AfterDawn: Tech news

Click here to play Super Mario 64 in HD

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 29 Mar 2015 2:14 User comments (12)

Click here to play Super Mario 64 in HD

Nearly 20 years after its console release, Super Mario 64 is back.
Roystan Ross developed a desktop version of the game (well, the first level so far at least), which can be played for Windows, Mac and Linux, and there is a demo of the playback after the jump. The game has been remastered with more modern HD graphics and includes gamepad support including DS3, 4 and Xbox One and 360 controllers.

The developer has put a lot more technical know-how in his blog post, which can be found here.

At the same link, you can download the files, since the browser version does not seem to be working at the moment.

Previous Next  

12 user comments

130.3.2015 00:42

I was never that much of a fan they messed up the power ups, the level design was good enough for the time but ...meh.. Playing through sunshine again since I am no longer a south paw the controls are still stupid there's little to no options to change crap around. Its quite annoying but kinda fun like galaxy...even if has the power ups I hat the planets...

Oh and here comes a C&D in 3...2.....

230.3.2015 12:01

I'm with you Zippy. I was never much a fan of this game and thought the controls were a bit frustrating at the time.

That sad, the newer Wii U Mario 3-D World is incredible.

330.3.2015 16:14

Originally posted by SProdigy:
I'm with you Zippy. I was never much a fan of this game and thought the controls were a bit frustrating at the time.

I still think its more cumbersome than it needs to be but I have only seen a lot of video to think the camera is wishy washy and the level design is rather boxy..

I need to finish galaxy 1-2 >< after I finish sunshine! LOL

What did you think of the N64 zeldas? I thought they were kay but not better than A link to the past and Links Awaking....

430.3.2015 17:06

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:

I still think its more cumbersome than it needs to be but I have only seen a lot of video to think the camera is wishy washy and the level design is rather boxy..

What did you think of the N64 zeldas? I thought they were kay but not better than A link to the past and Links Awaking....
Actually, 3-D World's camera doesn't go bat crap crazy at all. Videos don't do it justice. It plays just like a 2-D platformer but in a 3-D world. Hard to explain unless you've tried it, but if you're a Mario fan, go for it (ironically, I just picked up 3-D Land for 3DS because it was on sale today.)

As for the N64 Zeldas, they were OK. I really only played Ocarina and that was the Gamecube port back in the day.

Link To the Past is IMO the best one made, and it's sequel on 3DS is on equal footing and a great game in it's own right. (Awakening was Gameboy, no? Wow I feel old, but yes I had that one too!)

530.3.2015 17:44

Actually, 3-D World's camera doesn't go bat crap crazy at all. Videos don't do it justice. It plays just like a 2-D platformer but in a 3-D world. Hard to explain unless you've tried it, but if you're a Mario fan, go for it (ironically, I just picked up 3-D Land for 3DS because it was on sale today.)

As for the N64 Zeldas, they were OK. I really only played Ocarina and that was the Gamecube port back in the day.

Link To the Past is IMO the best one made, and it's sequel on 3DS is on equal footing and a great game in it's own right. (Awakening was Gameboy, no? Wow I feel old, but yes I had that one too!)
Yup ^^ first top down game where link could jump with a tool, it was awesome.

I am somewhat pissed at the GC it made me an ultra southpaw for what feels like decades, I have finally gotten use to aiming with the right thumb and even inverted my inversion its odd man for years I used inverted up/down schemes now I can hardly use it 0-o.

630.3.2015 17:48

I am somewhat pissed at the GC it made me an ultra southpaw for what feels like decades, I have finally gotten use to aiming with the right thumb and even inverted my inversion its odd man for years I used inverted up/down schemes now I can hardly use it 0-o.
I hate invert! Stupid Macs ship their OS using the mouse scroll that way too. Yes, for EVERYTHING, not just games! They call it "natural scrolling." Nah, if I swipe up, I want to go UP, not down! :-)

730.3.2015 17:53

I hate invert! Stupid Macs ship their OS using the mouse scroll that way too. Yes, for EVERYTHING, not just games! They call it "natural scrolling." Nah, if I swipe up, I want to go UP, not down! :-)

I'd still be a southpaw if games supported customized controls but devs(Nintendo especially) HATE giving you menu options ><.

831.3.2015 01:25

Smell that....smells like a cease and desist.

931.3.2015 01:40

This is some kind of proof of concept thing isn't it, it's done in Unity.

1031.3.2015 13:58

It's still downloadable for pc etc at least for now apparently,the guy that did that other mario browser base game released the source code compile when he was shutdown,it's literally a portable version that can be played,with map editor & start at any stage sadly my keyboard skills aren't up to scratch & never likely to be..lol..

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2904003/...on-the-web.html

111.4.2015 08:32

There was never any intention of bringing in other stages or functionality, so there's really no point to bother downloading. I played the live stream of it before it got taken down: honestly I can't see why Nintendo would bother. It was okay for what it is, but since he clearly stated he had no intention of finishing it; then unless you are into using Unity, then for the average Joe, it's not worth wasting time over.

121.4.2015 09:40

Originally posted by scorpNZ:
the guy that did that other mario browser base game released the source code compile when he was shutdown,it's literally a portable version that can be played,with map editor & start at any stage
Probably why Nintendo shut down that version, because they have a Mario Maker game coming out for the Wii U, which allows you to create custom boards, complete with original SMB or the new SMB U style skins.

As for the N64 redux, Nintendo has reissued those many times and still sells it on the Virtual Console, so they have a financial interest in shutting that down.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive