AfterDawn: Tech news

Apple revealed a new iPad with old tech

Written by Matti Robinson @ 21 Mar 2017 10:41 User comments (5)

Apple revealed a new iPad with old tech Apple has today revealed new products in its annual Spring Event. The event usually pales in contrast to the main fall event which iPhone is used and even often garners less attention than the developer focused WWDC in June.
However, there's always some excitement when Apple releases new hardware. This time around Apple updated their iPad lineup but unfortunately it's not as exciting as one might think.

The new iPad is a refresh of the traditional 9.7 inch, lower-end, iPad. The new version even uses older tech, such as the A9 chip used in iPhone 6s. You know, the phone released in 2015.

The iPad Air has been removed from the lineup so excluding the smaller iPad mini 4 the "iPad" is now the only option in addition to iPad Pro. The new iPad has an 8 megapixel camera, 10 hours battery life, Touch ID fingerprint sensor, .

The prices start at $329 and preorders go live this Friday, March 24th. It will be available in both WiFi and WiFi+Cellular, latter of which starts at $459, 32 or 128 GB, and in Silver, Gold and Space Gray.

Previous Next  

5 user comments

122.3.2017 11:35

Ipads and tablets, what an F'ing waste.

When I see someone with an actual "Ipad" (even as opposed to an Android tablet - which is even more lame), I laugh and think that holding, carrying or travelling with an Ipad is tantamount to a fanny pack.

Ipad users are LO-SERS

222.3.2017 16:46

Originally posted by hearme0:

When I see someone with an actual "Ipad" (even as opposed to an Android tablet - which is even more lame), I laugh and think that holding, carrying or travelling with an Ipad is tantamount to a fanny pack.

Ipad users are LO-SERS
About 300 million iPads have been sold since 2010
Thats alot of LO-SERS walking around

322.3.2017 23:39

Originally posted by sikosrus:

Ipad users are LO-SERS
A lot of people with more money than sense. I can see some uses for tablets (I use mine as an e-reader and I've considered using one as a head unit in my car). Still, can't imagine why I would want to spend so much more for an Apple with fewer features. Heck, even if I got a billion dollars as a gift and money was never an issue again, I'd still prefer a nice stock rooted android. ...But then I don't understand why someone would want to wear a metal spike through their ear or a chain around their neck so that might explain why I don't see the value in having a silhouette of a partially eaten piece of fruit on a crummy overpriced piece of tech. Maybe it's just like the iWatch with the gold band...it says to the world, "I'm rich enough to throw away money on trash and also to pay others to do things for me because I don't know how to do them myself."

424.3.2017 10:55

Originally posted by KillerBug:
Originally posted by sikosrus:

Ipad users are LO-SERS
A lot of people with more money than sense. I can see some uses for tablets (I use mine as an e-reader and I've considered using one as a head unit in my car). Still, can't imagine why I would want to spend so much more for an Apple with fewer features. Heck, even if I got a billion dollars as a gift and money was never an issue again, I'd still prefer a nice stock rooted android. ...But then I don't understand why someone would want to wear a metal spike through their ear or a chain around their neck so that might explain why I don't see the value in having a silhouette of a partially eaten piece of fruit on a crummy overpriced piece of tech. Maybe it's just like the iWatch with the gold band...it says to the world, "I'm rich enough to throw away money on trash and also to pay others to do things for me because I don't know how to do them myself."
Enjoy your piece of shit Android and move along! You don't see the value because you're an Android user. Apple products are similar to cars. Would you rather have a Hyundai or a Mercedes? If you pick the Hyundai then you're an idiot. You're also right about another thing you posted. If you have to question yourself spending $400 for an iPad then you shouldn't buy the iPad. That's why Kindles and Galaxy tablets were produced.

524.3.2017 23:02

Originally posted by Bad8511:
Enjoy your piece of shit Android and move along! You don't see the value because you're an Android user. Apple products are similar to cars. Would you rather have a Hyundai or a Mercedes? If you pick the Hyundai then you're an idiot. You're also right about another thing you posted. If you have to question yourself spending $400 for an iPad then you shouldn't buy the iPad. That's why Kindles and Galaxy tablets were produced.
You got that backwards...I don't see the value, so I am an Android user. I've used iDevices and they are terrible; even when jailbroken they are so limited. Android isn't great but it's the best of a handful of bad options right now.

And yeah...can't justify $400 for an iPad. Also can't justify $400 for a $100 bill. If that means I am a cheapskate and you are not, I have some $100 bills to sell you.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive