1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

“Unrecognized Disc Error” - Please Help...........

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by mallett, Mar 27, 2009.

1. mallett

mallett Member

Hi everyone,

I am having problems all of a sudden with “Unrecognized Disc.” I have a .dvd file and an .iso file for each game backup.

Also, on many occasions I get the unreadable disc (not “Unrecognized Disc” ) error on the Xbox360 dashboard with games that work perfectly – when they eventually run!!

Here are my results:

• Wheelman – burned at 4x, 1x – Both failed. – displays “Unrecognized Disc” immediately before booting.
    • Prince of Persia – Failed at 2.4x - displays “Unrecognized Disc” immediately before booting.
    • Resident evil 5 – Failed 3 Times 1x, 2.4x and 4x straight after you hear a man scream and you have to run past some market stalls and up the steps to open the door; then it comes up “Unrecognized Disc.”
    Race pro – ok – THIS PROVES THE DISCS ARE O.K!!!
    Silent hill homecoming – ok – THIS PROVES THE DISCS ARE O.K!!!

I have tried using Imgburn and Clonecd with Verbatim DVD+R DL 8.5Gb discs (following all tutorials step for step) and haven’t had a single problem since the first day I had my 360 flashed...until now.

I am unsure which firmware version I am running and any other info as I didn’t flash my 360 myself!

I am extremely confused to why this problem persists – I won’t let the kids play the originals cos they don’t last long!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

mallett

2. leerage

leerage Regular member

Since you have proved that the discs are OK, what type of Dual Layer burner are you using?

You could try and upgrade the firmware of the Burner if there is an upgrade.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, I would purchase a new burner.

I had a DL Lite-ON burner that originally came with my desktop. I would get successful burns and then sometimes coasters. I would occasionally get a Disc Unreadable. So I decided to purchase a new DL burner and that has solved all my problems. I purchased a Samsung SH-223Q for 25$ at NewEgg and I haven't burned a coaster since. Using verbs at 4x.

3. bd911

bd911 Regular member

Race PRo and Mallet does NOT prove the discs are okay, but does give you some confidence that they may be. I have heard of whole spindles being junk, not specifically verbatim but other manufacturers. Are your Verbs MIS? Anyway I have an idea that may help you isolate your problem... (I haven't had your particular symtom so I am just brainstorming) Try running your .iso through abgx from the dvd to burnt it to. What I mean is put the burnt game into your pc's drive and selcect that .iso from abgx. Of course it can't fix it but let it do all the stealth checks and most importantly the "game data crc" checks. Now if this fails then I would point to a bad .iso or something wrong with your dl buner and/or media. If it doesn't fail it doesn't rule out those items but may be more likey to be the lazer in your xbox drive. If all else fails try running some utility checking software on your burner, such as DVD Speed or something like that.
    One quick question.... when using ImgBurn does the "buffer" stay comepletely full until the burning approaches %90+ ????

4. mallett

mallett Member

leerage thx for the reply my drive is an ASUS DRW-2014L1T 1.00 (ATA)
    i'm currently looking for the 1.02 firmware update!

Hi bd911, thanks again.

All i can see on the tub is that they are made in INDIA ? and the two letters "AZ"
    I have attached an image of the prince of persia .iso (LEFT) and the wheelman .iso (RIGHT) ran through agbx:
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    I had a go at re-burning Prince of Persia - here are some pics of the burn:
    [​IMG]
    <p>
    [​IMG]
    <p>

Also, the buffer, and device buffer does stay 100% till the tray ejects, and re-closes to verify the image.
    [​IMG]

oh dear, this just happened!
    [​IMG]

Persia now works????????? whooooo the kids will love it :) thx guys!

ok...update
    persia just froze
    tried re-loading 2nd time, went straight off like a dream! oops froze again!

so many things wrong!!! lol ah well, another coaster!!

Lets try again!

I had a 100% burn using clonecd about a week ago i'm going to try it with the fixed .iso

CloneCD result:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    100% success rate

UNRECOGNIZED DISC !!!

Something is still wrong! hope i didn't bore you all with my essay!

I also hope that this thread will help a lot of other people :)

Thanks for your time...

5. bd911

bd911 Regular member

sorry.... once I seen Miss March 27th on your desktop I completely ignored all your logs. Is she available for interview? I'm hiring!!!

okay.. 2nd try.. read the logs of image burn. Damn she is hot!!!
    anyway. what version of image burn is that? have you checked for online updates? The only reason I even asked that is cuz your progress bars are solid blue, mine are dashed green???????

I noticed your device buffer is empty. Also your log keeps saying "waiting for device to be ready". You CPU/RAM widget on your desktop is also showing your ram hovering at %50 and your cpu isn't doing jack. I know it's vista but do you have at least 2 gig ram? Your device buffer should not empty when the disc is only half done buring. I didn't see anything in your abgx log about checking your game data. You need to increase verbosity. I will almost bet that your burnt iso's will fail that(game crc check). Your problem is either with the burner (but I think you were betting on that cuz I see you are looking for a firmware update) or....... or your pc setup. Something could be hogging resources when you are burning. Are you surfing the net or watching a video on your puter while burning?

PS.. I can't remember if you go on live but if you do, stop playing these f'd up discs. They might flag your console for a future ban. Take a look at what I mentioned above, update your burner firmware, and try again.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  6. mallett

mallett Member

lol i wish she was hiring that's Carmella Decesare!... :)

I am currently using imgburn 2.4.1.0 there is an update available - version 2.4.2.0, should i update?

Something is wrong with my widgets :0 here's my spec:

q6600 quad core
    1x hd3870 graphics card
    4gb geil ram

i have these programs running:

wmp 11 - tunes
    msn
    firefox
    Free download manager

I'm already banned from Live!

I'm looking for a firmware update for my drive as we speak
    I don't quite understand what you mean here! sorry

thanks again......

7. bd911

bd911 Regular member

in regards to abgx...on the options tab make sure the following two options are ticked : Check for AnyDVD style corruption
    Check Game Partition CRC when needed
    Also on the options tab where there is a pull down menu for Verbosity, make sure you are medium or greater.

These options will force a Game CRC check and the verbosity will display the results.

8. mallett

mallett Member

hi 911,

I ran abgx for the wheelman.iso - here's the pic:
    [​IMG]

I think i adjusted the abgx program right?
    [​IMG]

Still running tests will report back soon ;)

9. bd911

bd911 Regular member

okie dokie... standing by..

phew... is it hot in here or is just Carmella?

10. lawmancop

lawmancop Regular member

I totally agree with bd911, It's not like I dont want to help you out with your problem, but Carmella takes your issues and put them all in the trash, She's Hot!!!

11. mallett

mallett Member

haha she's in a few of the basshunter music videos!- worth checking out for sure :)

So my setings look good ya? I ended up updating my imgburn to 2.4.2.0 and am still trying to upgrade my drives firmware, but can't find anything:(

I also noticed that i only have abgx v0.94 so i upgraded to version 1.0.1 :) I re-ran the wheelman .iso thru abgx 1.0.1:
    [​IMG]

Next, i ran 1.0.1 on another computer of mine with the wheelman .iso and then burnt off a copy. Img burn reported "waiting for buffers to recover every minute! The device buffer and main buffer were always fluctuating through the burn! It might be because i was getting screen shots and surfing the net etc whilst burning?

Here's the final outcome: I/0 Error at 50% during verification on my other computer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also tried re-burning the wheelman.iso (after it had been fixed by abgx) on my original computer with the asus burner and keep getting this error:
    [​IMG]

I've got my eye on this Samsung SH-223Q burner from:
    here as leerage suggested.
    Do you think this is the next best step? or can i get a better suited writer? - i have to get the best for my 360 :)

I can't seem to find DVD Speed, are there any other programs anyone knows of that can test my writer before i buy another?

12. lawmancop

lawmancop Regular member

Honestly, imgburn is the best to burn 360 backup games. I think your better off buying another burner. They are inexpensive these days.

13. mallett

mallett Member

is the Samsung SH-223Q my best choice for 360 burning?

Does the wheelman .iso look ok to you?

What is the reason for the I/O error on my other pc? is that burner broken too?

14. mallett

mallett Member

I ust burn't a successful copy of wheelman :)

Here's the log:

[​IMG]

Maybe abgx repaired the iso?

i'm confused..