many a better facility than just being able to increase the internal storage to 2tb.

If 4k takes off widely enough during this gen of consoles then that 2tb limit is quickly going to become a real PITA, what with good quality 4k files sizes being what they are etc.
the last time i checked, the XB1 didn't allow anything but saves music and video on external devices. the same as the PS4's rules regarding external devices.

1613.2.2015 23:44

the last time i checked, the XB1 didn't allow anything but saves music and video on external devices. the same as the PS4's rules regarding external devices.
Check again, lol.

"When you connect a compatible external storage drive, Xbox One will walk you through setting it up to store games and apps."

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/...89b70895148819f
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 Feb 2015 @ 11:45

1714.2.2015 09:27

Nope.

That was how it was with the XB360 to begin with but that was later adjusted to allow up to 32gb for games & game saves.
It was very handy being able to use any sized hard drive for movies, music & pics
(with the HFS+ formatting removing the Fat32 4gb files size restriction, very useful with HD movies).

XB1 comes with no restriction and allows any hard drive connected to be used entirely for game back-up & game saves.

In my opinion this is a much more preferable set-up to how things are with PS4 currently.

1814.2.2015 11:02

Originally posted by Interestx:

Nope.

That was how it was with the XB360 to begin with but that was later adjusted to allow up to 32gb for games & game saves.
It was very handy being able to use any sized hard drive for movies, music & pics
(with the HFS+ formatting removing the Fat32 4gb files size restriction, very useful with HD movies).

XB1 comes with no restriction and allows any hard drive connected to be used entirely for game back-up & game saves.

In my opinion this is a much more preferable set-up to how things are with PS4 currently.

Any hard drive above 250GB.... else its media only.....

1914.2.2015 19:51

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:

Any hard drive above 250GB.... else its media only.....
People still use 250gb hard drives? lol

2017.2.2015 08:55

Ha,ha. I was a sucker to buy a first gen xbone and ps4 with the expectation these consoles would providing firmware upgrades to support 4K HD. Do I really need it? No. With all the capping that ISP providers are doing now, it just would not be worth it.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 17 Feb 2015 @ 9:04

2122.2.2015 15:41

Originally posted by snoop5023:
Ha,ha. I was a sucker to buy a first gen xbone and ps4 with the expectation these consoles would providing firmware upgrades to support 4K HD. Do I really need it? No. With all the capping that ISP providers are doing now, it just would not be worth it.
there is no reason the first gen Xbone and PS4 cant do 4k resolution with a simple firmware/OS upgrade.

the only difference in generational leap of the same platform is that the newer generations are a cost cutting measure. for example there are less screws, the power supply housing is plastic instead of metal and there are more cutouts in the housing.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive