AfterDawn: Tech news

Mozilla Firefox 36 is here

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 24 Feb 2015 10:29 User comments (10)

Mozilla Firefox 36 is here

Mozilla has released Firefox 36 to the public today, giving fans of the browser a stable version while the beta moves to 37 and the nightly alphas move to 39.
On the surface, the update is minor but there are some tweaks under the surface that users should certainly appreciate.

Firefox 36 adds full HTTP/2 support, a newly released update to the HTTP protocol which should lead to faster browsing, reduced bandwidth usage and better security for connections.

Additionally, the update includes Partial Media Source Extensions (MSE) support, allowing for better support of native HTML5 playback on YouTube, but only for videos at 720p or under.

Finally, Firefox 36 adds 'Flash Protected Mode' which runs Flash as a 'low integrity process.' Basically, if you're terrified of having Flash run but have to have it installed, the protected mode should work wonders.

The rest of the list (via ghacks):
•Pinned tiles on the new tab page are included in Firefox Sync.
•The -remote startup parameter has been removed from Firefox. It was used to execute commands in an already running instance of the browser (e.g. open a new url)
•Uzbek locale added.
•Insecure RC4 ciphers are no longer accepted if possible
•1024-bit RSA keys are phased out.
•The Crash Reporter is displayed when the shut down hangs.
•Connect Developer Tools and Firefox for Android using WebIDE
•JavaScript code that is evaluated dynamically can be debugged now
•Promise rich output in the web console
•Additional paste options in markup view
•Support for meta name="referrer" added
•EMCAScript 6 Symbol data type enabled by default
•Improved ES6 generators

Follow 2 million others here and download Firefox on AfterDawn.

Previous Next  

10 user comments

124.2.2015 22:44

Does anyone really care anymore?

225.2.2015 02:10

Originally posted by biglo30:
I do.

325.2.2015 11:25

Originally posted by nonoitall:
Originally posted by biglo30:
I do.
lol ok its good to see some supporters are still around. No offense but it seems to have really fallen off. I haven't used it in years and it use to be my favorite browser. Maybe I should download it again and see if I've been missing anything.

425.2.2015 18:10

Been using waterfox for a year or so now, tho both ff & wf use a stack of memory regardless using plugins or not

526.2.2015 22:33

I like the current firefox but for me it takes a lot of tweaking from it's default install to make it nice and user friendly. To me, it's worth the time though, because I don't like any other browser as well.

626.2.2015 23:29

Originally posted by Askar:
I like the current firefox but for me it takes a lot of tweaking from it's default install to make it nice and user friendly. To me, it's worth the time though, because I don't like any other browser as well.
You maybe interested in MozBackup (no install required)it basiclly makes a backup to re-deploy when & if required

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mozbackup/

Description:
MozBackup is a utility for creating backups of Firefox, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey and some others applications. It allows you to backup and restore bookmarks, mail, contacts, history, extensions, cache etc

727.2.2015 14:15

With all of the high incremental numbers of Firefox version, I plan to wait for Firefox version 126... which will be release August 2015 of this year.

827.2.2015 18:11

Originally posted by g_slide:
With all of the high incremental numbers of Firefox version, I plan to wait for Firefox version 126... which will be release August 2015 of this year.

Considering they release new versions approximately every six weeks, version 126 actually won't be due for another ten and a half years or so...

August of this year should see Firefox 40.

92.3.2015 23:45

Originally posted by nonoitall:
Considering they release new versions approximately every six weeks, version 126 actually won't be due for another ten and a half years or so...

August of this year should see Firefox 40.
To the stasis pods!!

1013.3.2015 23:21

I don't rush to update and are still using version 28 with no problems and have the layout I want not the layout Firefox want me to have

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
2 user comments
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive