AfterDawn: Tech news

Is Microsoft's Edge browser storing your private browsing data?

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 28 Jan 2016 6:16 User comments (7)

Is Microsoft's Edge browser storing your private browsing data?

Microsoft Edge, the company's evolution for Internet Explorer, may be storing data it should not be.
The browser, which launched last year with Windows 10, has an 'incognito' browsing mode called InPrivate which is supposed to ensure that your browsing history and habits are not tracked nor stored. According to researcher Ashish Singh, InPrivate is not protecting you as it should.

Singh says that any site visited while InPrivate can be recovered by examining the app's WebCache file. The sites are stored in a "Container_m" table just like your regular browsing history is.

"The not-so-private browsing featured by Edge makes its very purpose seem to fail," Singh wrote.

Microsoft has confirmed it is investigating the reports: "We recently became aware of a report that claims InPrivate tabs are not working as designed," a Microsoft spokesperson added, "and we are committed to resolving this as quickly as possible."

Source:
Verge via Forensic Focus

Previous Next  

7 user comments

129.1.2016 19:22

Thank you Ashish :)

Detecting stuff like this is out of my area of expertise.

230.1.2016 16:50

I'm never going to use Windows 10, as I tried it and it stinks big time, so if Microsoft stops supporting Win 7 I will go to another operating system.

330.1.2016 18:03

Originally posted by ronhondo:
I'm never going to use Windows 10, as I tried it and it stinks big time, so if Microsoft stops supporting Win 7 I will go to another operating system.
We've had a Mac for 8 years now and have NEVER put ANY anti-spyware/malare/virus software on here and we've had NO problems what so ever.

430.1.2016 22:12

Originally posted by fb2075:
We've had a Mac for 8 years now and have NEVER put ANY anti-spyware/malare/virus software on here and we've had NO problems what so ever.
Maybe that's where I will go ?

530.1.2016 23:10

fb2075, that is weird as I had worked on an imac that did have spyware & malware on it. you might want to get anti-virus & anti-malware programs for your computer as macs do get them as it has been reported on the news.

62.2.2016 00:10

Oh man I feel your frustration as I have gone to 10 TWICE. Once the day of release and then again about a month ago. NEVER AGAIN! At least is what I said, and say now but inevitably, Microsoft is ceasing support in 2020...which is seemingly illegal as I thought they're required to support products for 7 years after decommissioning or end-of-lifing.

Either way. 10 is indeed slower in too many respects to merit use. The slight increases in performance benchmarking are so negligible, it DEFINITELY and collectively around the tech world is said to be "not worth the upgrade". My experience it was slower. Fallout 4 averaged several FPS slower on 10 vs 7.

10 also has too many F'ing "ghosts in the machine". Little nuances and annoying quirks that occur and make you think you're seeing shit. Stuff that happens really randomly and sporadically. Edge is a pop-up playground and I will stay w/7 as long as possible BUT.............

my friend, what OS would you go to? Can't play the variety of games on MAC in any way at all. Nor on Ubuntu or Linux. It's sad cause I'd jump with ya.

72.2.2016 00:14

Originally posted by fb2075:

Oh man........how am I not surprised you're a newbie.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive