1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.9b wiikey update and 1.3 disk config IMG burn Problems need help

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by culius, Sep 27, 2007.

1. anthoj

anthoj Member

I figured it out!

I had everything done right, except for one thing...I used a cheap DVD-R media, which screwed up the entire thing. Someone gave me these 50 pack x-brand dvd-r, and it sucks... after using a proper brand dvd-r, everything works flawlessly. Again, thanks for the instructions xboxguru and others.

Thanks again,

Tony

2. Colten

Colten Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2007
  3. anthoj

anthoj Member

Hey,

There are a couple of things that you might want to do. First, try using the filechop to resize the file to it's proper size. Notice that the iso image is only 6 MB large. What you want to do is just run cmd and go to that same folder where u put your iso in, and just type in "fixsize.cmd bootdisc.us.iso" and it will resize that iso file into 1.4 GB mini DVD size. Then you can burn that image using Nero. Normally Nero does the filechopping automatically, but it may have caused an issue.

The second thing you might want to try is finding another dvd-media to burn it on. It could very well be the medias you use.

Btw, you ARE able to read backups right?

Anyways, let me know how it works out. I am not a professional at this field by any means, but I spent an entire weekend trying to configure my wii and finally got it to work...so, hopefully that will help.

Tony

4. nihoniiru

nihoniiru Member

i am trying to play a REAL copy of biohazard: umbrella chron. on my US wii and it keeps giving me a disc error. i have a wiikey installed and have already updated my system with the 1.9b hotfix via wiikey.cn. i was wondering if anyone could help me out here so i can load this bad boy at shoot me up some zombies.

5. nihoniiru

nihoniiru Member

oh, i forgot to mention that the game i'm trying to load is the japanese version.

6. anthoj

anthoj Member

Well, if you want to do that, then you need to turn region free on. You can to this by dowloading the Config iso and burn it onto a DVD-R, boot it up in your wii and select the option (read the readme on how to use it). The latest version is 1.3 Here's the link for convenience.

http://www.wiikey.cn/resources.html

There is however a chance that you may not be able to run the config on your Wii. This is a known problem, and the alternative is to create a GCOS boot disc and insert programs (1.3 config) into to disc and run it from there. Read the posts for this thread from the beginning and you will understand how to go about doing this. Or you could Google it.

Hope that helps.

7. Colten

Colten Guest

What do you mean by backups? If you mean normal Wii discs then yes I can

8. nihoniiru

nihoniiru Member

i have just one question, can i burn this bootdisc using toast?

9. anthoj

anthoj Member

I'm not sure if it does or not, but if it doesn't, then use imgburn. It is a free software I believe.

10. ragit

ragit Member

oddly the setup disc is now bootable ??? whether the initial 1.9g didnt take or not is unknown but now its fine and although i used the gcos to access it and re-run the 1.9g with a finale of Homers voice , i later found that the setup disc has no probs in being read by the drive ??? go figure

11. etc

etc Member

hi guys, so my scenario here is that i have a ntsc-j wii. Can someone tell me which version of the 1.9g disc i burn? Would it affect or break my Wii if i flash it again after a previous attempt with the jap version which was succesful? After i update 1.9g, the only update disc that works is 1.3 correct? I tried 1.2 but that didnt work at all. My Wii is currently semi bricked right now. If I update to 1.9g firmware and set the proper settings with my setup disc then load SMG (Jap) would it fix my semi-brick? Updating my 2.2J to 3.0J in the process won't further break my wii right?

Sorry, this is a long post but i really want to know the answers to this question. Any help is appreciated. Thanks to anyone who helps!

12. lennaerts

lennaerts Member

Hello all wii users.

I have still a problem, all the patches did good till so far, but i get most off the time a disc error. When i turn the wii back on, it still get the error. Before the patch 1.9g.beta, i did not had the error's. What is going on here. I read the hole forum, and some have the same thing, but no sollution. Can any one tell me, the soluttion for this.
    Again, it worked perfect till i used the 1.9 beta firmware.

13. spawn1980

spawn1980 Regular member

I have a problem after updating to 1.9b and using the Config 1.3 to change the Region override to ON I was about to change the DVDR Discspeed from 6 to 3 but didn't. Only the Region override to ON was change then saved. NOW my backups are originals don't work. Please help.

14. Xb0xGuru

Xb0xGuru Member

If anyone is having problems after flashing/changing settings, give the recovery disk a go. You can get it from

http://www.wiikey.cn/resources.html

This is what the readme says (rather than have to download it first):

.------------------------------------------------------------------.
    | - wiiKey recovery disc v1.9b - |
    |------------------------------------------------------------------|
    | |
    | Recovering from a bad flash |
    | --------------------------- |
    | Please note that this is an emergency procedure which should not |
    | have to be performed. If the flashing was interrupted for any |
    | reason the chip is left in a state where it cannot operate fully.|
    | |
    | Burning the recovery disc image |
    | ------------------------------- |
    | As media support in Recovery Mode is limited we recommend you |
    | use DVD-R only for the recovery disc. Burn it with Toast, Image |
    | Burner, or cdrecord. |
    | |
    | Performing the update |
    | --------------------- |
    | |
    | - Switch on Wii and eject any disc in drive |
    | - Insert recovery disc and reset Wii |
    | - Wait for at least 3 minutes. There will *not* be any sign that |
    | the wiikey is recovering, and the recovery disc will not appear |
    | in Wii menu. |
    | - Power off the Wii and switch it back on again. wiiKey should |
    | now have recovered its firmware, and EEPROM will be restored to |
    | default settings. |
    | |
    | |

15. lennaerts

lennaerts Member

I did do the recovery, but still, the disk give me the same error.
    Some times, i can get in the game, and then the error screen is coming back again. I always use the Nashua dvd's, and always worked. But not anymore.

16. mors21

mors21 Member

hello... im a noob at this stuff and being as such... i plugged in a pal back-up game and my wii's a ntsc-u. so it semi-bricked, i forgot to check for updates for my wiikey and plugged in smg ntsc-u and it updated, now my situation is... firmware is of smg but wiikey firware isnt 1.9b or 1.9g. i burned both. used the reset method and it said that the updates were successful and yet i cant play smg... any ideas? desperately wanting to unbrick my wii. thanks :)

17. Xb0xGuru

Xb0xGuru Member

Well in that case it's the media. Use cheap disks and this is what happens. Either use Taiyo Yudens or Ritek/Arita media.

18. ktheking

ktheking Member

Creating DVD's for wii :

Which DVD is the best to use ? :
    -buy some different BRANDS (TDK,SONY,VERBATIM,etc.).
    burn the same game in single speed on it.

Load the game ,and measure the starting speed.
    The fastest loading brand ,is the good one to use.

Since different brands of readers ,might be used for multiple series of wii's ,this result might be very different for each and every wii (depending on serial number).
    Once you figured this one out. Stick to this brand.

For the writing of your DVD's ,try to use single speed writing.
    Many will claim that writing speed won't make a difference ,but IT DOES (especially if you're not sure about the media quality)!

DVD/CD recording are using the same chemical principles as when the first single speed cd recorder saw daylight.Overtime multiple error correction systems on readers and writer rendered higher possible speeds. But still the best result is gotten at the lowest burning speed.
    Check slide 17 over here : http://www.itl.nist.gov/iad/894.05/gipwog/mar-9-05/VerbatimMar05.ppt

K.
    Electronics engineer
    Linux,Unix,Windoze Admin

19. spawn1980

spawn1980 Regular member

I found this on a differant fourm I don't know if it works because I don't know what are where is the wiikey header.

"sorted...

the header on the wii key had come loose, the 6x dvd must have vibrated it free.

great stuff.

smg works a treat. "

20. Xb0xGuru

Xb0xGuru Member

Check this page:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

It's a useful link to compare your Disk ID with the actual quality.