AfterDawn: Tech news

Microsoft wants to kill off the Internet Explorer brand

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 18 Mar 2015 10:52 User comments (15)

Microsoft has confirmed that its upcoming browser, codenamed Project Spartan, will not keep the Internet Explorer name used for the last 20 years.
Marketing head Chris Capossela says the company is working on a new brand and name for the browser, and is actively testing with focus groups. "We're now researching what the new brand, or the new name, for our browser should be in Windows 10," said Capossela. "We'll continue to have Internet Explorer, but we'll also have a new browser called Project Spartan, which is codenamed Project Spartan. We have to name the thing."

Internet Explorer will not be completely dead, as it will remain around for enterprise compatibility, but Project Spartan is the future. The new browser will also likely use Microsoft in the title, as just having the name Microsoft has shown to increase appeal, added Capossela.

While the name may not be 'appealing,' Internet Explorer still controls over 40 percent of global market share.

Source:
Verge

Previous Next  

15 user comments

118.3.2015 17:39

Quote:
I thought Chrome and Mozilla already did that for them?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 18 Mar 2015 @ 11:24

218.3.2015 20:05

Originally posted by DarthMopar:
Quote:
I though Chrome and Mozilla already did that for them?

I got nothing LOL

319.3.2015 00:17

Originally posted by DarthMopar:
Quote:
I thought Chrome and Mozilla already did that for them?
LOL... you own the internet today.
This thread is now officially Closed! lol XD

419.3.2015 06:52

Opera all the way. Firefox is not bad. Chrome is bad. IE a complete pain. Be interesting to see how Spartan compares to Opera.

519.3.2015 11:25

Originally posted by magictown:
Opera all the way. Firefox is not bad. Chrome is bad. IE a complete pain. Be interesting to see how Spartan compares to Opera.
Vivaldi all the way!

619.3.2015 11:44

"as just having the name Microsoft has shown to increase appeal,"

Bwahahaha!!!!!!!

719.3.2015 11:46

WOW, even in defeat, Microsoft acts like they wrote Internet Explorer.

Well, here is a surprise,. like most of their products, (except strangely Excel), Internet Explorer began as reworked version of version of Air Mosaic from University of Illinois UCIC Champaign Illinois called "Spyglass Mosaic". Bill Gates thought the Internet was "a fad" up until 1994-1995, so the Company didn't really put a toe in the water officially. When Netscape was treading on what Microsoft considered their territory, IE was bought. Later when they needed a server they went with European Microsoft Windows NT Academic Centre (EMWAC),who created the first Microsoft server, and later quickly finding its limitations rushed in IIS 1.0 for FREE.

Both of these steps (free IE and Free IIS) were deliberately to thwart competition from Netscape (resulting in a Justice Department lawsuit and the failure of Netscape).

The new Browser? who knows, likely to be as bug infested and clunky as its predecessor (unless they bought it)! HAH

I said in 1995 that the winner of the "browser wars" would be neither Microsoft or Netscape, and be built by a company not invented yet......tada MOZILLA and Google.

Here we are 20 years later as Microsoft seeks to "find itself" once again after squandering a once huge lead in everything to relegation to a "VM provider for other peoples BETTER OSes.

Irony is a great teacher isn't it?

Microsoft cost us 20 years of computing greatness with IBM OS2
and real innovation.

Time to turn and burn! HAH

819.3.2015 12:14

No, I think everyone is aware of the history of IE and the Netscape debacle. MS bought a browser to jump onto the bandwagon.. nothing wrong with that, they all do it these days don't they? You could say that they were a pioneer in that respect:)
Now they are building something from the ground up. From first reports say it may well be great browser, sure to be different from IE and I don't blame them from distancing themselves from it considering how often it was attacked. - I feel it will do very well after a shaky start due to all of the naysayers.

919.3.2015 16:10

Originally posted by magictown:
No, I think everyone is aware of the history of IE and the Netscape debacle. MS bought a browser to jump onto the bandwagon.. nothing wrong with that, they all do it these days don't they? You could say that they were a pioneer in that respect:)
Now they are building something from the ground up. From first reports say it may well be great browser, sure to be different from IE and I don't blame them from distancing themselves from it considering how often it was attacked. - I feel it will do very well after a shaky start due to all of the naysayers.
Microsoft and the words "do well" aren't often used together much at all.

For example, consider the collective loss of productivity experienced by all windows users on "patch Tuesday".

The man hours alone would tend to be mind boggling. This is a statistic (lack of productivity" that I have never seen quantified. also the collective load on the internet of patch after patch of shoddily written code and the boilerplate fixes applies.

I an not a Microsoft "hater" I used to be a huge proponent of Microsoft and in fact "promoteD" microsoft OSes and Applications through corporate America and abroad.

The trouble is a company that once strived to be "not like IBM" has turned into an ever larger parody of even IBM at its worst.

Blundering down a path of failures and eventual insignificance.

1019.3.2015 20:55

Microsoft, clinging to "greatness" where it had none,
even in their greatest blunders.
As in, this poor lost Microsoftee shown below... lol XD

...way. below. lmao XD

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 Mar 2015 @ 8:56

1119.3.2015 22:55

Quote:
Internet Explorer is ubiquitous. It has installed automatically with Windows, and many (perhaps most) Windows users do not think of it as a separate product; just as a part of Windows.
A significant number of Windows users will not change browsers if they do not have to because they will opt for integrated simplicity rather than something new and (for them) unfamiliar.
Unless Microsoft forces this change on its customers, many will stick with IE.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 20 Mar 2015 @ 2:42

1220.3.2015 07:01

I've used IE (& the rest at times) from IE6 through to the current 11.
Rarely had an issue or problem.

Sorry but that's the truth of my experience - &, I suspect, many many millions of others.

I'm not saying it's a perfect browser but it is, by far, the most used (& therefore the most attacked) & in an environment where competitors are out there (& an easy choice here in Europe with the new EU rules) it can hardly just be sheer coincidence.

1323.3.2015 15:18

i find i.e to be slow and not user friendly, as well as its always being attacked.

i had issues with chrome main issue was profile was corrupt and it was complicated to reset profile & was going corrupt for no reason

fire fox seems to be the best for me, user friendly, reliable & works.

be interesting to see if spartan brings anything new/different.

1424.3.2015 15:03

Still waiting for a .Gif that has Spartans fighting Persians with e logo plastered on there heads.

sadly that's the first thing to came to mind when i read the news post.

1524.3.2015 15:13

Originally posted by Interestx:
I've used IE (& the rest at times) from IE6 through to the current 11.
Rarely had an issue or problem.

Sorry but that's the truth of my experience - &, I suspect, many many millions of others.

I'm not saying it's a perfect browser but it is, by far, the most used (& therefore the most attacked) & in an environment where competitors are out there (& an easy choice here in Europe with the new EU rules) it can hardly just be sheer coincidence.
it doesn't help that IE uses dependencies from Windows Explorer, it also doesn't help that Microsoft hasn't grasped the concept of Sandboxing(although there not the only ones) Browsers that can be run in there own Virtual Environment should be a thing already.

if the best security comes from not connecting your PC to a network, Isolating the browser from the localhost by running the browser in its own VM is the next logical step.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive