AfterDawn: Tech news

MPAA shuts down web version of Popcorn Time but site moves to new domain

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 21 Oct 2015 9:06 User comments (5)

MPAA shuts down web version of Popcorn Time but site moves to new domain The newly released web version of Popcorn Time has already been taken down, but the site has quickly found a new domain.
Browser Popcorn was taken down by the MPAA, and its 15-year-old owner Milan Kragujevic posted a message to the old domain: "Browser Popcorn has been taken down by the E.V.I.L. money-grabbing s**tlords of America, The Motion Picture Association of Murica [sic]."

The site has now moved to browserpopcorn.gq after the MPAA made sure his original web host took the site down. "Basically, MPAA sent me a [cease and desist] letter and contacted my hosting provider and domain registrar and ordered them to take down the infringing content," Kragujeviche added. "I live in a country where copyright law is almost nonexistent, and simply I don't care. I will keep moving the website, changing domains and providers."

Source:
Verge

Previous Next  

5 user comments

121.10.2015 10:24

DO NOT TOUCH IT - I have never seen so much spam and pop ups since merely looking at the site - NEVER AGAIN

221.10.2015 10:41

Originally posted by marleyboy:
DO NOT TOUCH IT - I have never seen so much spam and pop ups since merely looking at the site - NEVER AGAIN
Using a basic popup blocker is all you need. Adblock also works.

No spam/pop ups for me....

321.10.2015 12:40

PopcornTime is without any nobility or integrity.

Coincidentally this little fruitcup punk biatch "Milan Kragujevic" is an Eastern European that has little to no regard for SOME IP respect.

Terrible website and continuing on with a terrible and illicit program as is PopcornTime.

No forgiveness for anything this kid gets as punishment.

423.10.2015 00:05

Pardon..? You apparently missed the whole "my country has almost no copyright laws" bit.

523.10.2015 04:41

My problem with Popcorn Time is that it uses bit torrent which forces you to share what you're downloading which can get you in legal trouble.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
2 user comments
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive