1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.9b wiikey update and 1.3 disk config IMG burn Problems need help

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by culius, Sep 27, 2007.

1. lennaerts

lennaerts Member

Ok, i will try to use other media's. Can i just disc copy the copy's in nero?

2. lennaerts

lennaerts Member

3. anthoj

anthoj Member

Well, in Nero, you want to open up the ISO and then burn it...try to burn at lower speed...(2x - 8x) to ensure success. Higher speeds decrease your chances of burning the disc correctly. If you have access to a friend's modded Wii, try that as well. See if it reads it correctly on his/hers.

Hope that helps.

4. syphon4

syphon4 Member

hi guys need a little help if you can.

i have my wii with ver.3.0u made a backup of smg,ran the update and of course got the error 001. message.
    read awhole wack of threads and deceided to go ahead and do the wiikey update 1.9b.us.
    made my update 1.9 dvd put it in the wii, recognized the gamecube dvd and started. tryed to leave the dvd in the drive through the whole update went all the way to 100% then got the error message:

error: test failed!
    check your connections and try again

did this another 4 times and the same thing.
    tried it again but with the ejecting of the disc just before you hit reset. this way it claims to work fine cause at the end it says to insert token and when i press the reset one more time homer speaks.
    now i tried smg backup and when i press the start button it still comes up with the error 001. blah blal.

im now lost if anyone can help thanks ahead...

5. Xb0xGuru

Xb0xGuru Member

What media are you writing your update disc to? Who installed the WiiKey? Is this the first update you've tried?

6. spawn1980

spawn1980 Regular member

install a wiikey which turn out pretty good until I updated to 1.9b and used config 1.3 now I can't play any of my copied Originals but I can play my originals I tried every step but nothing works.

Original Wiikey
    Wii 3.1U

7. anthoj

anthoj Member

Did you turn on region free using the config 1.3? You should try and see if that works. Also, check to see if all your solder points are still intact. Also, any game that comes after the Super Mario Galaxy needs 1.9g to be played due to new copyright protections.

8. spawn1980

spawn1980 Regular member

Yes I turn on region override with config 1.3 but after I saved it and powered off and on the wii it can't read any copies

9. syphon4

syphon4 Member

guru thanks
    im writing my update to philips dvd-r 4.7
    wiikey was installed professionally and all my backups made before smg still work perfectly fine.
    and yes this is my first update i tried.

sorry for the long response time had to step out.

10. syphon4

syphon4 Member

guru thanks
    im writing my update to philips dvd-r 4.7
    wiikey was installed professionally and all my backups made before smg still work perfectly fine.
    and yes this is my first update i tried.

sorry for the long response time had to step out.

also just tried hp dvd-r at a slow speed same thing happens, homer talks.
    then tried smg backup and then that famous error #001.

just again as a reminder... all my backups with hp dvd-r and philips dvd-r all still work fine.

11. Xb0xGuru

Xb0xGuru Member

One point on the WiiKey is used over other chips - check the installs for CycloWiz and WiiD to see the extra point which these two aren't using. It's possible this point isn't connected properly - without seeing an image of the install, It's only speculation but right now that's all I can think of. I only had this issue once but a re-run of the update sorted it.

12. syphon4

syphon4 Member

guru i have not opened my wii on my own and nor do i really want to but i would think that if it had something to do with the point not connected properly it would interrupt the use of the other backups wouldnt you?

13. anthoj

anthoj Member

I know that this question was not directed at me, but in my opinion, no, your previous back ups will not work if your solder points come loose.

So, I'm still not 100% sure I'm getting it. Can you or can you not read your old backups? If you can, then you need to update to 1.9g to run newer backups, if you can't, and if you think it started happening right after you updated your wii, then re-run the update disc and make sure that the update is a success.

Hope it helps.

14. jaysexy21

jaysexy21 Member

I just got my wii chipped n the guy said go to http://www.wiikey.cn and update it. Only problem is http://www.wiikey.cn has something about a linux test page. I can't download no updates.

Can someone upload 9b wiikey update and 1.3 disk config IMG for me?

Thanks

15. Xb0xGuru

Xb0xGuru Member

I haven't actually tried not soldering the extra point on the WiiKey as I've had no reason to. I'm doing a couple more in the coming week - I'll leave that point and see if the chip works for copies. I'll then try and update and hopefully should be a little more clear as to why it's there.

