AfterDawn: Tech news

Microsoft accidentally confirms its oft-rumored Lumia 950 and XL models

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 01 Oct 2015 9:57 User comments (2)

Microsoft accidentally confirms its oft-rumored Lumia 950 and XL models

Microsoft accidentally posted specs for its highly-anticipated Lumia flagships, ahead of any official confirmation.
The Lumia 950 and 950 XL (codenamed Cityman and Talkman) will be Microsoft's Windows 10 reference devices, and there have been various leaks over the past nine months that appear to have been accurate given the new listings.

If you want the 950, you are getting a 5.2-inch WQHD display, Windows 10, 32GB internal storage (with a microSD slot for more) and a 20MP camera with a Carl Zeiss lens and optics. The 950 XL is basically the same, spec wise (from what we can see) except it will have a larger 5.7-inch WQHD display.

Although unlisted, both devices are expected to also have USB Type-C connections, wireless charging, Windows Hello biometric unlocking support, and support for the Surface Pen stylus.

Microsoft has an event set up for October 6th, where we expect to get an official unveiling of the devices and a new Surface tablet, as well.

Winbeta

Previous Next  

2 user comments

12.10.2015 23:44

Windows phones man.........Best F'ing phone OS on the market. Comparable to IOS but since it's not an Apple product, it wins extra points in my opinion.

Seriously, windows phones are faster, faster over time, less prone to violations (assuming you don't rampantly download bogus apps from their clusterfu*ked and crappy store), easier to use, more friendly and essentially accomplish the exact same thing as any other cellular device. Android is a mish-mash of nonsense crap that is overblown and under developed and insecure as Hell. All renditions of Android sucks balls and Android needs a serious replacement.

Props to Google for getting Android out and sparking the cell phone industry...no other props deserved. Android releases suck all equally.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 02 Oct 2015 @ 11:45

24.10.2015 18:43

Originally posted by hearme0:
Windows phones man.........Best F'ing phone OS on the market. Comparable to IOS but since it's not an Apple product, it wins extra points in my opinion.

Seriously, windows phones are faster, faster over time, less prone to violations (assuming you don't rampantly download bogus apps from their clusterfu*ked and crappy store), easier to use, more friendly and essentially accomplish the exact same thing as any other cellular device. Android is a mish-mash of nonsense crap that is overblown and under developed and insecure as Hell. All renditions of Android sucks balls and Android needs a serious replacement.

Props to Google for getting Android out and sparking the cell phone industry...no other props deserved. Android releases suck all equally.
What issues have you had with android phones? I haven't had any, but I also have never had issues with any phones for the past 20 years. I guess im just either lucky or lapse of putting things on my phone.

I will say replacement batteries suck but thats for most phones.

Ill probably try the windows phone since I need a 2nd phone purely for business. The last thing that I had which was close (gui) was the old treo 700. I think?

However there are a lot of people on this site bashing W10 so im not sure how the reception of that phone is going to be by joe public.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 04 Oct 2015 @ 6:45

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
2 user comments
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive