1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.9b wiikey update and 1.3 disk config IMG burn Problems need help

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by culius, Sep 27, 2007.

1. rafadawn

rafadawn Regular member

Links to the original Wiikey resource files and more are posted here

2. spawn1980

spawn1980 Regular member

Just a Update
    Hey everybody I just got back my wii from florida. The problem was the chip died so I got it replaced with a new wiikey Original and everything is working PERFECTLY even Mario. Thanks again for all your help everybody and HAPPY HOLIDAYS...

3. syphon4

syphon4 Member

sorry guys still trying to figure this one out.

after i run the update and hear homers voice do i have to run the original smg and run the update again or run the backup right away?

4. anthoj

anthoj Member

Well, for me, I ran the update 1.9g, then I inserted a backup of SMG and it asked me to update my wii, which I did...and then everything works.

5. Dannon

Dannon Member

After reading this whole thread carefully and trying every little thing mentioned I eventually had to sign up to give my story to see if any of you kind souls would have any advice:

I installed a clone Wiikey in July and everything was working fine, I bought SMG and backed it up in mid November, after a few weeks of playing several different backups it stopped working randomly, though originals still worked.

I took the Wii apart and found that one of the pads on the main board where one of the points was soldered on had come off, this was irritating but not worrying, I found a map of the layout from that point to the D2B chip and attached a small wire to the correct leg.

Well I tested it all, tested the connections from the Wiikey to the D2B chip and all the relevant points worked fine and nothing seemed to be shorted.

Only my original discs would work form this points forward.

I had a spare Wiikey, clone again, so I put this is in, and this should be technically brand new as it has not been used before. Upon installing this and checking all the connections again everything looks fine, there are no shorts and everything looks well. Unfortunately now neither orignals nor backups work, the only thing that does anything is putting in either the 1.2 or 1.3 boot disc and all they do is bring up the GC logo on the start screen and when I start I get the obligatory "Remove disc, turn off, etc..."

I have tried creating a few GCOS discs of my own and I have downloaded ones that other people have uploaded from psx-forums, I think they're actually on Rapidshare but that's neither here nor there.

So the current state:

My Wii is currently running the 3.1E firmware.
    No backups work - Disc not recognised
    No originals work - Disc not recognised
    No boot discs work - tried 1.2 (should not work anyway as 3.1E installed) and 1.3, GC logo shows but "Remove disc, turn off, etc..." displayed when run
    No update discs work - Disc not recognised, tried not 1.9b and 1.9g

Any suggestions? Please?

I am aware these are clones but I have done a few for friends and none of the others seemed to have failed. I have read a couple of reports that people have had problems similar to mine a few weeks after putting the 1.9g update on.

6. rafadawn

rafadawn Regular member

Go to my thread here.

Go to page 7 and read how ___666___ was able to solve the same problem following my suggestions.

7. Xb0xGuru

Xb0xGuru Member

In short -

If you install a Clone WiiKey on a v3 upwards Wii, originals and backups won't work straight off. This is what you need to do.

Take a copy of the 1.3 config ISO. Open it in a HEX Editor and change the 1st 6 numbers to 50 50 50 50 50 50, so the first three hex characters read PPPPPP. Now pad this out with filechop and burn to a disk. Run this and once you've configured the WiiKey clone with this, originals and backups should now work. You can now update to 1.9g and re-run the same 1.3 Config disk should you want to.

8. Xb0xGuru

Xb0xGuru Member

Sorry - above should have been with a GCOS disk, not the 1.3 config!!

9. Dannon

Dannon Member

Right then, I followed XbOxGuru's instructions and it's all working fine again now after a bit of effort and swapping discs.

What I did was edit the GCOS 1.3 boot disc that I got from here and then ran it on the Wii, the GCOS boot menu came up and kept asking how I wanted to run the disc, PAL, NTSC, Auto Detect, etc, but no matter what I pressed the thing wouldn't start so whilst it was on this I ejected the disc and put in the 1.9b boot disc, the GCOS menu changed to a Boot DVD option when I ejected the boot disc so I clicked Boot DVD once the 1.9b disc was in and it all loaded up fine and updated fine, I was as giddy as a school girl.

After this had updated I reset the console and put in the original 1.3 boot disc (No GCOS) and it all loaded up fine, I changed all the settings, saved the settings and then clicked on Reset the console but no games, neither original or backups would work. I put the 1.3 boot disc in again and the settings seemed to be back at default, so I changed them again, saved and then clicked Reset the console again, same again nothing worked. So I went back into 1.3 boot disc again, changed settings, saved but this time I just reset the Wii using the Reset button rather than the on screen option. When it all loaded back up everything seemed to be working fine.

So I'm now running a 3.1E Wii with a clone Wiikey on the 1.9b firmware. I've decided not to upgrade to the 1.9g again just yet as I've read about a fair few people that have had their chip just stop a few weeks after doing so, such as here. Any ideas on what that problem could be?

Also, why is it for the cloned Wiikey boot disc you have to change the first 6 hex values to 50?

Anyway, a great thanks for your help, I hope others can learn from this experience.

10. john0871

john0871 Member

I tried the steps above.. kinda as a semi last gasp.
    I am running 3.3, Not sure if its a clone or not, but it reads config discs, update discs, originals, and 1, yes one backup. pinbusters. couldn't have been something solid. But hey, its something.

Al other backup's produce "An error has occured" I have updated to 1.9x, config'ed with 1.3, turned on region free, verified install of chip, No changes.

Any ideas before I take the stack of 50 discs and start a wall hanging? (using verbatim Datalife plus -r.)