16. syphon4

syphon4 Member

guru thanks i will be waiting to hear...

17. jean001

jean001 Member

Can somebody tell me where to find the recent wiikey update files for Pal wii? the website wiikey.cn seems to be down. i updated my wii with the SMG game and now the game does not work.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  18. spawn1980

spawn1980 Regular member

What is the extra point on the wiikey. What is it for.

19. jlph86

jlph86 Member

Hello. Just need some help here. I'm having a jap wii with wiikey. The firmware's 3.1j and i've updated wiikey till 1.9b. The thing is i've been having some problem burning gamecube iso. I've burnt working ones (mario sunshine and zelda wind waker) but there seems to be a problem when i burn animal crossing (pal) and smash bros melee (ntsc i presume). The wii recognises the discs as gc discs but when i play them, it only displays a BLUE screen. the game is running ( i can hear sound effects and confirmations when i press the gamepad) but it's just that the screen is purely blue and nothing else. Can't seem to figure what's wrong.

20. EngyRoc

EngyRoc Member

For all you folks still having problems with the 1.3 config disc on update 1.9b for the WiiKey... In my case, it is an NTSC Wii and the problem was dvd region-related...

I had similar problems where the 1.3 config disc would not boot, like many folks here. When the 1.3 disc was inserted, either nothing would happen, or the disc would respond with a DRE.

My WiiKey was brand new, freshly flashed with 1.9b. The Wii would play real games as well as *some* of the games (images) I burned. Reading all of these threads, I tried padding the image, using multiple burners (I have 4), using different media +/- Rs, etc), using different burning software (ImgBurn and Nero 6.3.0.3) and nothing helped. There was nothing I did that consistenly produced a "good" or "bad" discs - either the *images* worked, or they did not.

In my trials, I made about 6 config 1.3 discs, none of which worked beyond being identified as a "GameCube" disc in my modded Wii.

By strange chance, I realized this weekend that the images that did NOT work on my Wii were typicallly PAL ISOs. I don't pay much attention to region when I grab a game... But since I had only flashed my WiiKey once, I never had a chance to configure it with the setup/config disc, thus I never had a chance to TURN ON REGION-FREE!!

With that as my theory, I believed that the 1.3 "us" image from wiikey.cn that I got last week (before the site went down) was actually PAL encoded, not NTSC. I wanted to flash to an older firmware, but since WiiKey's site was down, I had no access to anything other than 1.9b... Argh...

With no firmware available other than 1.9b and 1.9g (no way I am installing 1.9g at this point - we're talking 30 hours of researching and trying to configure this POS). I decide to try the 1.2 config disc. Luckily, I found a torrent of a us.bootimage (NTSC) of 1.2 from a dude that guaranteed he had made the image correctly. I DL'd that image and burned it. Dropped it into my Wii and BOOM!! I can now set the REGION FREE to ON. Woot.

I immediately put one of the "bad" 1.3 config discs in, and it worked. As a matter of fact, all 6 work. I used the 1.3 disc to set (again) REGION FREE to ON, again (just being paranoid). Now almost all of the PAL discs I burned previously also work. The remaining ones that do not work are probably bad ISOs from what I read on the NGs...

I'm positive the "us" image iso they had in the Config 1.3 RAR *that I downloaded* has the wrong region, and that would explain why so many people (like me) are having problems with that ISO - either:

- if you didn't already have REGIONFREE set to ON, the 1.3 disc simply won't boot.
    - or, the 1.9b update flash SETs region free to OFF as part of the flash process (?) I don't know.

Someone else with a HexEditor and the time/patience may want to verify the "us" iso image, but I won't.

To be fair, the WiiKey install was amazingly easy, but the software and configuration of the chip is excessively tedious. I was impressed with the hardware, but sadly disappointed in the software side of the team. Admittedly, I'm new to the Wii modding scene - but this isn't a great way to start... lol...

For those who care, the file I extracted from "config.1.3.rar" is:

bootdisc.us.iso (~6.8mb) - WinRar reports the CRC32 as 41FA6671

Hope this info helps other folks out there that are stuck, and I apologize if this info has already been posted.

Roc