AfterDawn: Tech news

Samsung's first Ultra HD Blu-ray player is now available

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 08 Feb 2016 9:12 User comments (9)

Samsung's first Ultra HD Blu-ray player is now available

Samsung's first Ultra HD Blu-ray player is available for sale now, about two weeks earlier than expected, at least if you live in Southern California.
Retailers like Fry's have units in stock in SoCal, and online with a shipping date of the 16th or later. Other companies, like Best Buy, have updated their pre-order pages to show a February 10th ship date.

Additionally, there are some 4K Blu-rays available, as well, although the selection leaves much to be desired.

Source:
Engadget

Previous Next  

9 user comments

19.2.2016 01:24

Cool. A little late for Christmas though...

29.2.2016 17:44

but how many films are there out there to watch on 4k, only found a handful

39.2.2016 20:02

As cool as this is, I really believe physical media is on its last legs. Blu-Ray still hasn't reached the acceptance level of DVD, despite its obvious superiority. That being said, I'd love to watch the LOTR and Star Wars films in 4k!

49.2.2016 20:26

Originally posted by DarthMopar:
As cool as this is, I really believe physical media is on its last legs.
ISP's will make sure that's not the case.

59.2.2016 20:55

As cool as this is, I really believe physical media is on its last legs. Blu-Ray still hasn't reached the acceptance level of DVD, despite its obvious superiority. That being said, I'd love to watch the LOTR and Star Wars films in 4k!
For the domestic market it is.however for cloud services & data centers that need to store old not regularly accessed data it works out cheaper to store it on bluray discs,rather than on hdd's,Which are used for more recent data

too tired to find the link of article that mentioned it,i was surprised they used discs at all,it did seem logical & isn't a bad idea when i think about all the junk i've got spread over hdd's that i haven't used in a while
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 09 Feb 2016 @ 8:58

69.2.2016 21:17

I've got mine on back order from almost a month ago can hardly wait. There are plenty of native 4K/8K content out there just waiting for players but you have to have the player to play them, now is the time and only two Christmases late.

79.2.2016 23:48

I would hate for that to be the case. I realize it costs money to make physical media for these devices, but we do after all pay a decent amount for movies so we should get a physical copy. I think the majority of the people who purchase movies are collectors who want a physical copy to actually keep. I would be much less likely to purchase movies if they were downloads.

810.2.2016 06:36

Originally posted by friscolives:
I would hate for that to be the case. I realize it costs money to make physical media for these devices, but we do after all pay a decent amount for movies so we should get a physical copy. I think the majority of the people who purchase movies are collectors who want a physical copy to actually keep. I would be much less likely to purchase movies if they were downloads.
Agreed!

910.2.2016 08:59

I'm old school, too... I like having PHYSICAL media in my hands as opposed to digital copies, but gaming media may be seen as a bellwether for how we get our entertainment...The last 3 or 4 games I have purchased were digital downloads (mostly because it's getting harder to find a PC games around here).

Pros: Convenience...no chance of scratching or misplacing an expensive disk.

Cons: If streaming, you're at the mercy of your ISP's speed and bandwidth caps. Servers inevitably go down from time to time.

I'm sure there's more pros and cons to each, but that's off the top of my head. Like I said, I love physical media, but I truly believe it's on its way out.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 10 Feb 2016 @ 9:00

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive